trailer tires and tow speeds

jollyrogr

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jollyrogr said:

Lockmup, I like those. However, is it possible to find a 17.5" rim with 6 bolt pattern?  Also would need to see how much bigger the diameter is to see if they would even fit. Nice tire though. 

I couldn't find any 17.5 6 lug wheels when I looked a few years ago. 16" were available but I didn't like the choices of tires in that size so I have stayed with the 15" and just carry 2 mounted spares and an extra unmounted one since I have space on the truck for them.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:30 PM, jollyrogr said:

Lockmup, I like those. However, is it possible to find a 17.5" rim with 6 bolt pattern?  Also would need to see how much bigger the diameter is to see if they would even fit. Nice tire though. 

Not that I can find. Time to upgrade the axles to 8 lug... ;)

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 7/29/2017 at 10:49 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

I used Goodyear G114s 17.5 inch.  I only drive 60-62 mph not because of tire limits but because I've got no where to go and all day to get there.  Seriously I just see no reason to drive much faster since I'm retired and usually don't travel over 300 - 350 miles in a day.  I believe the G114s are rated at 75mph.

I switched to Sailun 235/80R16, load range G tires, which are 75 mph speed rated, and eliminated my 5er tire problems. Another plus, they are about 1/2 the cost of the equivalent Goodyear tires.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are a lot of different brand name manufacturers building 16" trailer tires with load capacities from 3420# to 4080# In load ranges E, F & G. Some are ST235/80 R16 and others are ST235/85R16.

The ST235/80R16E has three load capacities, 3420#, 3500# & 3520#, all at 80 PSI. Read the specs or sidewall info before you by them. The ST235/85R16E has a load capacity of 3640# at 80 PSI. The ST235/85R16F has a load capacity of 3960# at 95 PSI. The ST235/80 R16G has a load capacity of 4080# at 110 PSI. 

There are some - what I call hybrid LT trailer tires - 16" LT trailer tires size LT235/85R16G rated at 3750# at 110 PSI. They are called RST (regional service trailer) and will have that information on their sidewalls.

Happy hunting. 

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

12 hours ago, jollyrogr said:

Could a guy just replace the hubs?

If the brakes are the same size then you should be able to just get hubs/drums.    If not axle ends that include the brake backing plate and gut are not too much more, as a set they may be less than individual parts?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

My 17.5's are rated for 6005 per. They are 16 ply. I looked into changing hubs and that was going to work. If there are lipper axles they do carry some different bolt patterns. May luck be with you!    Pat

The Old Sailor

Did some measuring today and I have a little over 4" between the tires with the 225/75r15's. I think going to a 16 Michelin XPS or a 17.5 might fit, but they would be very close together. 

Based on that I suppose it makes sense to stick with 15". I'm considering load range E options from Maxxis, Gladiator, Hercules, and Goodyear. Goodyear (and I think Hercules) are made in the USA.  The Hercules tires on my car are made in USA anyway and they've been good tires.

I found some 15" load range F tires on eBay but I wonder about the quality. 

14 hours ago, jollyrogr said:

Did some measuring today and I have a little over 4" between the tires with the 225/75r15's. I think going to a 16 Michelin XPS or a 17.5 might fit, but they would be very close together. 

Based on that I suppose it makes sense to stick with 15". I'm considering load range E options from Maxxis, Gladiator, Hercules, and Goodyear. Goodyear (and I think Hercules) are made in the USA.  The Hercules tires on my car are made in USA anyway and they've been good tires.

I found some 15" load range F tires on eBay but I wonder about the quality. 

If a 235x75x16 tire fits, then a 235x75x17.5 tire will fit. The tire size is the same. It is the rim that is a different size. Might be a slight variance, but a 235 is a 235 is a 235. The rim size just affects sidewall width, not tire height or width. 

I had 235x75x16 and simply went 235x75x17.5 with new rims. 

15 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

If the brakes are the same size then you should be able to just get hubs/drums.    If not axle ends that include the brake backing plate and gut are not too much more, as a set they may be less than individual parts?

Steve

My dexter axles are 7k with 8k/8lug outers. I know some folks with lippert axles that put the 8 lug outers on. However, for the cost, it was about sixes to replace the entire axle and much easier. 

5 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

If a 235x75x16 tire fits, then a 235x75x17.5 tire will fit. The tire size is the same. It is the rim that is a different size. Might be a slight variance, but a 235 is a 235 is a 235. The rim size just affects sidewall width, not tire height or width. 

I had 235x75x16 and simply went 235x75x17.5 with new rims. 

Wrong.

The 235 is the tread width in metric.

The 75 is the sidewall profile percentage of the tread width.

To calculate theoretically the tire diameter you multiply the ((235 x .75 x 2) / 25.4)) + rim diameter in inches (15", 16", 17.5").

So for same size tread width and profiles, the tire diameter would increase by the difference in the rim diameter. Tire manufacturers do vary this some so you also need to check their tire charts. Rim width can affect the tire diameter too, so they usually indicate a size based on recommend rim width.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I don't have much room to upsize, so 17.5's are out.  I will either get better quality 15's or maybe go to a LT225/75R16 in a Michelin XPS rib or Hercules H-901.  By my calculations the 16's in that size will be larger by 1/2" or less which works for me.  The Michelin is a LRE with speed rating Q (99 mph!) and the Hercules is LRF with speed rating N (87 mph).  Both are steel cased commercial tires.  I haven't checked but it's probably a safe assumption that the Hercules is the cheaper of the two.

8 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Wrong.

The 235 is the tread width in metric.

The 75 is the sidewall profile percentage of the tread width.

To calculate theoretically the tire diameter you multiply the ((235 x .75 x 2) / 25.4)) + rim diameter in inches (15", 16", 17.5").

So for same size tread width and profiles, the tire diameter would increase by the difference in the rim diameter. Tire manufacturers do vary this some so you also need to check their tire charts. Rim width can affect the tire diameter too, so they usually indicate a size based on recommend rim width.

Dave

My apologies, you are correct. Here is the exact difference in 235x75x16 vs. 235x75x17.5.

235x75xR16-235x75xR17.5.png

I should have said the 235x75x16 is comparable in size to 215x75x17.5 (0.32 inch taller for the 17.5s)

235x75xR16-215x75xR17.5.png

The calculator at that page is good comparison page.

HTH,

Shannon

On 8/4/2017 at 11:29 PM, jollyrogr said:

Thanks. Those look like a good option, very comparable to the XPS ribs I think. Firestone Transforce HT would be another American made option. 

Tire industry standards are very consistent. Here is something about them by Michelin.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4 

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

On July 30, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Shifted said:

I, also, run LT tires.  Any tire marked as a trailer tire is, by qualifying as a "trailer" tire, only officially rated for 65mph.  Maybe it would be ok at more, but it's not "rated" for it.  Supposedly, trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls to handle lateral forces better.  The kind of forces you put on the tire when making a sharp turn with a double or triple axle trailer.

I try to pick LT tires that have a much higher speed rating than my truck can go, a much higher load rating than my trailer needs, and that the manufacturer claims has a high sidewall strength.

I've had regular trailer tires blow on me a couple of times, and even had them lose their tread after sitting for the winter and then just pulling out of their parking spot, leaving the tread behind on the ground.  They were stored inside, and the tires were not aged out or abused.

I've put about 10k miles on the LT tires since I've started using them with no problems so far.  Very happy with them.  My trailer has two axles, is a tag-along (bumper pull) and about 10k lbs.  So take my configuration in context.  It may not be a one-to-one for your configuration.  I wouldn't push anyone else to make the same trailer tire choice as me, but I can report why I switched and that I am very happy with the decision.

We run LT tires also speed limited to 106 are there about. I normally run at 68 but will run 75 on a very good dry no traffic freeway. I run 8 tires and on a hot day the tire temps are around 118 degrees and I check them at every stop. We have a little over 24k miles towing so far this year and no telling how many in total and have had zero tire problems.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Archived