All terrain or highway tires for towing

GR "Scott" Cundiff

We had a tire issue while towing and needed to replace tires on the spot.  I let them sell me some all terrain tires but I'm not sure I made the right decision.  I know these tires are more aggressive and I don't think I like them as well  It feels to me as if the pickup reacts more strongly to cross winds, etc. than the highway tires did.  Minor steering corrections feel stronger and I'm not sure that is a good thing so far as handing or driver fatigue.

It's not as though I take my F350 off roading - although there have been a couple of times over the past four years when when parking on grass that I wished for more grip.  99% of the time I have been okay with the performance of the highway tires.

I have a window for returning the all terrain tires and am seriously thinking about it.  

My question is especially for those who have run both on a bigger pickup - which do you prefer and why?

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

One thing I have noticed was with the all terrain tires is that they do seem to squirm a lot more than a highway tread tire does.  I have to keep mine at 80 PSI in the fronts even empty or it feels like it is on low tires. The highway tires I had before I could run 65 PSI in the fronts and it felt fine. I do know the compound in the all terrain is a softer compound for traction.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

24 minutes ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

My question is especially for those who have run both on a bigger pickup - which do you prefer and why?

I have decided to split the difference and go with Mud & Snow tires like those that Michelin and other brands sell. I don't have 4 wheel drive, but do drive on dirt and gravel roads and occasionally in snow. They are not quite as smooth riding and quiet as highway tires, but do seem to have a little more grip in soft conditions.

I used to struggle with this, too, especially when we were fulltime, and now just go with the highway tires. Not sure they last as long but they just ride better over all and are more comfortable which is my main criteria. I don't go four wheeling or off road so I choose comfort. My four wheel truck will still get me out of those rare occasions when I need to do so, so, again, I go with comfort.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

On 9/22/2017 at 9:22 PM, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I went back to Discount Tire today and had them swap out for highway tires.  They even refunded me a few bucks.  Driving back to the campground it felt more like my truck again.

Lesson learned!

I agree with your decision. My previous truck came with BFG TKO tires. Once I found out how horrible this all terrain tire was in the snow I dumped them for Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. What a difference! Far better on wet or snowy roads and much, much quieter going down the road. The current truck has Rugged Trails on it and in a couple more months will likely get the Michelins as well.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 9/22/2017 at 11:22 PM, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I went back to Discount Tire today and had them swap out for highway tires.  They even refunded me a few bucks.  Driving back to the campground it felt more like my truck again.

Lesson learned!

IMO, good choice! For those infrequent time when you need more traction, ie parked on wet grass, etc. Carry a set of strap-on cables/instead of chains. You'll only need them on the outside tires unless you are in mud or snow, in which case you wait until traction is better.

I always ran B.F. Goodrich T/A commercial M&S tires on my 4wd dually, seldom needed to use 4wd, but when I did the heavy diesel engine was the cause, pushing the front wheels deeper into the ground causes a natural chock.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 4 months later...

not to worry so much about the tread type.

but look more into how the tire is made ( number of side plys). and how much weight it is rated for.

with that said some tires will squrm more than others, even if built with same ratings as another.

on commercial rigs i have found deep tread is very squrmey. i do not like them.

but also look into how much on rd, if any true off rd. aka: packed gravel, packed dirt, loose dirt. wet dirt, mud 😱

• 1 month later...

I just replaced my tires on my RAM pickup. I have less than 11K miles on the truck. The stock tires were Firestone Transforce. Biggest pieces of crap ever made. Worse than China bombs. I believe they were some kind of highway tread and I just hated them. Already worn out. Back to Cooper tires. They are some kind of off-road type tire but not too aggressive. Good enough for the four-wheeling I do, but like I said, not too extreme. 10 ply sidewalls. Haven't really noticed any difference in the ride; seems to be okay and not noisy at all. 60lbs. in the front and 80lbs. in the back per my tire guy, with or without the RV hooked up.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

Archived