Rent a HDT?

bbengleking

Luckily enough, I don't think you would have had to go past plan B to continue the trip.

You are correct thanks to you, Ken, Tom, Paul and others. Nice to have friends in high places (Beverly Hills section of Hutch :))

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Britt,

Interesting idea but when I was at Hutch and my hitch was broken I was going through plans A,B,C,D. Plan D was having my rig towed home. The cost was over $1.00/mile round trip so from Hutch to Knoxville was $2,200. So a full timer moving cross country two or three times per year could face significant costs BUT it may be cheaper than owning and maintaining their own HDT. Need some bean counters to chime in.

I agree with the costs. However, if you think about the freedom and peace of mind that type of service would provide, it may be worth it. To be clear, this wouldn't be me. I have no time whatsoever. Maybe I could talk my Dad into it. I just want to build the truck. :D

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Since it would be a commercial venture, there would be no need to jump through the hoops t convert to motorhome status. That might open some possibilities. A long wheelbase day cab would do, if you slept in the fiver you were delivering.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Since it would be a commercial venture, there would be no need to jump through the hoops t convert to motorhome status. That might open some possibilities. A long wheelbase day cab would do, if you slept in the fiver you were delivering.

My thoughts exactly on the jumping through hoops issue. I was thinking a small, light VNL630, to be as efficient as possible.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Britt,

Interesting idea but when I was at Hutch and my hitch was broken I was going through plans A,B,C,D. Plan D was having my rig towed home. The cost was over $1.00/mile round trip so from Hutch to Knoxville was $2,200. So a full timer moving cross country two or three times per year could face significant costs BUT it may be cheaper than owning and maintaining their own HDT. Need some bean counters to chime in.

Easiest way to become a millionaire in the RV delivery business? Start as a Multi-millionaire.

You all heard the joke about throwing a dime at each milemarker sign? How fast do you want to spin up your truck, on trailer tires you know nothing about? Travel faster puts more $$$ in your pocket at the end of the day, but exposes you to greater risk of being on the side of the road, earning nothing. If you're not turning, you're not earning.

Rickeieio's idea of staying commercial is correct, but brings higher insurance, log books, mandated down-time, and more expense tracking than most of us currently do.

If there was big money here, Camping World wouldn't be crying for hired O/O's. They aren't the only game in town, of course, but certainly have a large mega-phone to advertise with.

Getting a back haul can put more $$$ in your pocket, but can't be counted on in budgeting, unless you're willing to sit in a truck stop waiting for something to appear. Not worth my time.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived