Rocker switch, relay, fuse, & light

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have asked questions earlier about rocker switches and have received great advice. I have been doing more research on line, how to wire up a relay. Here is my question or too. I hope I have this right. From what I have read I need to have 2 fuses in my system for the auxiliary lights. One fuse (3 amp) for the rocker switch and the other fuse (20/25 amp) for the #30 post on the relay. Is this correct ? Or is there another way to do the wiring ? This is my first time of wiring any relay.

Thank you for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

45 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

What are you hooking up to this relay that you need such a large fuse on Pin #30 on the relay?

Hi Desert,

The plan is install two 18 watt LED work lights on the back of the truck. I understand that I do not want to have high current going thru the rocker switch. That is the reason for using a reply.

Al 

36 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

I agree with Quickthrotl......

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the help. I will use a 3 amp fuse for the rocker switch and a 10 amp fuse for the # 30 post on the reply.

Al

two 18 watt lamps for 36 watts total.  Current = Power divided by Voltage or 36/12= 3 amps.  This also will help to know what wire size to use for the given distance x 2.  16 AWG wire will likely do.  Fuse to 5 amps and try it.  Fuse small enough to protect the wire, not the lamps.  Frankly, you can find plenty of switches that will handle 20 amps.  No need for a relay unless you just want to.  I love relays!.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Archived