Air brakes not releasing on drive axle consistently

tyates007

Since I have moved to Washington state it seems that my brakes get stuck a lot more than normal. If the truck sits more than a few days when I release the brakes I will have at least one that will not release. It is not a consistent tire or wheel. If it is in the front axle I just lock in the power divider and it will usually free up. If on rear axle not so easy. Earlier last week I could not get it to free up even with a hammer. I finally rocked it loose. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening and or break them loose when it happens? Thanks, Tom

Thin plastic cutting boards. Park, chock wheels, release parking brake, insert plastic, re-apply brakes. Reverse to drive away.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I had the same problem and found that I relied to much on my engine brake, you need to put your brakes to work, remember these trucks are used to pull trailers that are loaded to 88,000 lbs or more, when you are pulling a trailer which only weights 17000 and you rely on your engine brakes, your brake pads become "mushy" you need to get these brake pads hot in order for them not to stick to your drums! Run without your engine brake and don't worry of using your foot brakes, you will find that they will not stick to the drums that way!

Hope this helps

I had the same problem and found that I relied to much on my engine brake, you need to put your brakes to work, remember these trucks are used to pull trailers that are loaded to 88,000 lbs or more, when you are pulling a trailer which only weights 17000 and you rely on your engine brakes, your brake pads become "mushy" you need to get these brake pads hot in order for them not to stick to your drums! Run without your engine brake and don't worry of using your foot brakes, you will find that they will not stick to the drums that way!

Hope this helps

That's very true. also being up there in Washington State where it rains a lot doesn't help the matter any at all Not enough heat generated to get rid of the moisture so they just rust in place. Takes a lot of movement and braking to get rid of the rust, do it just builds up. My guess is it may not be a daily driver, but only gets out for short distances when it does go out. Am I close?? You could do one of a couple thing. Drive it every day or only drive it when you really have too and then make it a half day trip.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

When you park you can chock the wheels then release the brakes, they will stay released till air drops to about 60 psi, sometimes this helps, other way is chock wheels and cage brakes if parked for an extended period.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Thanks for all the replies. Rod is right. I do not use daily and except for road trips 5-6 times a year most of the movement is short distance. I will look at inserting the plastic in between the drum and pad. That may be my simplest option when it sits. There is never an issue when I am on the road so I'm sure that I just don't get the moisture out on the short movements, most of them in the rain it seems.

Thanks for all the replies. Rod is right. I do not use daily and except for road trips 5-6 times a year most of the movement is short distance. I will look at inserting the plastic in between the drum and pad. That may be my simplest option when it sits. There is never an issue when I am on the road so I'm sure that I just don't get the moisture out on the short movements, most of them in the rain it seems.

We got a set of these plastic cutting mats at the Everett Mall Bed Bath & Beyond. They bend very easily, but they might be wide enough to stick out enough that they'd be easy to hang on to for easy removal...

m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/4-piece-flexible-cutting-mat-set/1013615004

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Another thing that can contribute to a brake sticking may be the lack of proper lubricant in the pivot bearings. Many trucks do not have a grease fitting on the actuator rod bearings and once they go dry, may rust up enough to make it too hard to release it. This was a problem even back in the late 1990s well into the 2000s. When my mechanic discovered this problem on mine and just shot a bit of grease into each rod bearing area my intermittent sticking completely stopped. Yes, the pads can be some of the cause but if just moving the truck a few inches does not free a stuck brake then it is not sticking to the drum but rust is binding up the bearings.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I had the pins that hold the pushrod to the slack adjuster rust and not allow for the movement of the pushrod.

I would think with the moist air and setting you might find that as a problem.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

Archived