Old topic HDT Insurance

Bob Cochran

Dougherty and Associates was listed on the South Dakota DMV website for RV insurance.  I emailed them and got a reply a few minutes ago.

"Yes, we do have a company that will write the truck once the conversion is completed.  Also, the conversion has to be done by a company that is specifically in the business of truck conversions."

http://www.doughertyassoc.net

I've never seen anyone reference this company on the forum.  FYI.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

That is our ins broker.  We stopped on our way up to ND and asked them about our impending loss of coverage from Blue Sky.  They replied that they already had 1 possibly 2 carriers that would accommodate us.  What helps us is that being singled they "Rate" us as a class 7 MDT.... and having the title listed as Volvo Motorhome helps.  The title though is how we received it from Michigan when we bought it.  Cadonnelly might have insight as to how our truck was originally titled.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I finally got my non-renewal notice from Blue Sky today.  I called my broker (RV America Insurance) and they are going to call me back with some options.  We'll see what I end up with.  I'm going to miss Blue Sky.  They had good coverage and good service for a reasonable price.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We are in the process of switching our entire book of business to another company.  This would be homeowners, earthquake, two autos, trying to get HDT and trailer, and umbrella.  We are with State Farm and looking at Allstate, Farm Bureau, and Farmers.  None would cover the HDT combo but interesting Farm Bureau will not issue an umbrella policy that includes the Volvo.  If your HDT and trailer is covered elsewhere (ours with National General through Miller) be sure your umbrella covers you while utilizing it.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have an umbrella with Geico and it will not cover the HDT. Looking elsewhere.....in fact they told me it would not cover ANY tow vehicle that they would not insure...so that would even be an F450. Pretty useless umbrella. They also will not cover liability on their fulltimers policy. So, beware of what you get through them. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1 hour ago, Jack Mayer said:

I have an umbrella with Geico and it will not cover the HDT. Looking elsewhere.....in fact they told me it would not cover ANY tow vehicle that they would not insure...so that would even be an F450. Pretty useless umbrella. They also will not cover liability on their fulltimers policy. So, beware of what you get through them. 

Jack,

Farmers called and they will cover the Volvo and trailer under the umbrella even though they are unable to cover them individually as part of our book of business.  Don't know if that is because we are considering a wholesale change.  Might check with them if they could fit your needs.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have all of my other insurance with USAA, including an umbrella policy (which they farmed out, but is tied to them).  My umbrella policy covered my 5er and HDT as long as my Blue Sky policy met certain standards.  I assume when I switch the 5er and HDT to a new company, it will be the same.  Of course I will verify all this.  I wish USAA would cover the HDT at a reasonable price so I could keep everything with them (they'll do the 5er no problem).  No matter what I did with USAA they just would not cover the HDT except as a commercial policy (through Progressive) and that was not going to happen.  

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

I was informed by FCIS yesterday that nationwide will only cover MDT tow vehicles.  Progressive wants the HDT and camper or 5er to always be hooked together.  That doesn't work for me.  I'm going to call for specifics.

Still looking.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Before I go up and review posts see if I have useful input I will post this information which could answer some questions information is good anyway. 

My current policy as discussed is with National General and as some has found one I think of 2 that will cover HDT with tandem rear axles and that depends on the state you live in as well. I got mine through I guess you would call them and insurance broker Thum Insurance 3140 3 mile road NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525-3165 the agent I dealt with seemed knowledgeable and helpful their Phone is 800-866-0777.

My initial policy I got in April 2017 covered the 1998 Freightliner Century and 2014 Keystone Fusion 5th wheel toyhauler. The ANNUAL premium is $616. Since then I got my premium due for my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and the 2010 Smart car from Allstate. Well in 7 year the premium for those 2 vehicles has almost doubled approaching almost $2400 and I have excellent driving record with no accidents in a like forever in years they do not go back that far and they was minor. Hope that does not mean trouble I am knocking on wood right this second. 7 years ago it was like $1100 Annual and this time went to $1200 + SEMI ANNUAL with no notification of premium increase. Forget that is outrageous!!!

So I had thought about getting all vehicles under one insurance company so called Thum. Insurance. To add the Jeep and Smart car raised the ANNUAL premium to $1,624. I said do it so I have all 4 under National General now at that ANNUAL Premium which I don't think is to bad. Perhaps could got it for less but something to be said for having all with one insurance company.

Reason I made ANNUAL and SEMI ANNUAL caps be careful when they quote you which is which! My understanding is most now are only quoting 6 months not 12 months as they don't like being locked in for 12 months any more. Want the ability to raise our rates sooner!!!!

Okay now will look throw previous post.  

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

On 4/21/2017 at 4:17 PM, Xboaters said:

I just got a letter today from State Farm saying they won't insure my Peterbilt 379.  Good thing it's Friday and cocktail hour!!!

I vote for several Black Jack Manhattans!!!

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

On 4/21/2017 at 4:43 PM, 13speed said:

Miller can do National General as well. Are they really the same company as the one on TV with the cartoon General driving a cartoon Corvette with Shaq in the passenger seat?

Miller would have been my second choice if Thum Insurance had not worked out. Comforting to know they also use National General. I should know better than say something I am told and not check it out first. You are right National General and The General are different Insurance Companies. I did find out National General used to be call GMAC Insurance and I remember them. Not sure why the change but seems to happen a lot in the Insurance industry. 

On 5/18/2017 at 7:51 AM, lappir said:

Last year my insurance raised several hundreds of dollars. I planned to check out some other insurances, but didn't. This year my quote is several thousands of dollars more. I HAVE to check for a better rate now. Have been with National Interstate since first getting my HDT. Sure my rates have changed with the new trailer and such but this is getting outrages 

Rod

I bet you can imagine my shock without notification my insurance with Allstate almost doubled to near $2400 with no change in vehicles or accidents. That is to put it, without profanity, CRAZY. Allstate has ever been cheap but now if this is what they  are doing have to be losing customers.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, Sculptor said:

I called FCIS? In Iowa today.  They would cover my HDT but it must be bundled together with the trailer or fiver.  I have not purchased either one yet so now is not the time.  They would also insure me as a North Carolina resident.  Miller in Oregon would not.

Yep what state you live in has always made a difference both in what they will cover and premiums. 

On 5/18/2017 at 6:11 PM, lockmup68 said:

Would you mind sharing the costs? 6 months? 12 months?

Thanks,

Shannon

For me in Arizona 5er and HDT was $616

I meant to add this is for 12 months.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:30 PM, Av8r3400 said:

My HDT (registered as a motorhome) cost about $375 for six months with Auto Owners, here in Wisconsin.

It is bundled with our camper, DW's car and my LGT.  I also get my homeowner's insurance through this company.

Now that sounds like a good deal for all you have covered. 

On 5/23/2017 at 8:48 AM, lockmup68 said:

Yes, Mine was covered with homeowners as an add on. Moving to fulltime is pretty expensive. More like $325 a month for the HDT and 5th wheel. Is that normal? 

Thanks,

Shannon

It seems to be the norm I have been hearing. 

On 5/30/2017 at 10:16 AM, Sculptor said:

My quote was thru FCIS and they used both Nationwide and National General to quote.  I asked about driving the truck separately and it's not a problem.  My understanding is, the 2 units are bundled together in one but that does not mean they are inseparable.

I was told the opposite though the 5er and HDT had to be bundled to get insurance the HDT was covered when used separate from the 5er. Don't you just love these companies it seems who you talk to you get a different story. 

On 5/30/2017 at 9:44 AM, DIESELSUBMARINER said:

i am trying to get insurance right now. I was told that National Interstate is no longer insuring RV's nor HDT's.

National General apparently only insures the truck with the trailer and you are not allowed to drive the truck by itself, except for fuel run or to a service place... but i am waiting on confirmation. Also due to the age of my Truck, only Liability..

So, considering the information i have, apparently National General is the ONLY company left to insure with? btw , i am working with Miller on that.

On 5/30/2017 at 10:16 AM, Sculptor said:

My quote was thru FCIS and they used both Nationwide and National General to quote.  I asked about driving the truck separately and it's not a problem.  My understanding is, the 2 units are bundled together in one but that does not mean they are inseparable.

Same thing I was told by National General.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:46 PM, Sculptor said:

Dougherty and Associates was listed on the South Dakota DMV website for RV insurance.  I emailed them and got a reply a few minutes ago.

"Yes, we do have a company that will write the truck once the conversion is completed.  Also, the conversion has to be done by a company that is specifically in the business of truck conversions."

http://www.doughertyassoc.net

I've never seen anyone reference this company on the forum.  FYI.

Be interesting to see what they mean by "a company in the business"? If they mean a company that can change VIN's nto a lot of them out there I was told could be wrong on that though.

11 minutes ago, Bob Cochran said:
On 5/30/2017 at 1:16 PM, Sculptor said:

I was told the opposite though the 5er and HDT had to be bundled to get insurance the HDT was covered when used separate from the 5er. Don't you just love these companies it seems who you talk to you get a different story. 

I got an email and phone call follow up and my quote mentioned above was NOT allowed by Nationwide OR National General.  I will probably end up with Progressive at least the first 12 months.

I have been chatting with Dougherty and they sound good so far.  Problem is I have not supplied them with my address yet. (wink wink)  That will be a requirement.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

On 5/31/2017 at 0:03 PM, Chad Heiser said:

I finally got my non-renewal notice from Blue Sky today.  I called my broker (RV America Insurance) and they are going to call me back with some options.  We'll see what I end up with.  I'm going to miss Blue Sky.  They had good coverage and good service for a reasonable price.

Me as well and they worked hard to try and make it work after being dropped just did not have anything. I guess they have what is known as a "hard stop" and it is a corporate thing such as 5er length and tandem rear axle no amount of talk to an agent will fix it. You cannot get to the corporate people at least I could not.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:26 PM, Jack Mayer said:

One of those things just never got around to doing was getting umbrella insurance and I know I need to. I know Thum overs umbrella insurance through somebody but don't know who or any specifics.  if someone checks let us all know? My HDT is 1998 so nobody maybe will not over do to age,

On 5/31/2017 at 2:07 PM, Chad Heiser said:

I have all of my other insurance with USAA, including an umbrella policy (which they farmed out, but is tied to them).  My umbrella policy covered my 5er and HDT as long as my Blue Sky policy met certain standards.  I assume when I switch the 5er and HDT to a new company, it will be the same.  Of course I will verify all this.  I wish USAA would cover the HDT at a reasonable price so I could keep everything with them (they'll do the 5er no problem).  No matter what I did with USAA they just would not cover the HDT except as a commercial policy (through Progressive) and that was not going to happen.  

I ended up getting several different quotes from my current insurance broker (RV America) and from Miller Insurance (recommended here on the forum).  I ended up with a policy from National General through Miller Insurance.  Both brokers quoted me policies from Progressive and National General.  Miller was able to get me the best price (almost $300 per year cheaper) on a policy from National General with better coverage than the National General policy through RV America.  Miller really seemed to understand the HDT world and asked lots of questions to help get the best fitting policy.  Overall, I will be paying about $500.00 per year more than I was with Blue Sky.  I think this is part of the reason Blue Sky is no longer in the market.  They were priced too low and weren't making any money (IMO and based on a conversation I had with the Miller rep).  

The extra $500 per year I will be paying does include better coverage than I had with Blue Sky in some areas, including higher dollar coverage per incident, lower deductible, vanishing deductible and no cost glass coverage.  With all this, I am happy with the price for what I am getting.

event.png    

I keep seeing all these cheap quotes, but then I wonder what you are getting that cheap quote. As we discussed in another thread, do YOU have enough insurance to replace your truck and trailer under your unisured/underinsured coverage. 

Most policies that meet the State minimums aren't even close to covering one of our trucks. I pay 4, almost 5, times what Bob is saying he pays annually. But then again, I insured my truck for an agreed value, not blue book value. There is no blue book for our converted trucks. Trust me, they will use the value of the HDT alone when computing value. They will not care about anything else. 

Chad said:

Overall, I will be paying about $500.00 per year more than I was with Blue Sky.

That increase is almost as much as Bob says he pays annually.

Cheap insurance is great but will it put you back like you were or leave you wishing you had enough money to buy another HDT and trailer? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

18 hours ago, Big5er said:

I keep seeing all these cheap quotes, but then I wonder what you are getting that cheap quote. As we discussed in another thread, do YOU have enough insurance to replace your truck and trailer under your unisured/underinsured coverage. 

Most policies that meet the State minimums aren't even close to covering one of our trucks. I pay 4, almost 5, times what Bob is saying he pays annually. But then again, I insured my truck for an agreed value, not blue book value. There is no blue book for our converted trucks. Trust me, they will use the value of the HDT alone when computing value. They will not care about anything else. 

Chad said:

That increase is almost as much as Bob says he pays annually.

Cheap insurance is great but will it put you back like you were or leave you wishing you had enough money to buy another HDT and trailer? 

Everybody needs understand all the things that affect the premiums, credit rating, driving recorder, year of vehicles, the list goes on and on. For me the 5er is covered the truck is an agreed value which is basically what I paid for it along with things I added like ET Junior, etc.  Honestly I have gotten my moneys worth out of the truck even if they cover $0 so for me I am lucky others harder sell. What I wanted most was liability for the truck  in this sue happy world yet I still have not gotten umbrella insurance and need to look into SOON but may not be able to get it to cover a 1998 truck!!!  

I can see a time when we may have to go to commercial Insurance rightly or wrongly and its inherent high premiums. At that time will have to make a decision if going to do this anymore.  Wife been pushing for a Motor-home for awhile now!!! The fact it seems in most States there are 4 insurance company options. Let me tell you so don't be surprised say Progressive you can get in one state you will not be able to get in another. The coverage you can get and premiums will vary as well. SOOOO the prices provide by me and others is just a guideline. Another example one day went to 5 different insurance companies getting quotes. Each ran a credit check. The one I settled on at the time docked me on my credit rating because of to many credit checks. Just be aware.

Have a great day everyone. Especially Big5er your input is always good though to some a little shocking! lol

Archived