Older Rigs

Snufy1

Hello everyone I'm a new to RVing and in the process of restoring a 1983 Revcon King 33 It is in really pretty good shape just needs cleaning and make sure everything works. I plan on being on the road by February

I have heard that with older rigs you can have trouble getting into a lot of parks

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Condition and attitude count a lot more than age. Coming into a park with that pulled by a nice 1985 Crew Cab Chevy C20 should turn a lot of heads.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Condition and attitude count a lot more than age. Coming into a park with that pulled by a nice 1985 Crew Cab Chevy C20 should turn a lot of heads.

Maybe you meant 'Coming into a park with that pulling a nice 1985 Crew Cab Chevy C20 should turn a lot of heads' ?

Goes around , comes around .

A lot of parks have verbiage on their website or elsewhere about rigs over ten years old. That is there simply to give them a legitimate reason to turn away eyesores. If it is in good shape and looks nice no one will say a thing. Possible exception would be some of the "Class A only" parks, but who wants to stay there anyway!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Yes, I stand corrected. I don't know my older RV's as well as some folks here. My point being an older travel trailer or 5th wheel in nice shape pulled by the same vintage tow vehicle also nice will be appreciated by RVer's in a lot of parks.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Yes, I stand corrected. I don't know my older RV's as well as some folks here. My point being an older travel trailer or 5th wheel in nice shape pulled by the same vintage tow vehicle also nice will be appreciated by RVer's in a lot of parks.

I knew what you meant and I agree . :)

I don't mind running 'older' equipment as witnessed by our 1995 Jeep Country and my bikes are 1989 to 1957 . They are great conversation starters . There aren't very many stops that don't include questions about what and how old ... ;)

Our Monaco is a 2000 and we have never been 'park rejected' .

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We appreciate your having chosen us and will do all that we can to help.

I have heard that with older rigs you can have trouble getting into a lot of parks

There are very few RV parks that have any rules about older RVs for short term visits but some of the "destination" parks do have a rule of no RVs that are more than 10 years old. More commonly they want to check the appearance of older RVs before they allow you to stay for longer periods, and occasionally one will do that for short term stays. Such rules for the parks that are mostly used by shorter term are very rare but if the RV looks really bad, then you may find some parks reluctant, or unwilling to allow you to stay. Even the oldest RVs that have been restored and/or updated only very rarely have any such issues.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are full timing in a 99 Rexhall. Only once have we seen the 10 year rule at a park we wanted to spend the winter in. We called them about it and they told us to send a picture. When they saw the rig was well kept they said "No Problem" and we stayed there 3 months. There were other older rigs also in the park.

I sympathize with the park owners, we've seen some real eyesores in parks. Thousand Trails seems to attract more than their share!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Thank you for your encouragement I had checked with the KOA here they said it had to be 2002 or newer

I plan on taking a number of short trips to work out the bugs before we hit the road my wife has a list of places that she wants to see we figure we will be gone for 4 to 5 months

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

my wife has a list of places that she wants to see we figure we will be gone for 4 to 5 months

That made me laugh. I would double or triple that time because once you get out there you will discover that leisurely is the best way to travel.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'm sure that your right but it will be our first long trip and we will still have the s&b and we can't afford to do both for much longer than that

Michele is already talking about selling everything and going full-time

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

If your rig is clean and well maintained then how can they tell what year it is? They aren't going to ask for the title to prove anything.

I can't imagine a KOA that would deserve an age limit on rigs visiting it, most of them are way over priced and not exactly top for maintenance.

Of course I'd never condone lying to them, but if you forgot exactly what year yours was I'm sure they'd never guess.

Personally I avoid KOA's, they just aren't good value for money. Join Passport America (PA) it will pay for itself the first time you use it, then get the phone app for PA. RV Parky and RV Campground review. You'll be camping in style for half the price!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

It is a 1983 Revlon slant nose when I'm finished and on the road it will be a clean and polished but it is a 83 and looks like a space ship

I only checked KOA because it is the closest park and I want to take a few short trips before we hit the road

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

I'd assume that this one is pretty close to what you have?

3519710075_1f2b560445.jpg

Probably has a 454, GM engine, 4 barrel corroborator, and 3 speed automatic transmission. If it is anything like the (87)GM P-30 chassis motorhome that we had, you can expect somewhere around 6 - 7 mpg depending upon how you drive it.

Looks similar to our 1993 Foretravel.

In March we were in Corpus Christi and looked at several parks with the idea that we might decide to winter there. One of them said that they would have to see our coach, but probably would NOT approve it. Another one (same company) said that we would have to commit to a five-month stay (!).

The biggest thing we've found in two years of full-timing in this coach is that you need to be prepared to spend a few coach bucks once in a while on repairs. (One coach buck = $1000.) Earlier this week we replaced the fuel lines and alternator, to the tune of about $1500.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Definitely seek parks other than KOAs. You'll save a lot of money. If you're 62+ be sure to get your national Senior Pass which will give you 1/2 price on national parks, national forest campgrounds, Corp of Engineer and others. If a site has electric you will pay the electric portion - a small amount. State parks are other great places to stay. Have fun!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Yup but it is all silver with a black apron

I don't plan on staying at any KOA it was just down the road from home and thought that it would be a good place to stay the first time out in case we forgot something or something did not work

We want to workcamp and I am an ELK so we will stay at different lodges when we can

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Yup but it is all silver with a black apron

I don't plan on staying at any KOA it was just down the road from home and thought that it would be a good place to stay the first time out in case we forgot something or something did not work

We want to workcamp and I am an ELK so we will stay at different lodges when we can

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

We want to workcamp ..........

It is pretty common in work-camping applications to be asked for a picture of the rig. The reason being that the parks want a rig that looks nice, and isn't trashy or an ugly home-built. Even a few volunteer positions will do that. It is also pretty common for them to want a picture of the people as well and of any pets. With appearance being so important to the visitor first impressions, that should be understandable. We just made those two pictures a part of our resume.

It is pretty common in work-camping applications to be asked for a picture of the rig. The reason being that the parks want a rig that looks nice, and isn't trashy or an ugly home-built. Even a few volunteer positions will do that. It is also pretty common for them to want a picture of the people as well and of any pets. With appearance being so important to the visitor first impressions, that should be understandable. We just made those two pictures a part of our resume.

I'm pretty sure that every volunteer position we've applied for asked for pictures .

Yes from what I've seen a lot of them do ask for pictures I understand why they would I am spending a lot of time cleaning and polishing I'm putting new tires and wheels on. The paint is coming off of the AC covers so I will repaint them

When I'm finished I don't think I'll have a problem with looks I was just concerned about the age it is still a 1983 I've been trying to post a picture not having much luck can't make it small enough.

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

This forum is a great help for us newbies

I have learned a lot reading some of the different topics Like my refrigerator has been recalled now I have to work on that but I would have never known about it without the forum's I want to thank everyone for their advice and guidance

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Yes from what I've seen a lot of them do ask for pictures I understand why they would I am spending a lot of time cleaning and polishing I'm putting new tires and wheels on. The paint is coming off of the AC covers so I will repaint them

When I'm finished I don't think I'll have a problem with looks I was just concerned about the age it is still a 1983 I've been trying to post a picture not having much luck can't make it small enough.

I've been RV'ing for over 50 years, including full timing for almost ten years. I've never been to an RV Park or a campground which had an RV age restriction or asked for pictures. I know there are some out there, as I have read about them on various forums, but I don't think they are commonplace. It's not something I think you should be concerned about.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived