Allison fans - red truck(s) alert...

noteven

That is a nice looking truck.  It would be interesting to take it for a drive and see how it does.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I'm curious how it would do on fuel mileage vs an automated manual transmission.  I like the hill features as I have to drive hills every time I leave my property.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Every so often I do a truck paper scan for the ultimate RV stoplight dragster - the class 8 truck with an Allison trans:

Low mileage Freightliners with Allison

Looks like it is meant for oval racing with the cheater bar on the steering wheel, left turn only but you probably could use it to keep it straight for drag racing!

Close to the ECR rally may have to do a day trip.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Allison Tech spec sheets say the RDS 4500 have a .76 and a .67 overdrive in 5th & 6th. Coupled with a 3.91 rear should put the highway rpm in a good range. Once you're in 3rd gear the torque converter usually locks up also. If you want more gear "steps" a lot of them can be programmed to go 1Converter-1 Lockup, 2C-2L. 3C-3L, then 4L, 5L 6L, which feels like 9 speeds as it shifts. Our buses do 1C-1-L, 2-C 2-L 3-L 4-L 5-L 6-L. That seems to be more common. I'd have one of them in a heartbeat if I had the $$. Super simple to drive, and in RV service they would last forever.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

On 3/9/2017 at 8:44 AM, RickS said:

Interesting video here on the Allison

New forum format still has "minor rant" mode :) - 

I am going to raise an objection yerhonour - I was suprised a respected company like Allison would publish such a video.  Absolutely - steep grade torque converter holding on the throttle with the Allison is one of it's features and benefits. Would you take a manual transmission or iShift truck and hold it with the clutch or the brakes on a grade? The roll back once the brakes release is how the hill hold works on the Eaton trans system. It releases after X seconds or as soon as throttle input/clutch closing happens.  If the driver does not understand that he/she needs a bit more training.   

Rant mode off... 

An Allison class 8 would still make an most excellent RV locamotive...stop and go traffic who cares?... And a most excellent daily driver...  a guy/gal might just go driving around.  Get enough weight off your HDT with 1650 or 1850 torques x an Allison they are fun off the line... 

I need a coffee

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We have one (RDS 4500 6speed) behind an 8.9 Cummins 345 HP/1100 lb-ft.  It's tagged at 65K but usually runs around at 40K ish.  Remember putting the racing shift kit in your car instead of the street/strip one?  Yeah that's what it's like in traffic or at low speed.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived