Transmission computer

kfrimr

I have a Gen2 volvo transmission. Last week I hit the button on the shifter to go from automatic to manual. It Did that but at the same time I lost the Gear indicator on the dash. It just has shown two dashes since then. Also since every once in a while, then I get a error message to check the computer. The questions is is there a reset for the transmission or do I need to go into a volvo dealer and have them hook up to their computer monitor? Is there a user fix or just a dealer?

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

My thought would be to do as Stekay suggests but drive the truck to the dealer and try it in the parking lot.  If it goes south you save the tow bill.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I hate to sound dumb, but what transmission? The only "volvo" transmission I know of is the I-shift. 

I have the manuals for the Freedomline, and I'm betting there are some Ultrashift manuals floating around here somewhere, maybe in the resource guide?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• The transmission is a Volvo with a Merritor Auto shift. Stekey I do disconnect the batteries whenever I am stopped for over a few days. All that to say it has been done but the computer keeps information like the clock on the dash. So even with the batteries disconnected the computer keeps stuff in memory. Now I've told you more than I know. 
  • Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite

Ok, the truck is a volvo, not the transmission. If the transmission is a Meritor, it is a Freedomline. These beasts are not cars where all components are "Ford" or "Dodge". An HDT can have a volvo, cat, or cummins engine, and one of several transmissions made by another manufacturer.

Mr. Seas posted links for the Eaton which are Ultra shift or Auto shift (Eaton owners will correct me). 

I will post a link to the Freedomline manuals when I get home this afternoon if no one beats me to it. Just remember that the computers (ecu, etc) are the little wires on the batteries, not the large main wires. You need to remove them all to reset the computer.

2014 smart Fortwo

I have auto shift gen one has dash gear indicator. It started doing some strange things. Ended up replacing the internal display. Fixed the issues. This indicator is not just a display 

May be not be your issue just throwing it in there. Wasn't big $. Took 20 min to replace.  

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Here is the link to the Freedomline manuals.

2014 smart Fortwo

1 minute ago, VegasFlyer said:

Time to put some new hamsters in the wheel?

Oh no...rodents in the HDT is bad juju. They do things to wires you wouldn't believe. 

2014 smart Fortwo

For the freedomline, you should be able to pull the codes if you have a blink switch. Then you can see what the codes reference in the manual link Big5ver posted. Also, if you call the service line number listed in the manual, they are very helpful. Leave a vmail and the freedomline guy will get back to you, usually within one business day. He diagnosed my problem from a voicemail message. 

Does it still shift fine manually, just not in auto-mode? does it skip shift manually? is your ABS light on? Is it a CM or AL code on the display? 

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

OK, Thanks everyone for your input. I made sure all wires were disconnected from the batteries. There were several smaller wires not connected to my system disconnect switch. I then started and problem was still there. So I went to the windshield wiper switch and went to "Fault Diagnostics" "Transmission ECU" and got "Operations Failed" in the information box.

So I guess next is to take it to Volvo. Thanks again for your helpfulness. 

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite

Did you check those smaller wires carefully? Clean and/or replace the ends? You can get corrosion in there and not get a good connection. 

2014 smart Fortwo

any fault codes on the display? Page 7 here: https://www.zf.com/usa_canada/media/zfmig_united_states/zfmig_corporate_replacement_parts_1/zfmig_service_portfolio/zfmig_class8/mm0150.pdf

tells you how to find the codes if you have a blink switch and what the displayed codes mean. 

HTH,

Shannon

The "--" means the J1587 data is missing...tranny and computer are not talking, so I am betting no codes.
I would double check the wires to the ECU and trans computer for corrosions....even unseen corrosion. I would check those terminal connections real close. 

2014 smart Fortwo

31 minutes ago, Big5er said:

The "--" means the J1587 data is missing...tranny and computer are not talking, so I am betting no codes.
I would double check the wires to the ECU and trans computer for corrosions....even unseen corrosion. I would check those terminal connections real close. 

what he said. and the computer for the trans gets its power direct from the battery bank if I remember correctly. I cleaned those connections as well.

Shannon, No code or other faults and it shifts fine. Just no read out on the dash. and to bring up transmission faults it just reads operation failed.

OK tomorrow I'll check the connections. Sure appreciate your helpfulness. 

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm back. We found out that my wife has cancer and now has had surgery and is now recovering and we are waiting for word from the lab to see if they got it all. If they didn't we will be staying in AZ through the the summer. We really don't want to do that.

So how do I know which of the smaller wires connecting to the battery is for the transmission? I did disconnect them all and it made no differance. So Now to replace the ends. I didn't necessarily want to replace them all if it is easy to recognize which one is the culprit .

Thanks for your helpfulness.

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite

I experienced that (cancer) myself in Phoenix and we were there through the summer. Where are you staying? You can send me a private message if you want.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Hope you get the fault issue taken care of but now the main issue will be to take care of the wife. I hope and prey that the results show they got it all. You and especially your wife are in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless    Pat

The Old Sailor

We are actually in Mesa. She has surgery at Chandler Regional. We are in a park  near Val Vista Rd north of I-60. Thanks so much for your condolences, well wishes and especially your prayers. 

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite

Archived