Anybody have Corian sinks?

We do, and any time we try to wash an aluminum pan or whatever, it leaves marks on the sink. Then we have to clean off the marks, etc. I'm about ready to cut the sucker off the bottom of the counter & put in stainless. Any help / tips / solutions welcome. Eating out all the time is not an option...................

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Yes, I don't like Corian. You just look at it and it scratches. I think it's just to look at, not to use.

My counters are all scratched up. I guess if I ever sell my RV, I'll have to polish it all out first.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I use a nice collapsible dish pan. The upside is that I can keep a screen on the drain so that food particle's don't get in the gray tank. Also when we dry camp I can dump the dish water in the black tank

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Also depending on your rig it made " solid surface" that looks like Corian but really isn't. Our is 16 years old and all of our surfaces are still very nice. To get rid of coffee and tea stain I just fill it with water and dump in a big glug of peroxide and let it sit over night.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We replaced a stainless sink with a Corian one. We didn't like the stainless sink because of the work to keep it presentable. We do have plastic protector grids at the bottoms and we have no issue with any marks.

The thing with stainless is that there is stainless and there is stainless. Working in designer hardware store (high end door a handle, faucets and sinks for example) I learned that low end stainless sinks are some of the cheapest style of sink you can purchase. That is why they are so prevalent in RVs. They are hard to keep the shine and are subject to scratching. The high end stainless sink is costs a whole lot more and is more scratch resistant and doesn't require as much maintenance to keep the shine.

The thing is that most RVs use a mobile home sized sink, they are a couple of inches shallower front to back. High end stainless sinks are seldom available in mobile home sizes.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

You can remove scratches from solid surface counters using this inexpensive set of polishing pads: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033REUBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They work well and can be used either dry or wet. You can remove some pretty serious scratches with this set if you need to.

As for stains, my wife fills the sink with a mild bleach solution when she cleans the kitchen and that removes all the stains without effort.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We have a white Corian sink. Dale (from Mark and Dale) told me about Clorox kitchen counter cleaner with bleach. Give the sink a quick spray and wait a few minutes, then rinse. I do this several times a week and our sink looks great. Does magic on food stains. We don't really have issues with marks from pots and pans. We also have a plastic sink protector mat in the bottom of the sink. ~ Susan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

We have a black sink, some kind of substance similar to Corian, in our S&B and do at times get marks from pot and pans in it. We use Bar Keepers Friend and the marks come right off with hardly any scrubbing. We also use it in the RV for the stainless sink. I makes it look like new!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I used to fabricate Corian and other solid surface materials. A palm sander with holes in the pad hooked up to a shop vac on flat surfaces. The dust is bad stuff to inhale. Use progressively finer grits getting down to 1000 grit.

1000 grit dry will leave a more dull or matt finish than same grit with water.

A power polisher would work in the radiused corners if it will fit in the sink at all.

It is the same substance all the way thru not like the cultured marble material years ago. So you won't sand thru the top layer and run into a porous substrate below.

If you have chips that need filling the code # and name of the color or pattern are on the underside.

The great thing about redoing the tops are if you make it too shiny, back up one step. Not shiny enough, go to next grit up or use water.

I would say it is a 1 out of 5 on the Binford difficulty level.

Corian is made by Dupont, all of these similar products have the same issues and can be dealt with in the same fashion. All scratch and chip and all can be repaired if the epoxy is available. Some go out of date and epoxy and sheet material or edging is no longer available.

Most people on this forum have tool skills and probably job sense so there would be a transfer of those skills to do repairs to solid surface tops.

We, too, have the Corian sink and whiten it with Clorox as suggested above. For any marks from pan, etc., I use Bon Ami cleanser because it does not scratch surfaces. You have to get it at Target. Works great and is good for other delicate surfaces as well.

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/construction-materials/surface-design-materials/brands/corian-solid-surfaces/products/corian-sinks.html

Instead of bashing a good product and asking and getting answers from some who are less than qualified to answer why not contact Dupont directly?

Your info says you are based out of Maryland, I googled up a number of Corian providers in your state. Call THEM, get it sorted out and post the results good or bad without embellishing either.

I have manufactured, used and serviced Corian and other solid surface products and have no issues with any of them. Fabrication is restricted only by ones imagination. If there is a hole or chip, fill it, if there is a scratch, sand and polish it. If there is a crack, you may be able to rout the crack out and fill then sand the void. Try that with an obsolete tile/grout, wood veneer or laminate top.

If you are still unsatisfied get the sink cut out and under mount or top mount a composite or SS sink. If you can get one to fit.

If there are things I don't like about my rig, I replace them and move on.

I agree 100%. But if in my stinkin' ignorance someone knows how to stop the problem, I'd rather find out than do surgery. Tried the rag in the bottom, that works. But heaven help you if you so much as touch the side with anything but glass (I guess). And I trust the answers from this group over a vendor.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I found that the expensive cleaners designated for Corian didn't work for me. I don't know if this works for deep scratches, but it works great for removing stains in about 20 minutes. Go to Home Depot's cleaning product section and find the industrial (commercial) liquid bleach. It works great, just be careful with it to avoid getting it on anything else in the area. I use rubber gloves and a small sponge to apply it carefully. Its amazing.... and cheap.

Archived