KOA's

Vegas Teacher

Thank you again SWharton.  We've already reserved at the KOA "quiet" side but could change if needed.  No need to check them out but appreciate the offer.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The KOAs we have been to have been very helpful.  They do cater to families so some consider it a downside due to the early morning noise.  The KOAs are usually our first choice in looking for a place to stay. 

For Carl:  I have no idea what your activities are in Williamsburg so this may not help but all are welcome to stay on our place in Virginia Beach for free.  Our place is in the southeast of VB in a rural area and it is very quiet.  The "up front" sites are behind a vacant house so no one is bothered.   We have one full-hookup with 30 amp service, one with full-hookup with 50-amp, and could make service for more real quick.  There is lots of room for dry-camping spots about 300 yards behind the house by the creek but I warn everyone that the summer black fly are mean down there.  It is a beautiful spot.  Wide creek, two boat/fishing docks, 8 canoes, and very peaceful. No problem with generators and outdoor fires.

https://goo.gl/photos/5g4ChFCrDrop7paL6
https://goo.gl/photos/j2TSd5nYUHekLTGt7
https://goo.gl/photos/EHLVqBFaaLeotGf78

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Chet,

Man that is an enticing offer.  We are meeting up for the week with cousins we have not seen for 50 years that live in Williamsburg and Hampton so don't know what their daily plans for us are going to be.  Is getting to your place pretty simple for our rigs?  The hour drive from VB to Williamsburg may be the issue but thanks so much for the offer.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Yes, it is easy.  5409 Buzzard Neck Rd, Virginia Beach.  After coming off I-64 on Exit 291B, use Mount Pleasant to Fentress Airfield to Blackwater Rd to Pungo Ferry to Princess Anne Rd.  About 23 miles off I-64.  Good roads this way, no trees.  

About 1.5 hours from Williamsburg if you don't go when the commuters are on the road.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

9 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Yes, it is easy.  5409 Buzzard Neck Rd, Virginia Beach.  After coming off I-64 on Exit 291B, use Mount Pleasant to Fentress Airfield to Blackwater Rd to Pungo Ferry to Princess Anne Rd.  About 23 miles off I-64.  Good roads this way, no trees.  

About 1.5 hours from Williamsburg if you don't go when the commuters are on the road.

Chet,

Again thanks for the offer.  Will check with the cousins next week and see the plans.  Going to be their in early June.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

To the OPs issue at Flagstaff we have stayed at the KOA there with our HDT rig 65'. No issues. For sure call ahead. As we do everywhere we go. 

We find front desk staff at all sorts of CGs not only KOAs are not always clear on what we are and how to deal with this.  Even when we are parked right there. I always check the site or park before we go to site.

It's usually a training issue at these parks   

We have never been turned away or told our rig was a problem except thinking it's big  lol 

To lump all KOAs onto one barrel is unfair as they are individual owned and unique  

We primarily stay at KOAs on the road and find almost zero issues getting on the sites. Like all CGs you have to do the research. 

We also stay are various other CGs with success, some bad some good like anything else   

Like a previous poster mentioned KOAs have changed a lot. Big changes in the last 5-6 yrs. 

My 2 cents for what it's worth 

Safe travels. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

On 5/13/2017 at 10:03 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

That looks pretty amazing I just watched the video on line about it. Just over 1000.00 on the sigh tI was on. do you notice a big difference with it on?

I can see the lower front of my bike trailer (enclosed cargo type) moving 2 to 3 inches independently of the tow vehicle reference point. Stuff in the trailer hasn't shifted around so much on arrival. I imagine the hind end of the won ton doesn't clobber the light trailer so much on RR tracks and potholes and bridge decks and busted roads.  I have towed a 32 ft x 11 ft high x 11,000lbs travel trailer with it and the ride is really nice. You still use weight distribution if you want. It doesn't eliminate "sway" or yawing of the trailer from the push of the bow wave/crosswind cutoff of large vehicles passing you at velocity on the interstates.  The weight of your Volvo will do much of that "sway control". I have a version matched to my won ton truck capacity because I tow this and that. If you went lighter and matched to your trailer it might ride even better? I would contact AirSafe on that... I do have to play with air pressure in it a bit travelling from cold to heat, sea level to altitude - but the right air pressure is "visual" that is to say you set the dog bones in a certain position and the inflation is correct. I use my on board air but you could use a good quality hand pump it takes so little volume.  I know I would not tow any RV or cargo type trailer meant for pickups/SUV tow vehicles behind a class 8 without one of these on our busted roads in western Canada. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

X2 on the air ride tow behind hitch.  I use the same one.  Our rigs are too rigid to absorb any of the shock going back to the trailer hitch.  The same reason we run air ride 5th wheel hitches.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

Chet,

Cousins have us planned out starting early.  We'll just keep our KOA reservation. Thanks for the offer once again. May take a rain check if we're back in the area. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I do have have to  ask why even say what your tow vehicle is?? I have only ever been asked how long my trailer is. Thats it. They may look big and bulky but thats it. Most are shorter that a long box 4 door dually and will turn way shorter.

Mine is the exact same height as my camper so that isnt an issue either. I built mine 6 years ago and travel a fair bit and have never been turned away from a campsite. I have had a few say think you can park that in there and I say yup and bakc it in.

My advice is never answer a question you are not asked.

jusy my 2 cents worth

Archived