Semi Build Published By Truck Camper Magazine

Cotreker

After months of researching semi trucks by asking questions on this forum and making calls around the country I made my purchase and started on my build.  The build got the attention of the publisher with Truck Camper Magazine and a few months later "The Fox & Semi" is published.  Angie the publisher did a wonderful job of putting together the article.  For now I use a slide in truck camper in the future I will shorten the wheel base and pull a 5'er.

Thanks to all of you for answering my questions and speaking with me by phone, I have really enjoyed this project and love the semi.  Article attached.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/extreme-rigs/the-fox-and-the-semi/

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Thank you for linking the article. Its a nice package you put together there.

I do want to say this rings so true.

"I could buy three Volvos for the cost of a brand new Ford F350 diesel.  If something goes wrong and I have to drop $5,000 into it, it doesn’t sting so much."

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Cotreker   Really enjoyed the article about your truck! The first camper we had was a 8' cab over. The camper was new (1970) but i put it on a 62 Ford F100 with a 292 and a 3 speed trans. I was stationed in San Diego going to a navy B School. We lived it it the last 3 weeks we were there, Then (Nov 1970)headed to San Fran then back down to I-40 and back to Norfolk. There was no heat in it a ICEBOX and a porta Potty. We had some great time times with it. But now we have a 98 610 Volvo and tow a 43' Mesa Ridge 5er. We really have enjoyed towing a 5er for the last 14 years. Almost 7 with the Volvo. So I know the feeling you get when you climb up into the cab! It's really hard to hide the Smile! So enjoy your great looking rig and if you get out our way Va beach Va. give us a call!! Be safe and God Bless.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for sharing the article with us. I do have a question for you. It looks like you like to boondock. How do you stop the wheels on the truck from sinking into the ground ? Do you use any kind of mat under the tires for soft ground ? Curious minds need to know.

I would like to boondock but I am afraid of the truck sinking into the ground.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al, we carry chains for any soft ground areas.  However I really attempt to park on firm ground but when it snows and rains all bets are off.  I have one set of chains pretty cheep ones and plan to purchase one more set.  I read some guys park the front tires on thick wood so the front does not sink in.  I think 1" plywood painted with something very water proof will work and maybe glue some supports to the back (no screws or nails).  This will be trial and error.

I also have a 12,000 pound winch but think it is too small, LOL.

We are now on the hunt for a triple slide camper most likely a Host Mammoth these are side entrance doors, hoping for a King bed.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

You might be surprised what that 12k winch can get you out of. Most of the time you just need a little help getting going to out of a soft spot. I am putting an 12 on the front(already have one) and will get another to put on the rear. I dont plan to need it much, but its better than a 2 ton come along. Or a high lift and chains.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Great article. Looking at the pictures, it looks like the Kremmling area. Am I close?

I have a set of chains for our truck as well, which I actually had to use last month to move a trailer. They are a PITA to put on around the bed, but its doable.

Al, an option for boondocking is MaxTrax. We had to use a set to get the truck and camper out of the sand of southern Utah in Oct. I was skeptical, and then suprised at how well they worked. Will be buying a set to carry with us.

EEMaxtraxReviewSlider.jpg?fit=600,250&ss

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

My guess is that you know Buford and this area of the state, this is our summer get away.  We know Craig well many family members either live there or from there, the Counts as in the Craig grain elevator for one example.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

On 1/9/2018 at 2:12 PM, maveric said:

Great article. Looking at the pictures, it looks like the Kremmling area. Am I close?

I have a set of chains for our truck as well, which I actually had to use last month to move a trailer. They are a PITA to put on around the bed, but its doable.

Al, an option for boondocking is MaxTrax. We had to use a set to get the truck and camper out of the sand of southern Utah in Oct. I was skeptical, and then suprised at how well they worked. Will be buying a set to carry with us.

EEMaxtraxReviewSlider.jpg?fit=600,250&ss

Hi maveric,

Thank you for posting the picture. I thought there was some thing out there to help with the truck tires from sinking in. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 1/8/2018 at 8:22 PM, Cotreker said:

Al, we carry chains for any soft ground areas.  However I really attempt to park on firm ground but when it snows and rains all bets are off.  I have one set of chains pretty cheep ones and plan to purchase one more set.  I read some guys park the front tires on thick wood so the front does not sink in.  I think 1" plywood painted with something very water proof will work and maybe glue some supports to the back (no screws or nails).  This will be trial and error.

We are now on the hunt for a triple slide camper most likely a Host Mammoth these are side entrance doors, hoping for a King bed.

I wish I had looked at the Mammoth in August of last year. We were within an hour of a lot in Tx that had one. Seen the write-up on your truck when it came out. AS a guy in Fl had put the Mammoth on a Kodiak like mine. His issue was being 14ft tall.

I keep thinking the triple slide on the back of my Kenworth T600. Would sure made seeing everything out west. So much better then trying to drag the big Camper around. IF you do add the Mammoth to the back of your truck. Please let us see pictures. That would be the best deal for sure.

I would still have my Okanagan 811-Sl. If it were not for getting into and out of the bed in it. My back would not let me do it anymore.

event.png

17 hours ago, Cotreker said:

The Host Mammoth should be even with the top of storage box which is 13' 3".  I am not interested anything taller.

I agree on your height. But on that Guy's Kodiak and mine. To clear the top of the cab is where our issue would be. But putting it behind the cab like you and the guy with the  Peterbilt did. Saves that extra 16" or more to clear the cab.

Pete

event.png

On 1/12/2018 at 4:45 PM, Pete Kildow said:

I too have a 12K pound winch but I do not keep it mounted on the truck.  I have an adapter I made from 2" receiver tube that steps down to either of the 1-1/2" receivers on the front of the truck.  I have a hefty 2" tube on the back that the winch will fit into. The neat thing is if you use a double line with a snatch block it becomes a 24K winch.  Two snatch blocks and we are at 36,000 pounds.  Your power also depends on how much cable you have on the reel.  Using the blocks takes more cable off the drum which helps improve the mechanical advantage.  Using some logging chain and the snatch blocks I can pull the rig out of most any hole provided I have something to tie to, which sadly is not always available.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

36 minutes ago, RandyA said:

I too have a 12K pound winch but I do not keep it mounted on the truck.  I have an adapter I made from 2" receiver tube that steps down to either of the 1-1/2" receivers on the front of the truck.  I have a hefty 2" tube on the back that the winch will fit into. The neat thing is if you use a double line with a snatch block it becomes a 24K winch.  Two snatch blocks and we are at 36,000 pounds.  Your power also depends on how much cable you have on the reel.  Using the blocks takes more cable off the drum which helps improve the mechanical advantage.  Using some logging chain and the snatch blocks I can pull the rig out of most any hole provided I have something to tie to, which sadly is not always available.

I had a 12K a few years ago. And had a tractor stuck, chained the truck to a big oak tree. And with triple blocks, got that 100hp tractor out. It was sitting on the ground. But that winch was toast after that pull.

My 33ft Tilt trailer  had a 30,000 lb hydraulic winch on it. Now that bad boy will pull, but man it is slow.

If you would. I would love to see pics of how you have yours rigged up. Will be building one that will fit into the front or back. And run 1/0 cable for power to both spots. With quick clips on the wires.

event.png

Archived