Secure firearms storage

bbengleking

If you are talking hand guns, then there are many decent safes that can be bolted down to secure them. If you are talking long guns, then it is a little more difficult. Secure in a 5th wheel is still a relative term. Unless the safe is somehow attached to steel framing, nothing inside a 5th wheel is truly secure.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

A pistol safe under the bed or in the bottom of a closet should be fine.

If you need to store long guns consider going to a metal shop and having them make you a custom fit gun safe for under the bed.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Under the bed is likely one of the larger spaces for long gun storage. Some foldout sofa beds and jack knife sofas have space underneath that can be used for storage. If there are dinette benches with storage, the space may be large enough for break down long guns like double barrel or over and under shotguns. Larger wardrobes may have enough room for upright storage of one or two long guns in the back behind the clothes.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

While there are lots of alternatives in both home made and retail safes available, I used a metal 5.56mm military Ammo can lag bolted under the bed in the front right corner for handguns, and just laid the shotgun and rifles in cases under it loose. I just put a hasp on the bed between the top and front sidewall. Simple keyed lock is all I needed. The military ammo can can also lock.

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Locking-Hardware-Steel/dp/B018EYU5HQ/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K84Q37WSTHQZWKW3WHFK

Most beds are over the basement in fivers and you can see where the 1" lag bolts will go. I just drilled 3/8ths holes in the bottom of the steel ammo can and then used 1/4" X 2" lag bolts through the bottom of the can. Then when the foam inserts and guns are in, and the lock is locked on the box, it is pretty tough to get under it to remove it quickly.

The reason for the foam inserts is that I did not want any damage to the finish from vibration causing rubbing while on the road:

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Pistol-Pre-cut-Military/dp/B00K8GWRYI

Simple and inexpensive. Then you can take them out when parked or whatever each individual wants to do. These are just for secure storage from kids and adults who put their noses where they don't belong. When anyone uses locked storage is their biz.

For idea pics click here: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rv+under+bed+storage&view=detailv2&qpvt=rv+under+bed+storage&id=863A2090576D12C9684E4FAA475E00E335E42AE5&selectedindex=31&ccid=7d8Ulq91&simid=607987101992878452&thid=OIP.Meddf1496af7568c1c220ba769bdd69e6o0&mode=overlay&first=1

On edit, for those unfamiliar with storage in rifle/shotgun cases, rust formation can increase so take them out and clean them more often. The steel ammo cans are hermetically sealed and with just a small packet of moisture absorber can be less rusty than storage at home. Just inspect more often until you know.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I agree with RV. Better to have long guns unloaded in cases and lying flat when traveling rather than standing unless they are secured from jostling. Not good to have a nice rifle/shotgun with rub marks. Also look at StackOn website. They make several inexpensive handgun safes from thick wall to thin wall that can be easily bolted to floor in closet or under bed. Some of the thin walls just have keyed barrel locks.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

That's pretty nifty!! Thanks for sharing, Chalkie. That would be perfect for a ready access house backup.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.. because I intend to pick one up myself.. but rumor has it.. Costco will be offering the VelocityVault for $69.99 + $2.99 shipping as a black Friday item. (online only) November 25th-28th. I don't know if this information is legit, but I plan to give it a look-see.

That's pretty nifty!! Thanks for sharing, Chalkie. That would be perfect for a ready access house backup.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.. because I intend to pick one up myself.. but rumor has it.. Costco will be offering the VelocityVault for $69.99 + $2.99 shipping as a black Friday item. (online only) November 25th-28th. I don't know if this information is legit, but I plan to give it a look-see.

I just looked in the flyer I got at our Costco store and it is more than rumor. When I got mine in the store, and I hope to see them this year again, but it is definitely on for online ordering. I would like another.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I just looked in the flyer I got at our Costco store and it is more than rumor.

Fantastic! I appreciate you looking that up. Can't always trust what you see on the internet. Does it happen to say if there is a limit per customer? For occasions when it's not appropriate to carry.. I wouldn't mind having a second one in the cab rather than stashing it between the seats or the glove box.

Secure in a house is still relative as well. I'm just looking to keep little hands and prying eyes out.

Yeah, but in the house, my gun safe was bolted into a concrete floor. Like Chad said, unless it is attached to the frame, nothing in a travel trailer is that secure.

Also, my bed is in the slide. It moves and is fairly weak. Its a strong wooden frame with a plywood bottom. No bolts going in there...and screwing a safe into cheap wood isn't any good either. A locked gun case and cable locks will keep little hands and prying eyes away. And a cheap portable safe will keep all the keys together.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived