Emergency Information while traveling?

Kirk W

This subject comes to mind because of mention on another thread but I am wondering if others here are aware of a large number of cell phone apps that seem to now be available for the "smart phones" that most of us now carry? Prior to that thread I had no idea that there were so many and having discovered it, I'm wondering if others here use one of those apps and if so, which ones and why?  When I did a Google search I discovered more than 30 different ICE applications offered, mostly free?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

LindaH, I think Kirk was talking about getting emergency information about roads, flood stages, natural and man made disasters ect. ect. but you bring up an interesting point. I worked in emergency medicine (paramedic on an ambulance) for many years when I was younger and I can tell you that police and medical first responders definitely will try to access information if it is a matter of life and death. I don't have any idea if it is legal or not but just sharing what I have seen first hand. 

My iPhone requires a password. But on the password screen it says "emergency" in the lower left corner. If you click that you get another option to click that will bring you to a list of my emergency contacts. Mine are labeled as "spouse", "child" and "sister" along with their names and phone numbers so emergency personnel will know to whom they are talking. Those three people also have copies of my health directive naming them as people who can make decisions on my behalf should that be needed. It brings me much peace of mind knowing that is there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, LindaH said:

Someone on another thread said that emergency personnel cannot look at your phone unless you are deceased.  If this is true, then none of these apps would be of any use (unless you're deceased, of course).

That happened to me Linda.  When they came to ask who they could contact for me I explained that my wife and my daughter were both listed under ICE and that my wife was listed WIFE and my daughter was listed DAUGHTER.  They told me that due to privacy laws now days that they can't go into a patient's phone or share information with another party without the patient's permission or in the event of life support or death.  I was very surprised.  What's the use of ICE if they're not going to use it?

But then my finger print scan is required to gain access to my address book.  I guess they could scan my finger while they had me all medicated up.......I was out of it for the first couple of days.  LOL

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

6 hours ago, coachmac9 said:

LindaH, I think Kirk was talking about getting emergency information about roads, flood stages, natural and man made disasters ect. ect.

If you follow the link I posted, you will find that it is for apps for android phones to make emergency information available with the phone locked. The I-phon already has the ability for the owner to mark emergency contacts so that they will be available with the phone locked. I was not thinking of weather & road reports. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I loaded up a couple of the apps and none show up on my locked phone. I have a Samsung 7/Android.

I use an app each night called "where am I" each night and send to a daughter. We started using this app to figure out what county we were in. As we would watch weather reports they would name a county and we had no idea what county we were in. This has morphed into letting the family know where we are each night when traveling.

There are several "where am I" apps. So far I like the blue question mark one best. There is no "about" to know who created it.

We also have an app on Alexa called "Ask My  Buddy" which sends emails out to a list you provide. I look at it as something to use in an emergency at home.

@SWharton, that app gives GPS coordinates too, so you could pass those along in your nightly email and anybody could find you down to a couple of hundred feet accuracy if need be. I will be incorporating that into my nightly routine. Thanks for telling us about the app.

6 hours ago, SWharton said:

I loaded up a couple of the apps and none show up on my locked phone. I have a Samsung 7/Android.

I use an app each night called "where am I" each night and send to a daughter. We started using this app to figure out what county we were in. As we would watch weather reports they would name a county and we had no idea what county we were in. This has morphed into letting the family know where we are each night when traveling.

There are several "where am I" apps. So far I like the blue question mark one best. There is no "about" to know who created it.

We also have an app on Alexa called "Ask My  Buddy" which sends emails out to a list you provide. I look at it as something to use in an emergency at home.

We also find out what counties we are in when we move to a new spot.  Watch the news and monitor the weather every day.  We were in TX once and the phone our phone made a LOUD sound.  A storm was getting close to us to warn us of a possibility of a tornado. If it is really bad, I think they notify all phones connected to the cell towers with in the effected area.  Just like they do Amber alerts.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

13 hours ago, coachmac9 said:

LindaH, I think Kirk was talking about getting emergency information about roads, flood stages, natural and man made disasters ect. ect. but you bring up an interesting point. I worked in emergency medicine (paramedic on an ambulance) for many years when I was younger and I can tell you that police and medical first responders definitely will try to access information if it is a matter of life and death. I don't have any idea if it is legal or not but just sharing what I have seen first hand. 

Gas Buddy just did an update for this.  Who has power and gas.  Not sure about flooded roads.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 9/2/2017 at 5:46 PM, SWharton said:

my iPhone has a "find my phone" feature. WhenI was solo snowbirding Dave would track my travels using that app. When I got home in the spring he was sitting out front waiting to help me unload. Nice!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived