6 week wait for driving test for class a Livingston

GlennWest

I'm confused. In your post about backing your HDT the last post you said you failed the class A test. Then in this post you state that there is a six week wait for the driving test in Livingston. But that shouldn't matter to you at this moment because you failed the computer part of the class A test. Right? Then tell me how you got your truck and rig to Rainbows End. Is there something I'm missing here?

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

Keep in mind that, unlike vehicle registration, operator licensing doesn't have to be done in the county in which you reside. If they're really that backed up, you might ask around to see if there are other DPS Driver License Centers in adjacent counties (or even within Polk County but not in Livingston) that might be both reasonably accommodative and not as busy as Livingston.

As an example, when we moved to the Valley from another state, we were warned by neighbors not to go to the nearest DPS DL Center in McAllen for our licenses due to perpetually heavy customer volume. Instead we went to the now closed Center in Edinburg, where we got through in a timely manner. Some down here even used to drive to Rio Grande City, thirty-five miles away, because Starr County is so sparsely populated that it is never busy.

Off-topic inquiry: How busy is the campground there, Glenn? I'll be headed to northeastern Louisiana over the weekend, and Livingston would be a convenient stopping place for me on Saturday, if they're not full.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

It busy here but we had no problem getting spot. There lots of opening here. I drove truck with class c. Had no choice. Was in Louisana. Yea, I failed. Take again in morning. Got a lot on my mind. Short in camper. Really my mind wasn't there. They acted like no big deal. Yea 6 week wait is a problem. May just have to stay here and get hotel for jobs until this done.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We took our test in Livingston and then learned that the driving test would be a couple of week's wait. Went to Lufkin and took it that day. Lufkin is a much larger city than Livingston but the driving test isn't terrible. DW was fighting morning sickness and not very well prepared (I forgot to tell her where the flares and reflectors were stored) but still passed, I think she got higher marks than I did.

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

There's also an office in Cleveland. I took my test there, however, for the driving portion, there were many questions and many phone calls as to what type of test I needed to take, just a driving test or a full blown CDL practical test. In the end, after much debate and several phone calls, the last one to a regional Supervisor. I took a standard driving test with the HDT and the fifth wheel and received a perfect score. In addition, the examiner took several photos of my truck and trailer as she was scheduled for recurrent training soon and wanted to get a definitive answer as to what was required for a combination like ours. I should mention that I as upgrading from a Class B exempt (for Fire apparatus) to a Class A.

Howdy!

When I took my written rest for class A a couple of years ago the lady at the office was surprised I passed. When I asked her why she stated "most Escapees don't pass the test the first time".

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

• 6 months later...

I don't know about "most" states, but many require a different DL to drive an HDT.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Here are the four biggest States.

List of U.S. states and territories by area

State/territory Rank sq mi km²

Alaska 1 665,384.04 1,723,337

Texas 2 268,596.46 695,662

California 3 163,694.74 423,967

Montana 4 147,039.71 380,831

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

It busy here but we had no problem getting spot. There lots of opening here. I drove truck with class c. Had no choice. Was in Louisana. Yea, I failed. Take again in morning. Got a lot on my mind. Short in camper. Really my mind wasn't there. They acted like no big deal. Yea 6 week wait is a problem. May just have to stay here and get hotel for jobs until this done.

(I'm resurrecting an old portion of the thread, but here goes...) "Had no choice" is incorrect; you had plenty of legal choices, just none that you were willing to pay for. I apologize for being blunt, but you knowingly disobeyed the law, and in my book, that's not OK. You paid taxes for the roads, but so did I: for them to exist with sanity, safety, and reasonable capacity, there are rules for how they are to be used, and having the proper license for the vehicle is one of those rules. "Everybody else does it", "nobody got hurt", etc. are excuses, not justifications.

When I did my CDL A (+TN) in 1998 in Pennsylvania, I was a college student who wanted a CDL. That meant I didn't have a truck. I did the right thing by selecting one of the options PA offered at the time (no idea if they still offer it): some truck&bus companies were certified to be third-party testing sites. It cost me $100 to take the test there (instead of free at the DMV) and it cost me $100 to use one of their trucks, but because their licensed examiner was in the seat the whole time, my learner's permit was valid to drive the vehicle. You had options available to you, too.

Oh my driving test is June 13, 2016. And she said any town in Texas I can do driving test. Just call and cancel if I do

I do believe that you have missed this date already Glenn.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived