Microsoft Surface Pro 4

DJW

Need some help here.  Son is looking to get his wife a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for Christmas.  He gave me this link.  I told him I thought we could beat this price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01606KJ6C/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3CZ6UIU86NMZE&colid=2BZPAOQYMJTWG

With the holiday sales about start what are your thoughts on getting this model for a better price?  For what she will use it for the i5 should be more than enough processing power?  Is the ram upgradeable on the Surface Pro 4 by adding a 8gb or 16gb ram chip?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I had the previous model. No, it's not upgradable. It's glued shut when it's made. Most likely the screen breaks if you try to open it. I had two models. The first one was about 6 months old when it took a small spill from the couch to the floor. It landed on it's corner and the touch screen stopped working. Luckily, I had a Square Trade extended warranty and I got a refund from them. I bought a second one (actually saved a couple of bucks) and bought another Square Trade warranty. After about a year and a half, the screen went dead. I sent it back to them and got another refund. That's when I decided to go in another direction. I bought a conventional laptop and have been happy with it for the past year.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

9 hours ago, wildmandmc said:

some of the reviews for the pro 4 is the battery life not good.  i recently worked on one. had a 25gb ssd. less than 3 gb of available space. i would go to a laptop. 

After looking at the Surface Pro 4, reading user experiences, and recognizing I'd probably be using it mostly with a keyboard I ended up buying the Surface laptop. I'm glad I did. The form factor is not that much larger and I really like the larger screen, yet it is very easy and light to carry around. Everything is a trade off, of course, and some people need/like the Surface Pro 4 format.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

RV

I know you have both a Pro 3 and Pro 4.  I would be interested in your thoughts.  I am thinking the DIL is thinking it would act as both a computer which it is an a tablet.  No heavy work load just e-mail kind of stuff.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

3 minutes ago, DJW said:

RV

I know you have both a Pro 3 and Pro 4.  I would be interested in your thoughts.  I am thinking the DIL is thinking it would act as both a computer which it is an a tablet.  No heavy work load just e-mail kind of stuff.

Dennis

If she is going to add a keyboard I'd look first at the Brydge keyboard.  It is an exceptional product. And it allows the tablet to be used like a laptop. One of the major issues in (my) use of the Surface pro is that it cannot reasonably be set on your lap. This keyboard allows you to do that and not have the device flip over.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Dennis, 

Sorry I was tied up with house inspections and bleaching the new well for inspection. Just had the septic system inspected and repaird too for the house we inherited with property and sold.

The Surface Pro 4 is superseded by the Surface Pro. The Pro 3/4/Pro all share the same keyboard connectors. They all have full size USB 3 ports so you can use a wireless mouse keyboard full size set and just put the keyboard in your lap. I'm using the 4 now watching Clown streaming on Netflix, and typing this on the virtual keyboard. When I travel I bring the Surface 4 type cover and it works fine at the hotel desk or counter in a suite. 

I never used a laptop in my lap. I always preferred a desk to use one. I rest the bottom of the tablet on my tummy and hold it with my left hand. It took a few weeks back in 2010 when I first got used to holding one for a few hours. 

I don't know why you say only light tasks. My Pro 3 is an i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. My Pro 4 is an i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

It can handle anything other desktops or laptops with the same specs can. The current tablet version has no number, it is just called the Surface Pro now.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

I only said light task to indicate that she does/will not use it for any heavy production type of work.  Pulled the trigger Saturday.  Got a new open box unit Surface Pro 4  for $590 delivered.  Thanks for the feedback.

Dennis 

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Good price bud!

Make sure you register it ASAP for warranty. Mine' a refurb also. My warranty was more than a yea for this one. It runs out next December, I got it in August. Strange and the Microsoft rep said if that's what it says, that's what it is. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived