No Backum Up Gear

adept99

Last Monday our Volvo 770 Autoshift decided it was not going to function properly. Would not stay in reverse. Would go in, show me a bunch of arrows on the gear selector, and then maybe engage...or not. By the end of the day, it would not engage at all. Forward works fine, upshift / downshift work fine, just no reverse. Whipping around town trying to find a campground knowing you can't back out does bring the focus level up a few notches.

Because of my history with this truck, I was fairly confident that the issue was most likely some sort of sensor issue. That said, it could have just as easily been the syncro set. Point was, I was not likely to be able to diagnose it myself laying on a bed of nasty sharp little rocks in 95 degree heat.

So down the road to the Volvo dealer - 4 miles. 2 shop shifts later, they determined that the switch, plug, and small wiring harness that control the reverse circuit could not be repaired in the shop - plug and pins just to worn out. Sssooooooo....they have asked for permission to replace all those parts. About 6 hours labor, plus a little time for diagnostics. Wow.....

We used to have a saying that if you weren't having enough fun, you weren't spending enough money. Near as I can tell, so far on this trip we ought to be drowning in fun...

Whooopeee

Paul & Paula

P.S. There isn't really any way to PM this thing, or to do anything other than wait for it to give out.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Ain't it fun when things go bad? But so far, nobody's lost any blood. Hopefully Paula's taking all well. She and Susan can compare stories and receipts.

Climb on your scoots and enjoy the scenery.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Damn, Paul. That really sucks, but at least you have a positive attitude. Yell at me on your way back by. Dinner is on me next time :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

It sounds like the rev ball switch. Located on too of tranny. Mine failed a year ago. It did throw a code though.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Wow! Paul and Bill and I have the twin trucks!!!! I guess I'd better get ready!!!!!!!

Of course I don't have a trailer to back into for hitching now (got towed away yesterday), but I may need to back the truck somewhere, sometime!

Shouldn't that be triplet trucks??

10809054906_5ee17f1f33_zpsmgdhuc8m.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

Sorry to hear of your troubles. At least you will be able to get back on the road soon. Hit me up when you get closer. We have had a couple of mishaps on our trip as well, but nothing like you. Hopefully the rest of your (and our) trip is without issue.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It may not be gold, but the sun will shine on you again soon, Rocky. It's not all gloom.

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived