Do you clean your wiper blades ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

A question for you folks. Do you clean your wiper blades ? If you do, how do you do it ? I will also try a Google search on this and see what shows up.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I clean the wiper blades . If I didn't , how could I expect a clear , un-streaked windshield ?

Often , while cleaning the windshield , I'll wipe down the blades . 

We are full timers and seldom travel in adverse weather , so the wipers don't get used very often . We replace the blades every couple of years or when they no longer do a decent job . 

Goes around , comes around .

Buy quality blades.  You'll thank your self when driving in poor conditions.  Wiper blades and headlights are not the place to save pennies.

Also, buy where they move a lot of blades, so you don't get old stock.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Several of the more expensive brands of replacement wiper blades come with a little wet-nap  insert advising you to wipe down the blade when you install it and ever so often after that. Supposed to extend the life of the blade. 

Don't know what material is on the wet-nap, nor have I ever seen it anywhere else. This falls into the category of " I want to do maintenance on the truck and I have just totally run out of stuff to do"  I will do it just after I carefully lubricate with interior sun visor pivot points and inspect the seat belt buckle for wear. Then I will get to the important stuff like wiping down the door gaskets.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

1 hour ago, beyerjf said:

Several of the more expensive brands of replacement wiper blades come with a little wet-nap  insert advising you to wipe down the blade when you install it and ever so often after that. Supposed to extend the life of the blade. 

Don't know what material is on the wet-nap, nor have I ever seen it anywhere else. This falls into the category of " I want to do maintenance on the truck and I have just totally run out of stuff to do"  I will do it just after I carefully lubricate with interior sun visor pivot points and inspect the seat belt buckle for wear. Then I will get to the important stuff like wiping down the door gaskets.

Jeff,

After you have finished "Q-tip-cleaning" the radio knobs on your Studabaker(s) you might pickup a few bottles of BF Goodrich "Icex II".......

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/bfg-icex-spray.html

Don't mind the cost.......your wiper blades are......priceless.......

Used to fly a old wreck that had a placard with RED letters next to the wiper switch .............CAUTION: DO NOT OPERATE WIPERS AT INDICATED AIRSPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 289 KNOTS (332.35 M P H).

Imagine ......idling along at .......332.35 M P H with the wipers flinging the down pour of rain in the class 4 thunder-bumper you have wondered into and then the controller calls and says.........."uh........Blunderbird November 1313Romeo pick up your speed to 350 kts to provide spacing for faster trailing  traffic ........"  shucks now you gotta turn the wipers OFF and.......speed up........man , some days this job sucks.......

Now BF Goodrich Icex II is not intended to coat wipers but it works well and when the blades cost a LOT it is worth the time and trouble to coat the blades........

Bean counters used to complain about the cost of Icex II but once in a while we would climb or descend through some pretty heavy ice and I always pointed out the Icex II coated deicers that were shedding big chunks of ice and the bean counters would gladly approve the next few cases of Icex II..........best to have the bean counters "skin-in-the-game".

Drive on..........(Don't drink the .........Icex II)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I clean my wiper blades every time I clean the windshield. Just give them a good wipe the with the wet side of the squeegee and then hit them with a paper towel. You will be surprised how black the towel is when you are done. I standing up on the tire washing windows anyway just has well hit the wipers too!

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

This is easy to do and greatly prolongs their useful life: I use  a small Skotch bright pad (a used one retired from kitchen sink duty) and a product called SuperClean. It comes in a purple-colored spray bottle (NAPA) I spray down the glass and work it around with the pad, then run the pad up and down the blade a few times, then finish up with regular glass cleaner. Removes road film from both glass and blades.

it is also the only product I’ve ever found that gets the yellow off the plastic grill air intake for a fridge on an RV.

39 minutes ago, GeorgeEdwards said:

This is easy to do and greatly prolongs their useful life: I use  a small Skotch bright pad (a used one retired from kitchen sink duty) and a product called SuperClean. It comes in a purple-colored spray bottle (NAPA) I spray down the glass and work it around with the pad, then run the pad up and down the blade a few times, then finish up with regular glass cleaner. Removes road film from both glass and blades.

it is also the only product I’ve ever found that gets the yellow off the plastic grill air intake for a fridge on an RV.

Now that is some useful information . Thanks .  ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived