Improper parking applications and permits

Vegas Teacher

Hello all, below is a link to a article about a Walmart store that did not allow for parking in their lot. I know I have used Walmart before to pull in and park over night, get some sleep, food and take a break from the road for free. Just thought I would share with all of you. 

Happy Friday!

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/trucks-not-welcome-walmart-fined-allowing-truck-parking/

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana

The title of this topic is misleading. Walmart did not give anyone a fine. They (Walmart) were fined for violation of the local zoning laws because they did not include truck parking in their application for permits. Local zoning, health and safety regulations are often the reason for prohibitions on overnight habitation of Walmart and other parking lots. In many cases, the municipalities do choose to fine the vehicle owner/operator instead of the local business.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

13 minutes ago, TCW said:

The title of this topic is misleading. Walmart did not give anyone a fine. They (Walmart) were fined for violation of the local zoning laws because they did not include truck parking in their application for permits. Local zoning, health and safety regulations are often the reason for prohibitions on overnight habitation of Walmart and other parking lots. In many cases, the municipalities do choose to fine the vehicle owner/operator instead of the local business.

Sorry that is what happens when you try to type something out with 30 students in the classroom. 

• Vegas Teacher changed the title to Improper parking applications and permits

Unfortunately, there is a similarity between truck stops and campgrounds.  There are more people wanting to use them, and less parking spaces than previously.  Some Walmarts, start to look like campgrounds and truck stops, then the locals get upset.  I can understand why.  It is one thing if there are a couple campers parked for the overnight hours, completely different when you start to pull the grill out.

Even here in ND it can be a challenge to find a truck parking spot at night. You would think otherwise with the amount of space we have out here...

When I drove commercially, I would try to arrange my days to be done by 5:00 PM.  Could always find a spot to park, even in the North East.  Get up at 3:00 AM to leave, and it could be a challenge to get out of your spot for all the trucks doing laps around the lot.

5 hours ago, Parrformance said:

The kids will be fine, just avoid eye contact with them.

And keep your shots up to date, those little suckers carry some really bad diseases.......

just sayin.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

The trucking industry has been shifting their costs of parking, terminals etc to 3rd parties for years. The abuse is huge, Walmart is caught in the middle. It is not Walmart's responsibility to provide free overnight space for trucks or RV's in exchange for the sometimes meager sales that result. And of course the towns are tired of finding trucks parked at inappropriate places creating any number of problems. 

Of course now with ELD's(electronic logging devices) now a reality the crunch is on, and the trucking biz is going to have to own up to their responsibility in this matter. 

It would be analogous to an RV or car dealer who is overflowing with inventory just parking rigs or cars at shopping center parking lots without permission or paying for it. No private property owner would stand for that.  

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I don't know Jeff,

While the dollar amounts may not be big, the stores do generally see a return on overnight parking.    The trucks and RV's are parked in the hinterlands where they don't impede local clientele.     Here in Hutch there is a mom and pop truck stop and a new Love's, there is always several trucks and often RV's at Walmart.     I agree that ELD use has made the situation worse but, there are a lot of stores at or near Walmart in the mall, some trucks park in the more remote areas of mall parking.    The trucks and campers near Walmart are there because the want some Wally goods.

My house in California is a couple miles north of the 101 FWY in the very west end of the San Fernando Valley, there is no truck stop within 25 miles in any direction.    Where do trucks park when they need to rest?    Walmart, or more precisely the shopping center with Walmart, Kroger's, Trader Joe's, Sprout's and lots more.     Most of the shopping centers have parking that could host road rallys, the trucks don't encroach on "normal" parking.     Now I could see a big holiday season like T-giving being an issue in some cases but even then, things seem to work out?

The issue of parking in metro areas has long been an issue for everything on wheels.    Something like 60% of all vehicles in metro areas are constantly moving.    Personally I would rather overnight at Walmart than with a fleet of trucks half idling all night at a truck stop.     Truck stops and Rest areas on the hwy are some of the worst places to sleep.    

JMHO,

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Ask  any real estate management company how much damage trucks do to the properties they are not supposed to be on. The minor profit from some sales doesn't come close to the increase in maintenance costs, nor the damage and inconvenience to the average motorist. Cars get hit, intersections are blocked by the large trucks at end of the parking rows creating many a dangerous blind spot. Light poles get pulled down, trucks turning short tear up curbing, landscaping, and the pavement. No traffic engineer in his right mind would recommend vehicles of disparate sizes to occupy or maneuver through the same space. 

It simply is not the responsibility of private property owners (shopping centers etc)to subsidize for profit trucking companies. Trucking has  been dodging these costs for years. And municipalities, tired of the abuse have outlawed on street parking because of the nuisance and danger. Major and even minor trucking shippers and receivers, Walmart among them have all but prohibited parking on their warehouse lots for more than an hour before and after the load in picked up or delivered. Why? They have seen the damage and garbage left behind and they simply will not put up with it.   

You said yourself you don't want to park at a truck stop because of the idling noisy stinking trucks. Well all of the neighborhoods where these trucks park illegally don't want it either. 

I do have several solutions. Example: I pay $550 Fed Hwy Use tax for my tractor. It hasn't increased in 35 years. Double the tax and dedicate the $ to build and maintain hwy rest areas, or parking lots in major industrial areas where trucks congregate away from residential areas. Encourage private companies(tax breaks) to build similar lots where truckers really need them, in areas already zoned for the purpose. Of course they would have to charge and make a profit. 

But of course the ATA will fight these tooth and nail. And why not, they are getting hundreds of millions of dollars of use of real estate for free at the moment. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived