Transport after purchase

Chuck

I bought used from a dealer, and they gave me a paper 30 day drive out permit.  I think the worst case scenario would be pulled over (decent driving skills so doubtful) or at an inspection station, an officer might ticket you and prevent the truck from leaving until a CDL holder comes to get it?  Big5er please correct me here.

I wanted to look very nonprofessional.  I never wanted to appear as if I was a pro, driving bobtail to deliver another truck to another location.

i wore a brand new dealership hat or no hat.  Tourist shorts.  No Bluetooth headset, etc.  I had the dealer cut the fifth wheel hitch off and remove the glad hands.  I also decided NOT to hang a sign in the window with any sort of disclaimer, such as private RV.

aaand we avoided inspection stations.  This involved seeing some extra countryside and towns at times.

I printed a few things I found on the internet about converting to an RV and kept them with the insurance and temporary title because it made me feel better to do so.  I thought, "well I don't want to be looking up links on my phone and trying to get someone to read it during a maybe heated conversation" so I tried to anticipate.

The bottom line for me was removing the hitch and glad hands.  If anything looks like the beginning of a conversion that would do it.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I drive my Volvo from North Carolina to Maryland when I purchased it.  I sweated the whole trip.  Thankfully the two weight stations I went into just gave me a green light.

Until the registration from commercial truck is changed, you really need a CDL.

I had a person call to ask about this, a California resident.  He was planning to be come a South Dakota resident.  I recommended that he have the vehicle registered in SD before he left.  Pretty easy.  But he didn't and at the California state line, the CHP clobbered him.  Thousand of dollars in fines for driving a commercial vehicle without a CDL.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Purchased mine in Michigan.  Already registered as RV. Kept the owners plates on the truck and drove it 14 hours the first leg.  Pulled into Herrons for the hitch (it still had the big trailer hitch) and registered it later as I was coming thru Livingston, TX.  I was ready to avoid all weigh stations by driving right by.  Never saw one open!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived