Less than 200 miles on new tires...FLAT!

Just put four new tires on the trailer a few days ago. Less than 200 miles on them. Going down the road my TPM starts howling........UGH!

TireFlat2-vi.jpg

TireFlat1-vi.jpg

Hard to believe a stick could puncture a 6 ply tire!

Put on the spare and found a nearby tire dealer and replaced the spare.....$110....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

A number of years ago I did not even get 20 miles on new tires on the P/U before having one ruined by road debris on the interstate.

Had about 1000. miles on new trailer tire that blew and turned into a weed wacker that ate through the flooring in the closet. sometimes I am just the luckiest guy. Now you are in the "club". :)

It looks like you are using a rubber valve stem with a TPMS. Trust me, you MUST use a solid metal valve stem. I had the so called high pressure rubber/metal stems and yes they worked for a year or so, then going south on Hwy77 last winter a stem failed. This is in the section of highway where there are no services for about 70 miles.

Not only do you need to replace stems, I would trade those ST tires in for a decent LT tire.

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

Maybe it would have better to have put LTs load range E on the trailer?

...I would trade those ST tires in for a decent LT tire...

The OP states that the tire was 6 ply. To me that implies that the tires are Load Range C and very likely 14" or 15" rims. There are very few 14" and 15" LT tires and none that I have ever found that have the load capacity required for most travel trailers. There have been several recommendations in previous discussions for high load range rated tires. However; their width, diameter and availability of rims with the proper lug net pattern precludes their use without serious modification of most trailers. Likewise, switching to larger rims is not always possible without modifying the trailer. If either of you know of 14" or 15" LT tires that will actually fit a trailer (i.e. similar width and diameter) and are also rated for the load, that information would be greatly appreciated.

I also am not so sure that LT tires are the solution to sidewall or tread punctures. Information regarding the increased puncture resistance of LT versus ST tires would be greatly appreciated.

Hard luck, that is non-repairable. Hopefully you got a road hazard warranty with the new tires.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Go with a g rated, I know they cost more butthe peace of mind is great.

If you look at the picture there are five lug rims on the trailer meaning the largest tire you are going to find on it is probably a 205/75R15. There are no G rated tires in that size. If the rims could handle the pressure (doubtful) the heaviest tire that would fit the rim is a 225/75R15 load range E.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

...There are no G rated tires in that size...

That doesn't seem to matter. Just about every post about smaller trailer tires gets responses to switch to LT tires or high load rated tires that simply don't exist. When asked to provide specific information about such tires (manufacturer,size, etc.), the posters rarely ever respond and when they do they rarely supply any relevant information about an actual tire that will work without modification of the trailer.

15" tires are available in load ranges F,G, and H. https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&manufacturer=Sigma&tirename=Power+King+LPT+Trailer+Tires&season=

However, they are of no use unless you buy rims to match tire capacity.

I got tires of having 16" ST tire problems on our 5er and switched from LR E, to LR G Sailun all-position truck tires.Totally eliminated further tire problems.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks for all the advice folks. This trailer came with 14" wheels and tires from the factory, even though the decal on the side listing specifications called out it having 15" w&ts. So I switched from load range c to load rang d. 14" to 15". From four ply to 6 ply. Seemed like a quantum leap upgrade.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

15" tires are available in load ranges F,G, and H. https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&manufacturer=Sigma&tirename=Power+King+LPT+Trailer+Tires&season=

However, they are of no use unless you buy rims to match tire capacity.

I got tires of having 16" ST tire problems on our 5er and switched from LR E, to LR G Sailun all-position truck tires.Totally eliminated further tire problems.

You have made this recommendation before and yes there are high load range 15" tires. They are designed for large commercial trailers. The website that you link to does not seem to have the specifications showing the width and diameter of the tires, but from what I could find in past research, the dimensions are very unlikely to fit on a travel trailer originally equipped with 14" or 15" tires without modifying the wheel wells, jacking up the trailer, and replacing the hubs. I seriously doubt the 9&10" will fit because of width and from what I remember from the previous research all including the 7.50" are substantially larger in diameter. I also was unable to find 5 lug nut rims that were rated for the pressure required for F, G, & H. What you did with 16" tires has little relevance to what can be done with 14" or 15" tires because, to the best of my knowledge, the products are not available . So, do you have information about the tire dimensions i.e. width and diameter and a source of 5 lug rims of the proper width rated for the high pressure required?

You have made this recommendation before and yes there are high load range 15" tires. They are designed for large commercial trailers. The website that you link to does not seem to have the specifications showing the width and diameter of the tires, but from what I could find in past research, the dimensions are very unlikely to fit on a travel trailer originally equipped with 14" or 15" tires without modifying the wheel wells, jacking up the trailer, and replacing the hubs. I seriously doubt the 9&10" will fit because of width and from what I remember from the previous research all including the 7.50" are substantially larger in diameter. I also was unable to find 5 lug nut rims that were rated for the pressure required for F, G, & H. What you did with 16" tires has little relevance to what can be done with 14" or 15" tires because, to the best of my knowledge, the products are not available . So, do you have information about the tire dimensions i.e. width and diameter and a source of 5 lug rims of the proper width rated for the high pressure required?

For your edification: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.html

Thanks for the link, If I am reading the chart correctly not all of the tire sizes from your first post; 7.5-15, 8.25-15, 9.00-15, 10.00-15; are listed or the compatibility line is blank so I don't see how it really answers my question about size (i.e. width and diameter). Then there is still the issue of 5 lug wheels that are properly rated for the pressures.

The LPT 15" tires mentioned above are designed for transporting Mobile homes, construction equipment (low boy) trailer use and are speed rated for 50 mph.

Probably not the best tire option for RV use considering the limitations.

Specs for these tires can be found here.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

The LPT 15" tires mentioned above are designed for transporting Mobile homes, construction equipment (low boy) trailer use and are speed rated for 50 mph.

Probably not the best tire option for RV use considering the limitations.

Specs for these tires can be found here.

I have never seen the speed rating, do you have a link for this?

I have never seen the speed rating, do you have a link for this?

If you look at the specs that Trey linked to I believe the 5th column (Speed Sym) is the speed rating. It says F, which is 50MPH. I believe the tires that he linked to are 14.5" not 15",

Finding the specs for these tires is not easy. Even the Sigma website does not show them for all the sizes that were in the advertisement you linked to. I could only find the specs for the 9.00-15. They are 11" wide and 37" in diameter.

There are apparently several manufacturers that use the name Power King. I did find this specification chart for the sizes you mention. The widths range from 9.3 - 11.4" and the diameters are 32.8 - 36.3". They are L speed rated which I believe is 75MPH.

An ST225/75R/15 is 28.3" in diameter. I seriously doubt that many trailers have room for tires 4" or more larger in diameter. Contrary to popular belief that all ST trailer tires are all speed rated at 65MPH, Kumho has some that are Q speed rated (100 MPH) and Carlisle has some that are M & N rated (81 & 87 MPH).

Thank you for finding the 15" tires specs for these models and unique tire sizes. (ideally it is best to find the distributor/manufacturers numbers and not a dealer but when they are not there, yet...) This model (LPTII) is most likely a new model added to the Power King Line and not added to the Power King website, yet.

The statement above about ST tire speed rating is good and correct. To clarify - unless indicated by the manufacturer or stated on the service description on the tire, ST tires are speed rated at 65 mph. The service description is a one or two 3 digit number(s) indicating the load index (single/dual) followed by the Speed rating letter code. e.g. 120/118J or 120J. Tire Speed rating is important to know.

Moreover, the importance of proper wheel position weighing (aka corner weighing or individual wheel weighing) cannot be overstated to make sure the actual loads (and frequently unbalanced) are not exceeding the capacity of each tire. (as well as other benefits)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Archived