The long drive from NC to ND

Sculptor

Hi HDT people,

I am leaving Tuesday to see for the first time, inspect and maybe purchase a truck.  I have been watching for a Volvo 730.  I like the looks and I'm somewhat familiar with the VNLs already.  Especially interior.  I wanted a double bunk workstation and an IShift, with very tall ratio.  

I can't thank you enough, you who have been helping me through these decisions and helping with very willing information.  This will read like a copy of another contributor a few weeks ago.  I am pretty much following Av8r3400's steps.  This truck had all the big items I wanted, and so much of what I read was very positive about his experience and I was partially influenced by that.  ( thread here:  http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/127487-wish-me-luck/

I have been reading here a lot this year.  There is so much info it's hard to find anything specific sometimes.  Many friends have answered my questions even though I assume the same ones have been asked before. Hope to live up to your great example! Thank You!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Good Luck, Sculptor!

I was treated very well in Fargo by John and the folks at RDO.  I'm sure you will be also.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

8 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Driving up and back?  Or flying one way?  

Driving both ways.  DW is accompanying me, so my choice was to take time off and drive to save a few nickels, and for the road trip.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

53 minutes ago, tyates007 said:

Good luck. It is very exciting having a prospect. 

Thanks, made it through St. Louis the first day. Whupped.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

http://XAbF4DGl.jpg

No there sure isn't. I like the towns and the huge rolling grass. I'm not used to the distances. Life seems pretty informal here.  Even in Fargo.

We bought the Volvo and are driving our car as a chase car and truck south to drop the truck and have some conversion work done.

We found a great room in Fargo for $76 but neither slept well for some reason. As I write this we are laying in the bunks trying for some rest. Soon we will cross into Iowa, we are near Vermillion SD now. 

The truck is very clean with a few exceptions like drivers seat and door panel. Everything that I know of works perfectly. It lost no air overnight. The cab seems like it moves around a little too much.  Needs new shocks maybe. The interior cabinets rattle going down the road. All the little things are personality, and I will work on those. Oh yeah the front end seems a bit too loose.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

It takes a bit to get used to the air ride front and the big sail of the cab.  Especially if your getting any of this wind up here.  

Do the cab shocks first and if the rocking still seems excessive to you, you can try these  http://www.donvel.com/

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It takes a bit to get used to the air ride front and the big sail of the cab.  Especially if your getting any of this wind up here.  

Do the cab shocks first and if the rocking still seems excessive to you, you can try these  http://www.donvel.com/

The wind was up to maybe 35-40 today if I had to guess. So the effect was huge.  You are right of course, first, I'm very unfamiliar with this size anything.  My attempt to analyze what needs money first will be wrong this early.  Thanks for the advice on the cab shocks. ?

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Remember that the steering wheel doesn't move in relation to the cab or seat.  If you're reacting or correcting to the movement of the cab, and seat, you're in for a long ride. React to the truck moving in the lane side to side.   Even today I had to go halfway to Fargo from Bismarck, heading east into the 30mph wind.  While the cab rocked and the seat bounced on occasion I didn't fight the wheel.  Just kept the truck in the lane for the most part.  The wind was pushing semi's around, you could see them leaning but still going straight.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thank you cactus!  Thank you castlewood! We drove back down again today. We moved to hwy 75 after Council Bluffs. I love the whole "flat spot in the middle". ?

Mine thing I always liked about the Great Lakes is the long distances and the motion, we had a solid wind and everything on the ground was in motion.  Terrible we could not stay awhile. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

The new truck is dropped with the conversion company. The representative we met for the first time yesterday, seems very knowledgeable and professional. I think my new truck is in good hands. 

On the other hand, with a little imagination it was like meeting a friendly stranger on a deserted road and handing him the keys. I'm attempting to be facetious but some elements were like that. ???

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

• 2 months later...

Hi all!  It's been quite awhile for an update on things with our HDT.

We drove to Kansas and took delivery of our newly singled and freshly detailed HDT.  It has been in my signature for a few weeks now.  I will replace that image with a new one, singled.

I reached a big milestone yesterday.  I arrived at the county license & theft bureau yesterday morning.  The officer I have been corresponding with, inspected the truck.  He asked some questions, and then took my papers into the office.  After some time waiting, less than an hour I think, the papers were done and my approval paperwork was completed.  There was no cost.  

I went straight to the plate office and got my plate. A no hassle, very helpful woman was a pleasure to work with.  I was out of there in 15 minutes and the title is on the way.  It's not called an RV title here in North Carolina, it's called a house car.  It's as if I built a camper out of a school bus, I believe.  Now I'm legal.  Whew!!!

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Archived