Needed; Pneumatic dash control

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am in the need of a pneumatic dash control W/gauge. I thought I would check with the group before I go to Trailer Saver. I was not sure if someone had a gauge and control on their shelf not in use. I am working on the inside of my truck and the timing is right to install an air control and air lines before I start putting the insides back in the truck.

Is there any other ideas out there to control the height of the hitch ? If so, can someone post pictures and parts needed. That would be a big help.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I can get you a gauge. I don't know why you'd want to control it from the cab. $ 4.95 air regulator from Horrible Freight, adjust for height not pressure.

SIBERNUT,

I guess that is the only thing that I know. I am open for a new way to control the hitch. Is the air regulator mounted back by the hitch ?

Thanks for the idea,

Al

Alan,

If you are talking about TrailerSaver hitches, Rickeieio did just what GeorgiaHybrid described and there should be a thread with pictures showing that from fairly recently. But your truck, you do it the way you want it to be and sorry can't help you with a control :).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Why not just plumb a leveling valve onto your hitch, set the height you want it to stay at and run an airline to the leveling valve?

If you use a leveling valve to control the hitch, how do you get the air out of the hitch air bags if you need to lower the hitch ? Do you add a tee with a ball valve to let the air out ? I don't want to have my air tanks drain the air out of them. If I use a ball valve I can see the air tanks being drained of air also. I could be all wrong with my thinking. Please be patient with me. I know that these seem like dumb questions. I looked at the resource guide and could not find anything about leveling valves. Maybe I over looked something.

Al

Once you unhitch, the leveling valve will let a little air out until the hitch is level again and then seal it back airtight. When you hitch the trailer again, it will add air until it is level again. You don't need to do anything.

I am planning on replacing my leveling valve with one that has an air dump and use my pintle hook switch to dump the air if I need to work on the hitch itself but that is just a convenience for me and I happen to have the electric over air switch in the dash that I can use for that.

Just remember to use a slow acting valve for a leveling valve or it will be trying to add or dump air over every little bump in the road.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Once you unhitch, the leveling valve will let a little air out until the hitch is level again and then seal it back airtight. When you hitch the trailer again, it will add air until it is level again. You don't need to do anything.

I am planning on replacing my leveling valve with one that has an air dump and use my pintle hook switch to dump the air if I need to work on the hitch itself but that is just a convenience for me and I happen to have the electric over air switch in the dash that I can use for that.

Just remember to use a slow acting valve for a leveling valve or it will be trying to add or dump air over every little bump in the road.

Hi Dave,

Do you have any valve in mind ? Any possible name or part number ?

Al

If you use a leveling valve to control the hitch, how do you get the air out of the hitch air bags if you need to lower the hitch ? Do you add a tee with a ball valve to let the air out ? I don't want to have my air tanks drain the air out of them. If I use a ball valve I can see the air tanks being drained of air also. I could be all wrong with my thinking. Please be patient with me. I know that these seem like dumb questions. I looked at the resource guide and could not find anything about leveling valves. Maybe I over looked something.

You could do a "network" of valves: one to connect the hitch to leveling valve air, one to connect the hitch to regulator-fed 100psi air (to raise the trailer briefly to get all weight off the legs to crank them up), one to connect the hitch to ambient air (to drop the hitch for hitching, or to put weight onto the legs for unhitching). Those could be ball valves for manual control, or electric solenoid valves for remote control. Just make a personal practice to only open one valve at a time...

A cab leveling size valve would be plenty for the Trailersaver hitch.

Some thoughts on how to plumb it-

On the older trucks, there is air plumbed behind the dash for the air slider commercial hitch, rear air bags, etc.

I've thought about using air slider switch to control the leveling valve. Switch in normal position- valve has air and does its job. Open (Closed?) position air dumps from the valve dropping the hitch air bags.

On our old '98, I have the old axle interlock switch which is an air control switch as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Alan,

A question you don't have an answer for is not a dumb question, so no apologies are needed. Here is a pic of Rick's leveling valve on the TrailerSaver.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Yup, that's the "before" picture. As shown, the action of the hitch will over extend the lever/rod, and when it comes back to center, it will bend said lever. The fix was to double the length of the arm in the photo, and it's worked well since.

The way mine is configured, you must bleed air off to unhitch, lest the hitch extends as you clear the front of the trailer. Bad scratches follow. It will be tweaked over the winter.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

You can use a leveling valve with a dump feature, I used the feed for the sliding fifth wheel to trigger dump so just flip air slide switch in cab and down she goes other wise stays at preset height no matter how much weight is on it

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

A cab leveling size valve would be plenty for the Trailersaver hitch.

Some thoughts on how to plumb it-

On the older trucks, there is air plumbed behind the dash for the air slider commercial hitch, rear air bags, etc.

I've thought about using air slider switch to control the leveling valve. Switch in normal position- valve has air and does its job. Open (Closed?) position air dumps from the valve dropping the hitch air bags.

On our old '98, I have the old axle interlock switch which is an air control switch as well.

The truck does not have a switch on the dash for an air slider hitch. That sounds like the way to go, if you had that switch.

Is anyone using a cab leveling valve to control the air hitch ? Any part numbers for this leveling valve ? Any idea on cost ?

What do most of the folks here on the forum use to control their air hitch ?

People with ET hitches, what controls your air to your hitch ?

Al

Al-

The pic of Ric's set-up is a cab leveling valve.

What Bob A described was what I was trying to describe, I just did it badly.

I do know that the ET's use a leveling valve the same style as the cab. I think from a previous thread that Henry buys the model as what is on the Gen 2 Volvo trucks. As far as air supply for them, I don't know.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

You could do a "network" of valves:

You can do all you want with one 5 port/3 position valve. Google pneumatic valve symbols. I work with pneumatics all day so trust me, it's not as intimidating as its first appears. You'll be glad you took the time to learn.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

You can do all you want with one 5 port/3 position valve. Google pneumatic valve symbols. I work with pneumatics all day so trust me, it's not as intimidating as its first appears. You'll be glad you took the time to learn.

Hi Stekay,

I will give Google a try. I have a feeling after my search, I will have more questions later.

Al

Hi Everyone,

I have done some reading about pneumatic valve symbols. Talking about being confused, I am starting to go in over load. I have a question for the people that have ET hitches. We all know that Henry has done his home work about leveling valves. What leveling valve do you have on your ET hitch ? Do you have a model number ? This information would be a big help. Why not copy what the best have controlling the level of there hitch. What is that old saying about copying something. It is the best sign of flattery.

Thank you for any help,

Al

Al,

Just PM Henry. Don't think he would mind answering.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

This little valve is what I am using.

DACP P/N K864010 Dump Valve Only N/C (release pressure to dump) Silver Body.

Haldex P/N 90554902

Here is the link to it. http://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/shopexd.asp?id=228

I have my hitch leveling valve hooked up to the factory hitch slide switch for air supply, when I shut it off the hitch air is dumped and if I want to I dump the rear bags also before I drop the trailer, keeps everything at the lowest position.

One switch does it all.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived