Bed tool box condensation issues

CrazyCooter

I just opened up my boxes for the first time in at least two months and everything is soaked! Water on the interior surfaces, carpet, everything....... I guess this has been brought on by the extreme temperature sways that we have right now?

Has anyone found a solution?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I live a moist climate (Ohio river valley), and my tool boxes only get water inside if they leak. I'm not speaking of good quality boxes, but even cheap tractor boxes. I understand you've had a little precipitation of late........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yes it's been super wet here this year! I suppose there could be a leak, but they are so airtight I can hardly get the doors closed. I can also drive through a rainstorm without any indication of water intrusion. It's just when it's parked for long periods when the temps drop.

Maybe I'll pressurize the cabinets and spray with soapy water just to verify.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Yes it's been super wet here this year! I suppose there could be a leak, but they are so airtight I can hardly get the doors closed. I can also drive through a rainstorm without any indication of water intrusion. It's just when it's parked for long periods when the temps drop.

Maybe I'll pressurize the cabinets and spray with soapy water just to verify.

Another thought (always bad for me) is to look into the dehumidifier rods used in gun safes to keep box warm. Or, you could use a light bulb, if you can still find the old style.

You could also get some gun safe desiccant from Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop. When it gets used just pop in the oven to dry out and use again.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The thought had crossed my mind to install some type of electric solution. It I ever get around to installing and wiring the inverter and solar, I'll have outlets in the boxes and the truck will be plugged in during storage.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Venting would be my suggestion. Being absolutely sealed gives no way for air to come in/out with temp changes which will create the condensation. Need a vent hole positioned so you don't get splash. Maybe with a little rubber "U" for a baffle like a headlight assembly, but bigger. Same theory, headlights will also get condensation without enough ventilation as they go through heat/cool cycles.

My metal roof sheds and shop build a lot of condensation.

Venting hasn't worked for me on them.

It builds up on the inside of the roof and rains down.

I would try caned spray liner or under coating on the inside of the top.

For an experiment, can you attach carpet or foam insulation temporarily to the lid?

Archived