Need Suggestions, 10K Hitch

whatsnext

We are looking at building a semi frame "5th wheel" from Spacecraft. 

For various reasons,  I'd like to lower my hitch height and move it closer to rear axle. 

Suggestions on a hitch capable of 10K lbs pin weight and 35K tow weight. Actuals will be closer to 8K/27K but want some wiggle room.

Thanks

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

We have been working this issue from various angles for some time. The current ET "could" be used for an 8-9K pin with the right tweeks, but is not ideal as it currently exists. However it will handle an 8-9K pin weight, just not optimally. There is work underway to create what we call the 40/10 hitch. That is 40K total weight and 10K pin weight.  This hitch will be available in the late Spring 2018. If you want to discuss this then give us a shout.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

While I have only pulled my trailer for maybe 1000 miles since changing back to the standard Jost hitch, I can say if you are having a Spacecraft Semi built you are fine using the standard Semi hitch. I had an ET Senior and it did the job for many miles, but I like the more rigid hitch for a lot of things. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

5 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

David, are you wanting a multi axis hitch or a single axis like a commercial hitch? Air ride or air cell or fixed?

Not picky at this point. Thinking a fixed hitch with the semi frame. 

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

28 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

David, take a look at a Holland Kompensator mount for one of their fifth wheels. They can be used with or without a sliding mount.

Thanks David. Holland makes a rigid 12K pin weight head. 

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

3 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

We have been working this issue from various angles for some time. The current ET "could" be used for an 8-9K pin with the right tweeks, but is not ideal as it currently exists. However it will handle an 8-9K pin weight, just not optimally. There is work underway to create what we call the 40/10 hitch. That is 40K total weight and 10K pin weight.  This hitch will be available in the late Spring 2018. If you want to discuss this then give us a shout.

Thanks Jack. I know Comfort Ride was working on one. Are you guys developing one too?

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

8 hours ago, rickndeb1125 said:

Comfort ride hitch. I am getting close to a 10k pin 40 k cap. I going to have a prototype on the road in about 2 ,4 weeks.  I would also consider building you one to try as well if you're interested give me a call. Rick 608/575/5010  

Sounds great Rick. I'll give you a call to discuss. 

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

22 hours ago, rickndeb1125 said:

Comfort ride hitch. I am getting close to a 10k pin 40 k cap. I going to have a prototype on the road in about 2 ,4 weeks.  I would also consider building you one to try as well if you're interested give me a call. Rick 608/575/5010  

What are the design perimeters on this hitch? Is it going to be similar to a commercial hitch? Air, multi-axis, etc?

I am looking to go with a multi-axis hitch, but I need it capable of heavier pin weight. I don't know the pin weight of my trailer, but overall weight (empty) is 26k. Total weight loaded should be around 32k. I currently use a sliding commercial hitch, but because of where I occasionally take the trailer, I would like multi-axis. I had thought about the ET, but I don't know if I would have an issue with the smaller head on my trailer. (converted semi dry van trailer).

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Maverick, did you take a look at the Holland Kompensator mount I linked to above? It will give you the articulating movement you are looking for in a commercial fifth wheel.

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

On 10/31/2017 at 9:53 AM, whatsnext said:

We are looking at building a semi frame "5th wheel" from Spacecraft. 

For various reasons,  I'd like to lower my hitch height and move it closer to rear axle. 

Suggestions on a hitch capable of 10K lbs pin weight and 35K tow weight. Actuals will be closer to 8K/27K but want some wiggle room.

Thanks

David

I am confused slightly by your request. What height and how far back behind the axle is your current hitch at?

The pin location on a Spacecraft semi trailer would be at the height of a standard semi trailer. If you lower it, you may make it difficult for another truck to tow your trailer if your truck breaks down.  Also you will need to keep your truck bed (if you have one or plan to have one) height lower than the hitch head to allow for trailer to swing and not hit the bed. If your hitch head is below the frame height you may have problems.

Usually the only way to get close to the axle to mount the hitch, you need to be on top of the frame so that actually may raise your hitch height.

At what pin weight and trailer weight do we need to be within the working point of the trucks rear suspension and not needing any special hitch?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

19 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

I am confused slightly by your request. What height and how far back behind the axle is your current hitch at?

The pin location on a Spacecraft semi trailer would be at the height of a standard semi trailer. If you lower it, you may make it difficult for another truck to tow your trailer if your truck breaks down.  Also you will need to keep your truck bed (if you have one or plan to have one) height lower than the hitch head to allow for trailer to swing and not hit the bed. If your hitch head is below the frame height you may have problems.

Usually the only way to get close to the axle to mount the hitch, you need to be on top of the frame so that actually may raise your hitch height.

At what pin weight and trailer weight do we need to be within the working point of the trucks rear suspension and not needing any special hitch?

The hitch will still be located behind the rear axle but closer than it is currently. My bed will have to be modified to allow for the semi pin height so I am looking at a hitch height of around 45" - 48". The Spacecraft pin can be modified as needed but I am looking at interior height of the trailer but definitely will keep the bed height lower than the hitch!

Not sure of the hitch whether it will be fixed or oscillating. Lots still on the drawing board.

Thanks

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Archived