passed driving test

GlennWest

Parallel park with just the truck or with the trailer?

I actually got pretty decent parallel parking when we were with the oil rigs. All of our spots were raised pads about 75' long and 25' wide. As long as the rear trailer wheels stayed on the pad it was easy. After a hard rain and the caliche mud was slick, sliding the trailer off the pad was not fun....

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Truck and trailer. Little surprised since I was told different by others that have taken test in Livingston.

That is the first I have heard of anyone ever having to parallel park in Livingston. I've heard of having to back up in a straight line for 100'....but never parallel parking. I wonder if that is now a standard part of what Livingston is testing. Anyone else encountered this??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I would not call it parallel parking but it was more than back up in a straight line 100' when I got my "A" in Collin County back in 2010. With the left wheels on the center line I had to back up (truck & trailer) and get close to the curb. I was still 3' or more from the curb when told I had passed the parallel park. I was not satisfied but smart enough not to argue.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

His words was parnell parking. We were on a side road. No traffic. Had to pull to wrong side of road. Back up to proper side close to edge, no curb. I got a little crooked but he passed me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

They may call that parallel parking, but I sure would not. Parallel parking has a defined amount of space you have to fit in - and barriers front/back. So the test in Livingston should be pretty easy.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When I studied for my CDL, "the book" from the state (PA at the time) detailed the seven possible maneuvers we might get asked to do. No idea if today's training manuals still list those seven, a different list, or don't put any boundaries on it whatsoever, but if the book lists them, you ought to have studied/practiced before you got there.

As a side note, I'll tell the story of me having to take my CDL test twice, in the same state, both passed, without ever surrendering it or having it revoked. At the time (early 1990s), PA had too many license test candidates and not enough inspectors, so they certified certain third-party companies to give the test. I used this as my way to arrive at the testing site without a truck of "my own" or a licensed driver in the front seat. The place did charge $100 to take the test there, and another $100 to use a truck off their lot, but it allowed me to cross something off my bucket list (since I was a kid), so I did it. Walk-around vehicle inspection, "drive up the street" to an open lot for some maneuvers (right-hand turn around a cone, back into a fake dock, serpentine through three cones in reverse), drive back to the lot where we started, and drop the trailer. The truck had 925k miles on it and a wicked air leak, enough that the buzzer came on as I was starting the serpentine, so I had to feather the clutch while keeping the engine above idle. The actual "on the road" driving was definitely thin, and the whole test went faster than I predicted, but I walked out with a PASSED stamp on my permit.

Come to find out later, if you put a third $100 on the counter, your license got PASSED on the spot. I got a letter a few years later, Express Mail signature required, saying they'd done an investigation and uncovered the fraud, so everyone had to retest WITHIN TWO WEEKS. Thankfully they had some trucks on the lot to use, so I didn't have to scramble to get something to drive, and even though I got quizzed on the actual height of the bridge I'd driven under (I thought it was 13'10", but knew that it was taller than the standard 13'6" and "my" truck was 12'9" so I didn't bother memorizing the height) and got dinged for relying almost completely on the jake brake on the big downhill, I passed, though the guy in front of me failed (mostly due to a French vs. English language barrier...) I don't remember what maneuvers I did that day...

Did mine in California three years go. You must be prepared to demonstrate six different "skills". You are only actually tested on three, but you don't know which three of the six you will be asked to demonstrate. One of the six is parallel parking and it can be from the driver side or the passenger side. Both the tractor and trailer have to inside the designated space.

Tom and Sandy

1999 International 9400

2012 Mobile Suites 38RESB3

2013 Smart4two Passion

2003 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

USN RET

Archived