Leveling Trailer using Airbags

So on another thread we went down a path of possibly using airbags or air shocks to level a travel trailer from side to side.

Looking under the trailer it appeared that a single airbag with an arm contacting both axles might be the way to go.

airbag-vi.jpg

Today a buddy of mine that builds hotrods stopped by and we were looking under the trailer. He suggested I simply remove the bracket that supports the center link on the two leaf springs and insert an airbag here:

DSC00099-vi.jpg

He suggested I'd need to install a panhard rod to stop the axles from shifting side to side

200px-Panhard_rod.svg.png

I believe a single panhard rod from the perch that will sit ontop of the center link with the airbag above would be sufficient.

Now I'm looking for input and comments from the engineer type folks on this forum. What say you?

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Americana RV offers an air suspension on their trailers that can be used for side to side leveling. I would look at what they have an how they do it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Interesting! They are also using the center link to apply air pressure. In this photo it looks like they still have leaf springs and also shock absorbers.

air_ride_4.jpg

Looks like simple control arms running at a 45 degree angle from the axle.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

You could use the air bags for leveling but what about the stability of the trailer? it still would shake and rock when you walk thru, or when the wind blows, I have a 32 foot Moho you can feel it move when walking thru or moving around etc. but not when the jacks are down, i think you would have to go to the ground for the stability unless that doesn't bother you. if you have scissor jacks i would try to use a drill to crank the jacks down faster,or rig hydraulics to the thing using salvage parts to keep costs down.

You could use the air bags for leveling but what about the stability of the trailer? it still would shake and rock when you walk thru, or when the wind blows, I have a 32 foot Moho you can feel it move when walking thru or moving around etc. but not when the jacks are down, i think you would have to go to the ground for the stability unless that doesn't bother you. if you have scissor jacks i would try to use a drill to crank the jacks down faster,or rig hydraulics to the thing using salvage parts to keep costs down.

That is the problem with air bags. Unless you inflate them against a stop, they remain "squishy". I suppose with enough weight it might not be a problem, but in most cases they are not going to be as stable as jacks.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

That is the problem with air bags. Unless you inflate them against a stop, they remain "squishy". I suppose with enough weight it might not be a problem, but in most cases they are not going to be as stable as jacks.

My point to him exactly, he might not care about the instability

I've used airbags in a number of vehicles. This ain't a party balloon we are talking about. With just 30psi they are hard as a rock. Very little air and lots of rubber in a 2500# airbag. And I would still be using my stabilizers to stop the giggle factor.

No airbags that are used in a suspension system are inflated against a hard stop. They still have vertical give as they are part of an active suspension. But very little in the horizontal plane.

Still not sure which way I'm going to go. Still need to do a bit more research on air-shocks as this might be easier still.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

i don't have a trailer, so having stabilizers and levelers seems redundant, is it the time to use the stabilizers the problem? or they don't support enough weight ? whats the benefit? i am not being sarcastic just want to know why both. iv'e seen some of your stuff and they are cool additions, this one(probably cuz i don't have a trailer) has me wondering why let me know

i don't have a trailer, so having stabilizers and levelers seems redundant, is it the time to use the stabilizers the problem?

I believe that the leveling being discusses is leveling once parked, for living in the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have an Americana Fifth wheel GS 34/35 with the air ride suspension. The suspension does help smothe out a rough road. But with that said, once we arrive in our site we level the rig from side to side with the air bags and then deploy the landing gear to stabilize the trailer. There are two air bags, right and left between the axles mounted on a framework with shocks. Keep in mind this came out before the automatic leveling systems like BigFoot. It is not an automatic system. We enjoy the ride of our fifth wheel with the air ride.

Jeanie and John

Ford F-250 super crew

Americana 34/35 GS (it's a Forest River Cardinal with extras)

I believe that the leveling being discusses is leveling once parked, for living in the RV.

Kirk i know that, it's for parking, why both? why add air bags, could he NOT level his RV before with just the stabilizers? how was the trailer leveled before adding air bags? if the stabilizers were used to level the rig before, why add the air bags WHY both? seems to me having air bags to level the rig then using the stabilizer is redundant what reason for adding bags

HOW WAS THE TRAILER LEVELED BEFORE ????

Kirk i know that, it's for parking, why both? why add air bags, could he NOT level his RV before with just the stabilizers? how was the trailer leveled before adding air bags? if the stabilizers were used to level the rig before, why add the air bags WHY both? seems to me having air bags to level the rig then using the stabilizer is redundant what reason for adding bags

HOW WAS THE TRAILER LEVELED BEFORE ????

Stabilizers have nothing to do with leveling. If a trailer only has stabilizer jacks, it mus first be leveled side to side with blocks under the tires (or in the case of the Amercana with the airbags) and then leveled front to back with the landing gear. Once the trailer is level, then the stabilizer jacks (usually in the rear, but some people will also add them just in front of the tires) are put down to make the trailer more stable. This was how all trailers were leveled out before the automatic leveling systems came into existence. Stabilizer jacks are not meant to lift, they are only meant to steady the trailer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Two weekends ago I damaged one of my stabilizer jacks by using it to level the trailer. I actually lifted one side of the trailers tires off the ground! After camping I tried to lower the jack and it was jammed. I had to pull the trailer off the jack to get free. Luckily my stabilizer jacks are not attached to the bottom of the trailer and are stored loose.

Stabilizer jacks are not designed to lift and level a multi thousand pound trailer.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

Just for reference, I level my MH on air bags and it is no more "squishy" than friends with the same size coach with hard jacks. But then, my coach is 43,000 lbs. and I have 10 air bags to support it...

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago, I spoke to the guy who made them, he may be out of business. The method used to make them is still around...probably on UTube.

I think you may be referring to RV Pillow. I talked to him. He had a patent and was VERY proud of his company. He was asking a price that I could not touch, although I was VERY interested in buying that business. I have made a few with the aluminum clamps(RV Pillow didnt use those) and they work OK. Amazing for lifting and supporting all kinds of things but not for stabilizing. Jiggle, jiggle. If the RV's rockin' dont be knockin'. Remember?? Lots of rockin with those unless fully inflated or up to a stop, as stated.

FYI- I will be installing a Big Foot system in a large 5er I am remodeling. They seem to have it figured out.

Marcel

So on another thread we went down a path of possibly using airbags or air shocks to level a travel trailer from side to side.
Looking under the trailer it appeared that a single airbag with an arm contacting both axles might be the way to go.
airbag-vi.jpg

Put the airbag under one axle. It will work just as well for leveling. No need for the crossbar and springs.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, I tested this with a screw jack under one axle and you are correct. Thanks for the suggestion. Still haven't decided if airbag or air shocks will be the way to go. For ease of install, airbags get the nod. But air shocks would also allow the trailer to ride nicer. Decisions,decisions...

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

Archived