HDT in Arizona

bjarm

Checked the link and the only info I found was back when Larry Zeigler was in businesses. Does a private truck require CDL in Arizona?

Any newer info on if/how to register a HDT in Arizona that is registered in another state as a motorhome?

1999 Volvo 610 Detroit 12.7, 4.70, 10 speed, 40' Teton

Too many motorcycles and not enough time

www.shredx.net

No RV registration for HDT in AZ and no-non-CDL drivers license.

That's why I am maintaining residency in IL. Eventually I may move to SD.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Just left Arizona ADOT law enforcement with the latest info on HDT in Arizona.

Any vehicle weighing 10,000 lbs or more with a bumper pull can be a motorhome if it passes requirements like toilet, shore power and such.

Any vehicle weighing 10,000 lbs or more with 5th wheel hitch is a truck......period. If you haul other people's stuff you are commercial and need a CDL. If you haul only your stuff you are private, NO CDL required. You will need to pay weight tax plus registration. Weight tax for our Volvo is $120 year and registration is based on year of vehicle, the older the cheaper.

Lesson learned....never talk to MVD for info , go directly to ADOT Law Enforcement officer.

Bruce

1999 Volvo 610 Detroit 12.7, 4.70, 10 speed, 40' Teton

Too many motorcycles and not enough time

www.shredx.net

Shucks, forget Az, CA, SD, Mt ...even TX (how could you forget TX?)...just wonder up to Oregon the DMV will motorhome register ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING that you can drag into the parking lot....all it takes $$$$$ and more $$$$$....

Dollytrolley and 30 ft Dollyomma bunkhouse are $600 ....ya see in Oregon they just fine you on the day you register your rig BUT a 15 year old with a learners permit can drive it..... COMRADE....

Drive on.....(rich move to ORegone to get poor...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It has been years so this may be dated but my MDT required an emissions test on a regular basis in the Phoenix area, it was rather expensive. Plate tax on the MDT was painful too but it goes down as your truck is older.

We moved to SD with the truck expense as the primary reason, we were also happy to avoid the high AZ sales tax on a new fiver and the AZ income tax. We had been living with that for several years, the truck cost to keep it in AZ broke the camel's back and we moved. Texas would have been a better option than SD aside from a non-RV related legal issue we had.

The DMV lied to me too, I had carefully checked and documented exactly who told me what and confirmed it with the DMV supervisor. Went out of state to pick the truck up, got the paperwork done exactly as instructed and when we got back they decided that they had been wrong and I owed a LOT more tax.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Howdy!

Are MDT's also required to fill up at truck stops? It's been a few years sense our last visit to AZ but I did not use truck stops to fill our MDT when we did.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy!

Are MDT's also required to fill up at truck stops? It's been a few years sense our last visit to AZ but I did not use truck stops to fill our MDT when we did.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Actually there was a exemption for RV units from the +.08 gal commercial fuel tax.

In a moronic move to "enhance" tax revenues AZ sent some agents to pinch a bunch of us hardened criminals called Geezer RV owners that were filling up at the non commercial pumps.

The AZ tax Geeks would lie in ambush and wait until the geezer RV'r just finished filling then the would swoop on and then they would look at the pump and add a $10 per gallon surcharge onto a already steep citation.....

We were hanging out with Dolly-the-paint-horse at a stable in Yuma and heard that the tax scammers were hitting Geezers at the shell mini Mart on East Frontage road so.....I wondered down to the Shell station and pulled into the non commercial diesel pump and stuck the nozzle into the Dollytrolley and ran the credit card and the pump turned on and then it turned right off and then a pleasant voice drifted out of the speaker at the pump asking me to come into the cash register.

A nicely suited lawyer ask me to pull the Dollytrolley over to the commercial pumps to fuel.....I said I was a RV and was exempt from the COMMERCIAL fuel tax...he smiled and said yes sir I understand that is the case and once you complete your fueling we will ring up your fuel purchase at the commercial tax rate and then discount your purchase at the tax rate and then deduct the tax from our AZ tax report. While I was chatting at the cash register the tax Geeks slinked over to the pump and looked at the Zeros on the meter and walked over to their car.

I pulled the Dollytrolley over to the commercial tax pumps bought a couple hundred dollars worth of fuel at the commercial tax rate and it was recorded on the receipt and then the $.08 discount per gallon was deducted on the bottom.....

The casher thanked me for my purchase anded have a nice day...

You know ......it just might be a steep pull up the hill to....."make Arizona great again..."

How dumb is it for Tax Geeks in AZ to Hassel and fine snowbirds in the winter....Answer: Really dumb....

The really sad part is that a lot of snowbirds refuse to partake of buying diesel in AZ and it really hurts the fuel vendors....

I wonder IF the tax fines pay a profit over the expenses of the tax scamming the snowbirds.... likely not....

It's tough being a taxpayer.....

Drive on....(fuel NOT in AZ)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived