First HDT Rally

buzz64

WOW! What a great time. A huge thanks to Carl and Donna for a great week.

There were great classes, great food and a lot of great people. Everyone was more than helpful and positive about trucks that were there and trucks that were dreamed about being there. I learned about decisions that somehow I made correctly, how to fix the ones I did not and how to make better decisions in the future. So many stories to hear about selection and conversion I thought my head might explode. The week went so fast, there were several rig's to look at and hear about. To see what mods were made, How owners of different backgrounds went about the mod's was overwhelming. If anyone is reading this that has dreamed about a big rig hauler I recommend attendance. So much wisdom about that first purchase and conversion.

I was worried because I had a rigid hitch on my truck and wanted to have that switched for the trip. Everything I tried failed, so off we went to the rally with a rigid hitch. Rick Olson of Comfort Ride Hitches there selling hitches so we bought one. There was a project day and several men showed up at my site to install the new hitch (that was pretty cool). After a few lessons on the placement of the hitch, it was installed. I again wish to thank everyone for the help. I was asked for a review so here is a start. The trip home was without incident. Moving the hitch back did improve the ride and handling. So far I am impressed with the hitch. I will continue to tell about it as I use it. If there are any questions about it feel free to ask and I will do the best I can to answer them.

Again, Thanks to EVERYONE there for the welcome and good time.

"Really sorry you bought that hitch and surprised it was bought at rally"

Why? Do you have information to share we should be aware of?

Also anyone attending or contemplating attending the ECR should know Comfort Ride was there to contrast their technology with the air ride technology available with ET's and other hitches. Although a hitch or two may have been sold, that was not the primary intent. Donna and I have made a commitment that the rally will NOT be a commercial venue primarily to "sell" anything. People talk to Gregg about trucks, Nuke-E about lights, Henry about Jackalopees and ETs but none of the above come to "sell" their product above all others, rather they all showcase their particular expertise and innovations. The ECR and National should be a showcase for technology that makes our way of life safer and better and we will continue to support that goal.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

That hitch, as I understand, only moves up and down, side to side. No forward movement to battle chucking. Looks very simple to me. Simple not always a bad thing but I am very unimpressed with it. Meant nothing negative about the Rally. Wished I could have went.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I just went to there site and reviewed the 308hd. It is a much better unit than I had reviewed previously. Still looks light compared with ET though.

Glenn,

A little birdie told me there will be a side by side comparison available in the near future. :)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Although a hitch or two may have been sold, that was not the primary intent. Donna and I have made a commitment that the rally will NOT be a commercial venue primarily to "sell" anything. People talk to Gregg about trucks, Nuke-E about lights, Henry about Jackalopees and ETs but none of the above come to "sell" their product above all others, rather they all showcase their particular expertise and innovations. The ECR and National should be a showcase for technology that makes our way of life safer and better and we will continue to support that goal.

Just to be clear - this is the goal of both Rally's. They are not venues to hawk goods, and the National Rally, at least, has consciously taken the direction not to start with commercial vendor booths, etc. There is a desire on some vendors part to participate at that level, but the Rally's are about Safety, and Knowledge and focus on those items. Under the direction of Gail and Steve the National Rally has consciously taken that step.

For those contemplating the HDTs, if you CAN, then you should get to a Rally - East or National - before your purchase. The knowledge you gain, and the advice you get, WILL save you money in the long haul. An HDT is certainly not for everyone, and with the capabilities of the current crop of "super pickups" not everyone needs an HDT. Getting to a Rally will help with decision making, either direction. Plus it is fun, and you will meet a lot of people that will remain your friends - HDT or not. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I am sorry about the confusion. I feel like I need to clarify my purchase. Rick was attending the HDT rally for information on purchasing and converting a truck of his own. He has information and technology that has interest to HDT haulers. Rick had a hitch he could sell me but was demonstrating the technology of his hitch at the rally.

Again, I was highly impressed with all the classes and information put out. There was so much knowledge at this rally and everyone was more than willing to help out anyone that needed it. Yes products changed hands. No, that was not the purpose of the rally. This is a group of people that want the HDT life style to be safe as much as fun.

Comfort Ride is the next generation of the TrailerSaver hitch. Same designer. Same swing arm set up. Same style hitch head that Henry uses that is the square style with the rocker box under it. So the hitch itself rides up/down (fore/aft) on the swing arm, then the head pivots side to side.

The designer had a non-compete when he sold to Hensley that is now past. The snubber/aircell technology is interesting for "lighter" pin weights. Say up to 5-6000lbs.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

This was our first ECR and the biggest difference between the ECR and the National is the ECR is more of a social rally and the National has more presentations. Two different paces and both well worth attending.

As for the Vendors they are not really there as vendors so much as they are there to answer questions on their products. Unlike other events where vendors will try to stop you and throw you their sales pitch, at a HDT rally the vendors only engage (not including a welcoming "Hello" as you are just passing by) with you if you express interest in their products.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

This was our first ECR and the biggest difference between the ECR and the National is the ECR is more of a social rally and the National has more presentations. Two different paces and both well worth attending.

As for the Vendors they are not really there as vendors so much as they are there to answer questions on their products. Unlike other events where vendors will try to stop you and throw you their sales pitch, at a HDT rally the vendors only engage (not including a welcoming "Hello" as you are just passing by) with you if you express interest in their products.

Rick, well stated and agree.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I have one of there very first proto type combanation ball / fith-wheel mount hitches. The new ones look great with a ton of improvments over mine (plus they don't make mine any more) . I have close to 20,000 kilometres on mine with no issues. It has taken me way up in northern Canada , up the Smokies to the HDT Crossville Rally construction through out I-75....Ahhhhhhh is all I can say as to why they creat huge pot holes during construction for us to navagate through!!!.. It rides great, nothing really moves to bad in the trailer. So yes I would recomend this hitch to anyone.

There is no hitch on the market like the E.T, it is one of a kind and the cost reflects that. Some day I hope to find on sitting on the floor in a garage waiting for me to snag it :) .

Love this rally!!! great time and great friends.......

Kevin

Archived