Texas Lemon Law for 5th Wheel with recurrent delamination

txdslshop

First, I am definitely not the type of person to want to be involved in litigation or start drama. But, i have been without my 2015 Open Range 5th wheel for over 60 days in the first year or so of owning it. It has had both fiberglass side walls replaced in Indiana at the factory due to problems with the siding coming lose and cause big bubbles in the siding where it is no longer stuck. After a thourough wash job this week, I have found that we are once again faced with the same problem. There are several large spots where the fiberglass has once again pulled away as well as a yellowed spot where the glue or something has bled through the fiberglass. I am sooo over all of this and I want this thing gone. How many times can they take all the screws and trim off and replace and expect things to stay tight? Someone please share some info or maybe point me in the right direction. Jeremy

First of all, be warned that it's an uphill battle, though possibly less so with an RV manufacturer without a legal team that's regularly doing this stuff.

Here are a few links that might be of use (all Steve Lehto, who's an excellent resource on the subject):

Don't Buy an RV!

Lemon Law Basics (video)

What you get when you win a lemon law case

Lemon Law Bible

And perhaps most importantly: http://lehtoslaw.com/ -- how to contact him, templates for various notices, etc. He'll be more than willing to go over things with you.

Steve also happens to have a couple of really good books (well, probably more than a couple). The turbine book is excellent, and I'm waiting for the one on Preston Tucker:

Chrysler's Turbine Car

Preston Tucker and his Battle to Build the Car of Tomorrow

Hope you get it figured out!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Thank you for that. I am certainly not excited about the thought of having to deal with all of this. But, I am even less interested in keeping a camper that may or may not be resellable at any point. How do I trade it in or sell knowing the issues it continues to have? Thanks again. I will be doing my research. Jeremy

Here's a link to a thread that has some discussion of TX Lemon Laws <http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=109509> If you google "TX lemon law for RV" you'll also come up with some other information that may get you started. It might be best to consult an attorney experienced in this sort of problem to find out what you would be up against. Initial consultations are often free.

Judy LeMosy

2007 New Horizons Summit 38' / 2001 610 Volvo with Smart Car on bed

Unfortunately you are not the only HDTer with an open range that has had this problem The guy does seem to stand behind repairing the problem from what I have seen. I would be thinking more along the line of letting him fix it and then trade it in. A friend of mine went through the Texas Lemon Law w/a motor home and it took a couple of years and lots of persistence.

Good luck

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Thanks. It went back to Open Range a couple months ago and had both sides replaced. It has been back a couple months and is doing the same thing again. I am just not convinced they can do it right. Most of the screws that hold the trim on had to get put back in at an angle in order for them to have something to grab and tighten up. My wife wants me to cut our losses and dump it. I am pissed and I want them to buy it back or give us a new unit that hasnt been taken apart three times. Jeremy

Thanks. It went back to Open Range a couple months ago and had both sides replaced. It has been back a couple months and is doing the same thing again. I am just not convinced they can do it right. Most of the screws that hold the trim on had to get put back in at an angle in order for them to have something to grab and tighten up.If the sides were replaced, there should be new material for the screws to bite into, no? My wife wants me to cut our losses and dump it. I am pissed and I want them to buy it back or give us a new unit that hasnt been taken apart three times. Jeremy

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Gotcha. I was thinking of the foam-core walls I've worked with before. Framing members all cast inside the foam, clad inside and out with fiberglass sheeting. Replacing the fiberglass involved removing the whole wall. Somewhat involved.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

They pulled the fiberglass and underlayment. The aluminum framing is still original and is what the screws engage on the edges. They said they logged 180 man hours doing it.

180 man hours for rework is immaterial. If it had been done right the first time, then they would be where they should be. Their customer would have a unit that would represent the quality that they likely want to advertise, instead you have a unit that has some issues that seem to not be able to be resolved by even by the factory. And, yes, screws that are being put back into existing holes wont ever stay tight, whether its aluminum or steel. I do alot of self-tapping screw installation and it just doesnt work. So, a new location into a new hole or a nut/bolt installation. Esp with an RV, the ultimate rolling earthquake.

Hope it works out for you. We're all pulling for you.

Marcel

Thanks for the kind words. I have owned my own business for almost 17 years and I can say that I would not want my name attached to crap work and I honestly understand the problematic nature of most all RV's in general. I have owned close to a dozen different ones over the years of all types and sizes. So, I knew that buying another new one would involve some trips to the dealer for warranty work and was not upset about doing so. But, now that I have had all the fiberglass replaced once because of an admitted materials issue on their part... Let's just say that I am less than excited about the possibility of being without my 5th for another 6 weeks while they fumble around with another "Repair" at the factory in Indiana. Only to get it back at the end of the year, just shy of the end of my 2 year warranty. If it goes back again, a transportation company would have pulled my 5th more miles than I have in over a year of owning it!!!

Personally, I'd arrange a deal with the dealer you got it from, and the factory, for a reasonable trade-in. You are going to eat some expense no matter what. Sometimes it is just good to put it behind you and move on.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for the kind words. I have owned my own business for almost 17 years and I can say that I would not want my name attached to crap work and I honestly understand the problematic nature of most all RV's in general. I have owned close to a dozen different ones over the years of all types and sizes. So, I knew that buying another new one would involve some trips to the dealer for warranty work and was not upset about doing so. But, now that I have had all the fiberglass replaced once because of an admitted materials issue on their part... Let's just say that I am less than excited about the possibility of being without my 5th for another 6 weeks while they fumble around with another "Repair" at the factory in Indiana. Only to get it back at the end of the year, just shy of the end of my 2 year warranty. If it goes back again, a transportation company would have pulled my 5th more miles than I have in over a year of owning it!!!

I totally understand. I've been a contractor for almost 30 years, making it through the late 80s and the "Great Recession". I cant say that it was unscathed, but at least my reputation is intact as is my internal moral compass. I too have owned many RVs, from an El Camino to our current 5ers, including 2@ Class As. The worst for repairs was by far our Monaco Monarch we bought as they were flailing, and we got stuck with a $3800 bill for warranty work that we should not have had to pay for. And the dealer, just washed their hands of it. I'll NEVER buy anything from Giant RV again. Reputation and integrity is important.

I agree with Jack, try to get the best deal you can to seperate yourself from it and MOVE ON!

Marcel

Jeremy I to have a 2015 43' Open Range Mesa Ridge. We are at a C/G in Williamsburg Va. We towed to the ECR and SO FAR haven't had any major issues. The only issue has been a squeaky floor in the bedroom. We were @ a dealer rally and talked to another OR owner.They had some work done on their rig @ the factory. They towed it up there. They were really happy. I wonder if being on site helped the quality of the repair. I really feel for you and I hope you can get everything worked out even if it means getting into something else. Keep us posted. My email is slester013@aol.com. Did you have to pay to get it towed to the factory? The plant is on the upper end of Indiana. I plan on towing up there and have them fix the floor but it won't be real soon. We are going to put some more miles on it and enjoy the upcoming good weather. We got to the ECR from Va Beach area. Our longest haul. Again keep us posted. Pat

The Old Sailor

Genuine RV here in East Texas took care of everything they were capable of and did a great job!!! But, replacing a full side was beyond dealer level repair and had to go to Indiana. Open Range took care of the transportation both ways. All of this has definitely been an inconvenience, but I thought it might be worth it to have it fixed right. Second time around is a different story. The wife and I are looking at other units now and trying to decide what to do. All of this has gotten me half talked in to a Toyhauler from Heartland. Minus the bubbled siding, of course. LOL And thanks Pat!!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick follow up in case anyone was following this... The wife and I decided to take the loss and trade the Open Range in on a new Toy Hauler. We went a few feet longer and will be slightly pushing the length factor with our Hauler. ;) But, it is super nice and will allow us to travel with all the kids and a couple toys as well. I will be picking it up tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that the Grand Design Momentum 399TH serves us well and lasts a while!! I will try to post some pics tomorrow with it behind the Volvo on a new topic. Thanks for all of the input and now my wallet is as light as ever!!!! Gonna need a third job to pay for this thing!! Jeremy

We did the same some years back with a trailer that had one issue after another. We were actually on a three month trip when another thing happened and just took it to a dealer and bought another trailer. Tough to take the loss but it just wasn't worth continually fighting when we wanted to go RVing! Sorry for your problems. But best wishes for the future.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Thanks and that is exactly where we are at!!! I retire in about 12 years and I really wanted Something that might actually be servicable at that point and allow us to use it when we go fulltime. At least until we decide what works best for us at that point. Glad to be done with the old one. Jeremy

Jeremy I guess this posting answers some of my questions in my pm to you! Hope this toy hauler will make things more enjoyable. Were you still having the same problems with the OR? At least now it is a piece of history. Take care and keep those wheels rolling. Pat

The Old Sailor

Txsdslshop,

Sorry to hear of you're problems! Too bad I love the designs and layouts of the Open Range line. But if you couple your issues with a cable slide build, those alone would make me back away.

Hope the new one is the "one"!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived