We still have a CB with weather band. 90% of the time it is used as a weather radio. I keep it on with the volume down so it will beep for weather alerts. Occasionally we will use it to get info on a traffic jam or road conditions.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

About the same as Dennis, we used FRS radios for parking and convoys.

If you get a CB with weather radio make sure you can shut it off! Getting the first warning is great but that alert buzzer gets old fast. On ours we had the usual power line run from the ignition and a "memory" line run from the battery, the weather radio ran from the memory line and until we added a switch finding and removing the fuse was the only way to stop getting our ears blasted.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

we have one is but another tool that can make your driving experience safer.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We carry one with a magnetic mount antenna and if is wrapped in a towel under the back seat. The last time it was set up and used was about 2001. I do not know if it even still works. I guess I need to get it out and try it or stop hauling it around.

I stopped using it because of all of the foul mouthed truckers complaining about the 4-wheelers and RV on THEIR roads.

Got my ham license and use it when I want to talk to some one and FRS when backing the rig.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

As stated above, a CB can be a tool for some and a nuisance for others. If you are not accustom to using a CB, it will probably fall into the nuisance category. That being said, I have always used a CB and usually every trip it will provide me info about a road hazard ahead. Many times I have been able to put on the 4 way flashers and start slowing down before I get to a backup on the x-way which otherwise could have been a panic stop. I rarely hear any foul talk and if so, I just turn it off for the next 10 miles.

Greg

I only use mine when their is a traffic back up. This summer ran into one on I75N.

Turned CB on and the local CB users recommended to get off at the upcoming exit that I was only about a mile from.

Only problem I had, was it took me around one hour to get to that off ramp.

After that it was easy to use my GPS and go North to the 2nd I75 entrance where their was no traffic coming from the south.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Thank you for these helpful replies. I had one in the first Class B I owned but we didn't use it. I keep forgetting we will be driving the "family car" and not the Class B. I think that's because I've been working on the B and have not mentally replaced it. Not sure where I would put a CB in a little Xterra. I used to listen to truckers on long drives but they were not very entertaining. I liked the idea of an emergency but since I wasn't trained on it I probably wasn't suppose to be on it any way.

We stopped using our CB quite a few years ago due to the language the truckers use constantly and the fact that in our first 5 years on the road, we only twice were able to get a response from RVs that we met on the road. Today we use FRS radios if we travel with someone or cell phones to communicate. If traffic gets slow, we either enjoy the scenery or we pull off at the nearest exit and find something to entertain ourselves while we wait for the problem to clear up.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

FRS = Family Radio Service. This is the current crop of walkie-talkies you get at Walmart and such

Some of the radios also cover the GMRS channels which technically require a FCC license to operate.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

Ranges on the radios are no where near the advertised range. They are strictly line of sight and out in the open, maybe 2 or 3 miles.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

As stated above, a CB can be a tool for some and a nuisance for others. If you are not accustom to using a CB, it will probably fall into the nuisance category. That being said, I have always used a CB and usually every trip it will provide me info about a road hazard ahead. Many times I have been able to put on the 4 way flashers and start slowing down before I get to a backup on the x-way which otherwise could have been a panic stop. I rarely hear any foul talk and if so, I just turn it off for the next 10 miles.

Greg

Ditto! I'm always listening to mine while driving. I use an ear bud most of the time. There is no alternative to instant communication with another vehicle in an emergency. Ham band is great for some things, but it's not widespread enough to be useful in those situations where you are informed of an emergency situation ahead. Cell phones are at the bottom of this instant communication category.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived