N-14 had an ear ache

Wrknrvr

Over the winter we did drive the truck a few times and all seamed well. So with some local fuel where trucks do buy fuel off we went. From the North Ranch in Congress Az.

Now the first 60 or so miles where hilly and a mountain to climb. Well the truck ran good before. Now it was getting warm on steep climbs. Now out on the interstate on our way to Saint Louis and east it did not have its full power. Trucks were passing and we were short on power.

There was a check engine light at next stop that kept coming on. But no such specific problem on the diagnostics. Fluids where all good.

Them finally diagnostics said engine position sensor was bad(mechanical or electrical problem). So the old sensor was only about 40000 miles old. I had the old one that was still working. And somehow I had a new one.

replaced sensor and engine started better and now the turbo is powering so that I can stay with the other trucks. It's not getting over temp or not a check light since replacement.

One might want to carry new sensors for all subjects on your engine.

Just a thought,.   It acted like an ear ache.      Just not as it should be,,      Vern

3 hours ago, Ronbo said:

also carry a fuel filter or 3. i carry 3 or 4 fleet pride filters. 

I have seen my fuel pressure go down after just a few thousand miles running Cat. filters. My fuel tanks are spotless inside. Have heard Cat. filters work too good. I carry a spare. Cat. 3406b all mechanical Duh What's a sensor. Don't make um like that anymore.

As I have suggested before, ask your engine's dealer "what part goes bad most often" aside from filters. Then carry one. I have an N14 and have always carried an EPS.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

When N14's were in common commercial use in our land - they do not like low or dirty voltage to their ECM's (don't suppose any Cummins likes that come to think of it) - from dirty battery connections. A jumper wire with alligator clips would get a stranded one started. 

Part of the injector actuator wiring is on the outside of the engine, driver side if I remember - on a high hour engine a hard load misfire could appear - a savvy tech showed me how he works the wires by hand with the engine running and an open in the wires could sometimes be made to cause a miss. High heat under high load would open the break in the wire momentarily he figgered.  This harness was 3 hundred doll hairs or so at the time - much less than removing valve covers and beginning injector experiments... this was a misfire not laziness like wrknrvr's N14 had...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

To be able to change a eps on the n14 you nead socket with a slot on the side so the wires can stick out the side. Like for a  oxygen sensor on a car.

I think it is 11/16. I made several of these in different sizes for my work. Not sure as it was last week when we were tired from traveling and trying to get to the east coast for a week. Monday we are leaving for Montana.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Archived