Transmission service light

lappir

I have read, heard, seen and now have suffered with a transmission issue. Looking for the best path. Did a forum search for "XY shifter" and came up with nothing. Trying to think of what other search parameters I can use to re-read some of the previous posts on Transmission issues.

Started a couple weeks ago while working on my motorcycle loader project. Needed to move the truck just a bit but something happened during the clickety click process and the service light came on at the transmission push button panel. Thinking I may have not been sure I was in neutral when I shut down. (don't know why, but it was one of those days thinking a lot about one subject and just going through the motions of others). Maybe it was still in gear when I lowered the suspension, anyway I released the brakes, hit the valve to inflate the rear and recycled the key and the truck started. All was good.

Fast forward to yesterday. Truck parked under a leantoo barn to keep the rain out of the hole in the side. Sort of had to squeeze it in. Climbed in yesterday to move it back to the shop and 'check transmission at next stop' message came up on the dash with the service light flashing on the keypad. It had been several weeks since I parked it so there was no air to cycle the brakes and raise the rear end. Crawled under and looked around in the dark. Flash light in the truck dead and couldn't see my other light until later in the day. Called a mechanic friend who brought out a connector to try and back fill the air and maybe be able to cycle the brakes, but that didn't seem to want to work. YET SUDDENLY, the green lights all lit up on the transmission pad and the truck started.

I had cycled the key many, many times before that with no success. I was really just turning on the key to check the air gauge to see if it was rising. It wasn't and I only needed to turn on the dash lights to see that. Have some other work planned on the truck by my mechanic and told him to put the service call on that bill and to plan on diagnosing this now twice occurring event. He was OK with putting the service call on account, but not about trying to diagnose what he called a Volvo issue. He will do some work on my truck but not much if it has electronic or electrical involved. I think he was burnt by chasing some Volvo electrical in the past and maybe on my truck was one of them. Worked many hours, not able to fix and is the type of guy who won't charge you if he could not fix the problem he agreed to work on. I did add money to the bill he presented to me, but maybe not enough. Enough that he did drop everything and come to my rescue though. (Thankfully).

There is another shop in the area who have a good reputation for most things, but are VERY EXPENSIVE. They don't have the same ethic with the if I didn't fix it no charge. They charge for every minute the mechanic is touching the truck, a book about the truck or anything related to the repair of said truck. They will be my LAST resort.

Volvo in Des Moines has varied opinions about them that I have been able to find. There is a shop in Missouri Ball Volvo that I had the tilt steering fixed and a computer adjustment that was reasonable. It's another 100 miles away and not on my current travel path. Hopefully I will have a working motorcycle lift in the next couple weeks and will be able drop the truck off for an evaluation at either place. Would like to have some info from others who have had this problem and a potential resolution, before I take it in. Hopefully I have a few more bits of luck. It started at least six times yesterday with moves I needed to make. I just made sure I put the suspension down while in neutral released the brakes and reactivated them after the shift of the rear wheels. Will be putting a line in to refill the air. (Have been planning to do for a long time but never seemed to remember when I had the truck in for other service and didn't think it was a big deal for me.) Guess I was wrong. Again.

Rod

sorry for being extra wordy, but if you read my posts they just seem to be eh?

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Pull the fault codes and follow the trouble guide. Manuals are in the resource guide to show the procedure. If you call Eaton they will walk you thru the steps on code retrieval and help isolate the fault. The manual is pretty good and so were Eaton when I called them a few times.

Some have had issues as mentioned with wiring and connectors. But on our truck with the A/S 10 all was perfect no corrosion and clean connections. I did go thru them all but just cleaned and put dielec grease on them. Was not our issues.

I have replaced the Rev Ball switch for a rev issue and also XY shifter and power supply for the tranny ecm for a shift issue and fault not allowing start, stuck in 5th gear. This was over the last 9 years and 75K miles.

Bill

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Not sure what model # transmission you have but this might help....

http://www.wellertruck.com/pdf/tsupp/ElecTS/Eaton%20Gen%201%20Autoshift%20Troubleshooting%20Guide.pdf

On page 1-3 is the key sequence used to retrieve and reset fault codes. After you "read" the codes use the charts on the next couple of pages to tell you what the fault code indicates might be causing your fault lamp.

You also mentioned the truck was sitting awhile before you tried to start it. Might have had low battery voltage. This will sometimes cause a "service" light to illuminate.

Thank you for the responses. Yes the truck was out of air, but it has done that almost from the day I have owned. I have fixed many a leak and have the parts for the next leak repair at the shop waiting on me to finish my current non air related project.

I haven't looked at the links yet but will soon. Thank you for finding them for me. The Batteries are essentially new. I put them in last year and since then the only time they are not plugged into a battery monitor/charger is when the truck is being driven daily. I did connect a larger charger for a few minutes but don't think that had any effect.

Thank you again,

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 1 month later...

Back with trouble again. Seems to be only when I de air the suspension when working with the truck. If I get it started I won't be doing that again for a while.

Was able to completely air up the truck and raise the suspension but no go this time. Tried to pull the codes but just have a steady flash with the service light and no separation. Don't see that as an option yet. Am going to try resetting the fault and see what happens.

Wish me luck. Making it to the rally isn't going to happen again this year. I will be thinking about everyone and if you run out of things to think about you might ponder on my transmission problem.

Thanks

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Reset the codes and the green Neutral light came on. Truck fired right up. Found an active code of "Own Data Link Data Error". Anyone seen that before. Heading to the trouble shooting manual to see what I can find.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

See what I suggested previously on this thread to call eaton. It sounds like an air related switch issue or sensor. But they should be able to help nail it down.

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

See what I suggested previously on this thread to call eaton. It sounds like an air related switch issue or sensor. But they should be able to help nail it down.

I will look for a number and call Monday. Trying to decide what Volvo shop to take the truck to. My choices are GATR in Des Moines or Cedar Rapids and Ball in Kahoka, Mo. I have gotten parts in Des Moines and had my Tilt wheel fixed at Ball. Des Moines is closest and on my route to pick up the trailer later this month, so that's probably the one I will use. My brother had a daycab for a few years pulling gas and diesel and used them. Had sort of a love/hate relationship several years ago. Was a new truck and warranty work but if the wheels aren't turning it isn't making money. There were a few more of those days than he really wanted.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

If it ends up being a simple part change the access for most humans ? Will req seats, shifter stand, floor mat, lossen eng dog house a bit not remove, pull tranny access floor panel.

Gives real good access. The labor rate for all that adds to the job big time.

Some shops will have a real skinny guy and a pit and they can squirm up on there from below. ?

So if you can figure out the issue and do that work yourself it's a real big savings.

Thanks Bill, I am not a skinny guy and it's hard to get under the fairings, but once under there seems to be a lot of room around the transmission. I am assuming things that I need will be on top and out of my reach unless I go from the top. I don't have a lot of time so I may have to bite the bullet and pay the Volvo guys. (Or try to find a skinny friend.)

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Sorry you're having problems Rod! Do you have a 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Autoshift? 1st Gen has that large stick kind of thing mounted to the floor where a normal manual stick shift would be. Gen II has nothing mounted on the floor I believe? That might help with people finding codes and trouble shooting stuff? Does either generation of Autoshift have any air connections? I thought they didn't? I thought it was the Freedomline that had air? Just wondering if the air thing might be a red herring?

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Sorry you're having problems Rod! Do you have a 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Autoshift? 1st Gen has that large stick kind of thing mounted to the floor where a normal manual stick shift would be. Gen II has nothing mounted on the floor I believe? That might help with people finding codes and trouble shooting stuff? Does either generation of Autoshift have any air connections? I thought they didn't? I thought it was the Freedomline that had air? Just wondering if the air thing might be a red herring?

Thanks Bob,

I am not sure but think I have a Gen 1, My shift is a push button panel attached to the drivers seat. If all goes well today I hope to crawl under the truck and take some photos of what I can easily see around the transmission in preparation for a call to Eaton tomorrow. With the first real "no start" situation I was under and really didn't see much, but my lighting was bad and I was on a dirt floor. Hope the big shop is empty today at my cousins and I can run the front tires up on some large blocks to make it easier to crawl around on a nice smooth concrete floor.

Are you at the Rally? I am for sure putting the week on my calendar for next year.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod,

If you read the manual that I linked to a few threads ago there are some simple " troubleshooting" steps you can

use to "narrow" down your problem. Might save a few bucks at the dealer and you get to learn something about your trans. Check your door tag and match it to the trans model numbers on the title page of the manual.

I can't make the Rally this year. Hopefully next year.

I think I might be wrong about no air. Looks like maybe they do use air for some stuff. I'm sure you'll find the problem and it won't be a huge cost. The service manager at my local Kenworth shop said he can't remember ever having to take apart an autoshift. He said the repairs they do are just to the various connections and stuff on the outside. I like that better than pulling the trans and taking it apart.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

GOODMORNING

1ROD, where in the world are you? If you are around a Kenworth dealer, maybe "MHC", there in 10 states and are also a Volvo dealer. Contrary to popular belief you don't need to take your Volvo to a Volvo dealer for service. Unless you have a cab or chassis issue any good truck (class8) dealer can fix your truck. I forgot to include a Volvo engine in the c/c list.

I sent you an e-mail with an "XY" SHIFTER diagrams and parts list. I agree with Bill R about yours being a Gen 2 Auto shift.

To my knowledge there is no or little difference between the Gen 1 an 2 trans other than the shifter, touch pad as opposed to the shift tower.

Good luck I hope this week is better for you. I hasten to suggest you call Eaton Tech Dept. they can be very helpful.

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Ken,

Got your email this weekend. Spent most of my time working with the truck getting the motorcycle loading stuff completed and some other work in the Truck box. Have decided that I won't be letting the air out of the suspension any time soon. That seems to be the trigger to the no start issue. I will be calling Eaton one of these days. Just haven't gotten to it just yet. Thank you everyone who has responded and provided the assistance.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I'm going throw this out there just as info..

One of the 780's in our group is an 07 with the ISX/Eaton 18spd auto (Gen3). On the last two trips he started having issues with it sticking in 10th gear or even 4th. Wouldnt upshift or downshift. At one point the truck wouldnt start and error msgs would pop up on the dash. It took him playing with the key and using the tranny keypad shifting back and forth between N, D and R until it finally free'd itself up. The troubles have been sporadic and no one thing would seem to trigger it.

After lots of reading and research I found him a deal for an XY switch through Weller Truck Parts that specializes in reman parts. Like most of us we dont have unlimited funds and cant just drop these things off at the dealer and wait... AND PAY! It took him longer to remove the seats and carpet to gain access to the removable plate in the floor.. It took me roughly 15 minutes to swap out the XY and re-calibrate it. (the first one was defective so I really dont include the trouble shooting we did) He (Ryan) will be test driving it tomorrow so I will update you once I have an update. This all went down this morning so we ran out of time before work to test drive it.
I will say that tech service at Eaton and Weller were top notch! Once it was swapped and calibrated the error codes went away and the truck started flawlessly each time.

kE2rFnSm.jpgqgOIfnWm.jpg

2204aX0m.jpg9tlTfyim.jpg

kd0PyeLm.jpg

I'm going throw this out there just as info..

One of the 780's in our group is an 07 with the ISX/Eaton 18spd auto (Gen3). On the last two trips he started having issues with it sticking in 10th gear or even 4th. Wouldnt upshift or downshift. At one point the truck wouldnt start and error msgs would pop up on the dash. It took him playing with the key and using the tranny keypad shifting back and forth between N, D and R until it finally free'd itself up. The troubles have been sporadic and no one thing would seem to trigger it.

After lots of reading and research I found him a deal for an XY switch through Weller Truck Parts that specializes in reman parts. Like most of us we dont have unlimited funds and cant just drop these things off at the dealer and wait... AND PAY! It took him longer to remove the seats and carpet to gain access to the removable plate in the floor.. It took me roughly 15 minutes to swap out the XY and re-calibrate it. (the first one was defective so I really dont include the trouble shooting we did) He (Ryan) will be test driving it tomorrow so I will update you once I have an update. This all went down this morning so we ran out of time before work to test drive it.

I will say that tech service at Eaton and Weller were top notch! Once it was swapped and calibrated the error codes went away and the truck started flawlessly each time.

kE2rFnSm.jpgqgOIfnWm.jpg

2204aX0m.jpg9tlTfyim.jpg

kd0PyeLm.jpg

Great info, thank you for the photos too. I wish I was closer to my truck every day and I could do a little every evening after work, but that's not possible. The good part is I could have access to a large shop with a smooth concrete floor over the weekends. Will start looking for an xyshifter today.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

It seems like there are two types of people who own these gentle giants. And, I am not denigrating either group. I am just making an observation. One group has the money to drop the truck off at the dealer and let the dealer fix the HDT. The other group, having limited funds, gets their hands dirty and repairs the gentle giants themselves, with the help of other forum members.

Both groups add information to this forum and I thank each of you for sharing your experience. I certainly have taken advantage of the postings from both groups.

Safe Travels.

It seems like there are two types of people who own these gentle giants. And, I am not denigrating either group. I am just making an observation. One group has the money to drop the truck off at the dealer and let the dealer fix the HDT. The other group, having limited funds, gets their hands dirty and repairs the gentle giants themselves, with the help of other forum members.

Both groups add information to this forum and I thank each of you for sharing your experience. I certainly have taken advantage of the postings from both groups.

Safe Travels.

Quite welcome Rod!

Refuzn:

I agree 110%! I am lucky enough to have the technical background to handle most anything... and with a few youtube videos and web pages to read, I am not afraid to tackle most jobs. I wish I had the funds to pay people to fix my crap, but I dont! :P

Just wanted to update... So he finally got to put some miles on the truck today. No issues and shifted great! He ran empty to just make sure everything was ok, but plans to drag the trailer around next weekend just to make sure its fixed.

For anyone with an Eaton/Cimmins ISX... do not be afraid to swap the XY yourself. It's a simple job that can be done in a few hours. The hardest part is removing the seats and the rubber floor mat

Just wanted to update... So he finally got to put some miles on the truck today. No issues and shifted great! He ran empty to just make sure everything was ok, but plans to drag the trailer around next weekend just to make sure its fixed.

For anyone with an Eaton/Cimmins ISX... do not be afraid to swap the XY yourself. It's a simple job that can be done in a few hours. The hardest part is removing the seats and the rubber floor mat

Thanks for the update. I ran out of time last Monday to call Eaton. As long as I don't lower the suspension the truck seems to always start. Cannot imagine how that is related, Tomorrow I will be loading the motorcycle into the truck, heading to my cousins shop and crawling around under the truck until I get through to Eaton.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived