Caulking

Want to reseal motorhome roof. The roof is fiberglass. Is Dicor self leveling the product of choice? I used it on a previous rig with an EPDM roof, but is there a better choice for fiberglass?

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

Yes dicor self leveling is the way to go. They also have a faster setting in case you are on a curve and don't want to have it run down the side of the rig.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Any idea why self leveling caulk shouldn't be used on skylights????

In their article in the latest Escapees Magazine: RV Roof Maintenance, DIY — Lap Sealant for Fiberglass

• Final Thoughts - It is important to not use this self-leveling lap sealant on vertical surfaces as it only works on horizontal surfaces. Also, don’t use it on skylights.

I don't use caulk on the roof anymore , except to fill a void left from cleaning the OEM stuff out . After that , I apply 'roof repair' tape ( like eterna bond ) .

I did most of the vents and the shower sky light about 5 years ago , and maybe a year later , the rest . I haven't regretted it for a second .

I do use caulk on vertical seams and some of that has to be redone , every so often .

Goes around , comes around .

Any idea why self leveling caulk shouldn't be used on skylights???? In their article in the latest Escapees Magazine: RV Roof Maintenance, DIY — Lap Sealant for Fiberglass

I can't think of any reason and its interesting that the author doesn't support his opinion on this. While I've not owned an RV with a fiberglass roof, I have used self-leveling caulk on skylights on both metal and EDPM roofs and the same is true of RV manufacturers and repair shops.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Probably because the manufacturer list Naptha as an ingredient. Pretty good chance of softening any plastics it comes into contact with.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Any idea why self leveling caulk shouldn't be used on skylights???? In their article in the latest Escapees Magazine: RV Roof Maintenance, DIY — Lap Sealant for Fiberglass
  • Final Thoughts - It is important to not use this self-leveling lap sealant on vertical surfaces as it only works on horizontal surfaces. Also, don’t use it on skylights.

Our Winnebago has Dicor self-leveling all around the skylight in the shower.Came from the factory that way, and is still holding strong.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I use "DYCO" product. Metal roof /alumina edge. Works good for me the last 16 years. Done touch up twice, on top of old. Comes white or silver. It is DYCO C-10 Flow seal, #29401 01011 (white) comes in cocking tubes. OU812

Archived