One and a half bath layouts

spindrift

For those of you that have them, where the half bath is located near to or in, the public space, do you ever have those embarrassing moments where someone "uses" the bathroom and it doesn't quite air out completely? I think you know what I mean.... Between that most uncomfortable situation and the corresponding loss of storage area, I'm wondering if there's real value in having one.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Does the RV have a window? fan? a can of air freshener in a prominent place?

We full-timed 16 years with only one bath and had no problems. I guess I don't understand the need for more with only two people.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Does the RV have a window? fan? a can of air freshener in a prominent place?

We full-timed 16 years with only one bath and had no problems. I guess I don't understand the need for more with only two people.

Well, that's exactly my point. Even if you have folks visiting, you can always direct them to the main bathroom. I don't personally see a need for an additional potty, but some do, and I'm just wondering out loud if the folks that have 11/2 baths still believe it was a good decision.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

In my case it was a good decision, our half bath is in the toy hauler garage area where there are 2 queen beds, we have family and friends come and stay all the time, works well.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

We had eight people living in our RV, and the necessary (for us) half bath was in the toy hauler portion (aka, bunk room) of the RV. It had a Fantastic Fan on the ceiling of the half bath, so there was no problem.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Tom, as you may recall we have the bath and a half in our current rig and really love it. Our summer house has two bathrooms and we like that arrangement. When we go to Texas for the winter in the rig it is nice to have the extra potty as far as we are concerned. Guests have not been a problem nor odors, the vent fan in both potties work fairly well. One point that needs to be mentioned is the use of macerator commodes. The front commode is in the front of the rig and the black tank is midship so with conventional plumbing drainage and blockages might become an issue. With the macerator commodes everything is pulverized and drains easily through the 1 1/2" pipe. What type of TP one uses is no longer a consideration, the macerator grinds it all up. After two years we are very happy with the bath and a half and the macerator commodes. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Been full time for 3 years and RVing since 1984, and never had a reason to have a 1/2 bath. I would rather use that area for storage space.

As for odors, close the door, open the vent and run the fan. Stop the fan, flush and run the fan some more.

The 1/2 bath could be great for a family with kids, but for me and the wife, I don't need one.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...

Bath and a half, toyhauler for us. Seemed like a good option for friends & family visitors. Found out I probably use the 1/2 bath for doing the duty more often than the front bath. It may be that ours is a front bath model so the full bath is a little further from the living room.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Like Todd we feel the 1/2 bath is very handy. It is right inside the door on our Mobile Suite and contains the washer and dryer. We too use it more often than the front full bath. it is very handy when outside. With a Fantastic Fan odor is not a problem. Probably boils down to what ever floats your boat.

Been in our unit for only 6 days, but am already liking the extra 1/2 bath. Especially when nature calls and someone is occupying the other bath! I believe you don't have to shut the exhaust fan off while flushing because of the macerator toilet.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived