Jackalopee install

ewacowboy

Getting ready to install my jackalopee and looking for experiences installing it other than the jockey box.  I know the best place to install is the jockey box but I'm getting a little cramped for space with the inverter and other accessories... I'm also not a big fan of drilling holes in the cab if I don't need to.  Has anyone had any luck installing on the frame below the cab?  I was thinking of mounting it in a plastic box to help protect it from the elements.  Thoughts?  Pictures?  Experiences?

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

Outside is fine, so long as it's protected from precipitation.  If rain can get to it, it can get in it.  The "weatherproof" feature seems to be the only thing about the Jackalopee that doesn't work as advertised.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I would not recommend outside.  But that is just me, and I like to install stuff that will not have to be moved later.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Phil's right.  In the early days, I thought the weather proof box was, well, weatherproof.  It ain't.  Lying on the bed, face up, will allow moisture in and ruin the circuit board.  It doesn't help matters if you leave it that way for months and forget about it.  Henry was understanding and gave me prompt service on the purchase of a new board.  Great customer support.

So, I fastened mine to the brackets holding the cab fairing on the driver's side.  Now the clear panel is vertical, which means I can see the lights inside indicating whatever function is powered.  Handy diagnostic tool, when it's where it can be observed.  Turn signal not working?  Glance at the Jackalopee and you know where to start looking.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The box is relatively water proof, but water will get into the Jackalopee. One persistent customer finally nailed the problem. THE RV CABLE!! This cable is not molded, it's sleeved. Note that when you strip the outer jacket it just slide off with talcum and little of a paper covering. Also the wires just splay out, there are spaces between the wires.

The customer had the Jackalopee mounted low on the chassis and it kept filling with water over time. He finally used silicone around both ends in the plug and in the Jacklopee end. Also drove silicone into the casing and around and in between the wires to simulate a molded cable. Without doing all that the best "prevention is to have the cables (in and out) form an "up loop" before entering the Jackalope (the water does not flow up hill" principle). So up is better,

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Phil's right.  In the early days, I thought the weather proof box was, well, weatherproof.  It ain't.  Lying on the bed, face up, will allow moisture in and ruin the circuit board.  It doesn't help matters if you leave it that way for months and forget about it.  Henry was understanding and gave me prompt service on the purchase of a new board.  Great customer support.

So, I fastened mine to the brackets holding the cab fairing on the driver's side.  Now the clear panel is vertical, which means I can see the lights inside indicating whatever function is powered.  Handy diagnostic tool, when it's where it can be observed.  Turn signal not working?  Glance at the Jackalopee and you know where to start looking.

X2 Mine is attached to the rear of the cab.  Easy to view and service.  No issues in 5 yrs.

Glad I read  this post. I glued magnets on the side of mine and stuck it to the top of my def tank but I was assuming water proof meant just that. I like it where It is as I can move it out to the step and see it from the drivers seat. I will look it over and make it more waterproof.

I agree that mounting in the jockey box is probably best, but I was really pressed for time when I was mounting mine, so I went this route, and since it has been working fine, there it has stayed.

I used the load-lock bracket that was already on the cab and mounted a piece of aluminum to that bracket. Then the Jackalopee was bolted to the aluminum. 

I did have some issues with water infiltration in the beginning, but some 100% silicone on the top two cable glands where the cable enters and on the threads/base of the glands themselves and the problem was solved.  I did not put any silicone on the bottom glands and this seems to have worked out fine.  I occasionally get a tiny bit of condensation inside the unit when it is cold out, but it is rare and it always dissipates once things warm up.

Additionally, I wanted to have the 12V power supplied to the unit but I didn't want to tap directly at the batteries, so since I was already running wire to the cab for the brake controller, I just used a 10/3 SOOW cord and tapped onto the battery studs that are shown in the 3rd picture. I installed a 20A fuse on the hot side right at the post for safety and ran the positive, negative and the brake controller output back to the Jackalopee. I doubt I'm getting a lot of extra amperage out of this setup, but at least it is something.

pV5B6Xo.jpg

dMBdNBc.jpg

UxHMbhE.jpg

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys....I think I'm going to bite the bullet and drill holes in my box.  One question though....I'm going to wire tie the cables to the fuel mounting brackets then up to the cab.  How much does the cab move?  Should I leave a few inches of slack in the cables?

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

I left mine down in the frame rail laying on its side with the rest of the air lines and wires. Under the bed. The only water it will see is mist from driving through rain. I think I will get under there and silicone the ends where the wire comes in.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Archived