class A license form

Scottiedot

The wife and I purchased a new fifth wheel this week, a Heartland Cyclone. I found it interesting that they had me sign a form acknowledging the fact that in the state of Texas, and due to the gross weight of the trailer, I would be required to have a class A license. Obviously it's not an issue for me as I have a class A already, I just wonder how many buyers sign that form without reading it, walk out the door and never upgrade they're license.

44 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Wow.  How heavy is that trailer?

With my truck, the trailer only needs weigh 10,001 lbs and I need a Class A license. 

My county work truck is a 4x4 diesel with a GVWR of 11,300 so any trailer over 15,000 would also require a Class A.

Looking at the Heartland Cyclones they all appear to be in the 15,000 to 17,000+ lbs range.
I have to wonder if this was strictly a dealership required paper. More of a legal CYA for them than anything else. That way they can always say "We told them. See they even signed this paper".

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

At least they are making an attempt to inform the customers of what is required. It seems more and more states are going to the non commercial heavy class licenses.

I am finding here in North Dakota, they have recently made administrative changes to how pickups are registered.  There has been no public education of these changes. At some point when it starts to be enforced, there will be many unhappy people holding overweight citations.

We went from pickups being registered for an arbitrary 150% of curb weight, to a minimum of 200%, but you must also cover the trailer weight too, and anything over 20k is on the truck fee scale.

Would be nice to know about these changes. The only reason I stumbled across this is that I was doing some research before buying a HDT.

25 minutes ago, Big5er said:

With my truck, the trailer only needs weigh 10,001 lbs and I need a Class A license. 

My county work truck is a 4x4 diesel with a GVWR of 11,300 so any trailer over 15,000 would also require a Class A.

Looking at the Heartland Cyclones they all appear to be in the 15,000 to 17,000+ lbs range.
I have to wonder if this was strictly a dealership required paper. More of a legal CYA for them than anything else. That way they can always say "We told them. See they even signed this paper".

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Class A requirements.  I just thought it odd that a dealer would make that determination based on the trailer alone, but if those trailers are at least 17,000 gvwr it's probably a legitimate call.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I bought a New Class A DP last year.  I was never asked to sign or even told that I would need a minimum Class “B” to legal drive my new purchase.  Of course I already had a Class “A”.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I custom ordered my 37ft toyhauler back in 2006 before a (class A) none commercial was required. 

What made me mad was that we custom designed the trailer to haul our early bronco and they never asked what we planned to haul it with until we picked up the trailer and handed them a check for the balance due. 

After every thing was signed they said oh ya one last thing,we need you to sign this paper stating your truck can legally tow the trailer. 

At that time it was a Ford superduty. 

50 minutes ago, Broncohauler said:

I custom ordered my 37ft toyhauler back in 2006 before a (class A) none commercial was required. 

If you're talking about Texas, the Class A requirement has been around long before 2006.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

When we first walked through the trailer with the salesman, I asked if I would be good to go with my Tundra, the dealer laughed, at which point I told him I had a class 8 truck, so from that point on, there was no further discussion. The form was presented when we were signing finance documents.

4 hours ago, chirakawa said:

If you're talking about Texas, the Class A requirement has been around long before 2006.

He was referring to the People’s Republic of California.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

On 2/4/2018 at 11:39 PM, VegasFlyer said:

He was referring to the People’s Republic of California.....

It has been around for a long time in CA as well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

When I bought my Heartland Cyclone I still lived in the People’s Democratic Socialst Republic of California and no one told me either that I needed a Fifth Wheel Endorsement on my drivers liscense. I even asked the salesman and he never heard of it. I went to DMV to get the endorsement and they didn’t know how to do it and had to call Sacramento. All I had to do was take a written test. Then they had to find the test for me to take. Soon after that I got my South Dakota domicile with no need for a special liscense. now I  have a Class A With no need for any special type of liscense. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived