More work

JPL

I must confess my sins and I'm not Catholic. I've owned the Pride for 5 years and we have only use it for short trips. And was working full time so I didn't pay the maintenance attention I should have to Pats Pride. Now that I've retired I have been spending for the last 6 weeks in my shop working on it. It has seemed the more I've done the more I've found that needed to be done. Case in point: Front Brakes, replaced shoes and all hardware and replaced the drums with new ones. Road test reviled a right side pull. Looked at the brake chambers. The pins that let the clevis push the slack adjuster moving the S cam were not free. So the brake wasn't working like it should. Replace. Sounded simple enough. Bought new brake chambers. Got home only to find that they are type 20's not 30's. Tried to get pins out. No luck . Had to cut the clevis with a touch and remove the slack adjuster.It takes a stout snap ring tool . No nut just that snap ring. Make sure you don't loose the shims that keep the slack adjuster in place. Got everything cleaned painted and reinstalled. It sounds simple but believe me it was interesting. Randy did the work while I assisted. Test ran the Pride. What a difference. This morning my friend and Guardian Angle Randy from down the street was helping me again by showing how to grease the truck. We had started on the front spindles that we just put brakes and chambers on. As we were crawling aft he saw some drips coming from the power steering hoses. Couldn't be sure so we pressure washed the engine and then started the engine. Spray was coming from one of the power steering hoses. Removed and then went and had one made. Reinstalled and tested. No leaks. Moving on back greasing as we go. Get to the carrier bearing. He said if you push on this and it moves you have a problem. Not only did it move it moved a 1/2 inch. Houston we have a problem. We went ahead and finished the greasing. Crawled out from under the truck at 2:10. Randy said Pat that bearing needs to be fixed. We have a dinner reservation at 5:00 He dropped the front drive shaft. I go to Volvo and get the new bearing. Had to cut the the outer part in order to drop the rear shaft. Get the shaft on the ground. Torch the bearing and race off. Then remove the 1 5/8 nut that holds the splined universal housing to the drive shaft. After the nut came off(we were lucky) the splined universal housing had to be driven off of the shaft' Again lucky because it was off in 15 minutes. After we beat it off with a 5 lb maul. Polished the bearing surface and installed the new bearing that came encased in a metal housing. Then inserted the spline into the drive shaft and torqed the nut to get the housing back into place. Then reinstalled the drive shaft back into place. Reinstalled the front shaft and bolted everything back into place. Fired the Cummins up and went for a road test. Test sat. 3 hrs and 10 mins. We got to dinner at 6:30. Why all this BS? Just trying to make a point that I haven't been doing . You have to look under your truck. You have to know what you are looking at and what might be going wrong. Nothing that Randy and I have done over the last few weeks should have gotten this far. Learn from my mistakes. But also hopes it makes for a safe and enjoyable trip to the ECR. I hope to see you there. Be safe. Pat

The old Sailor

Hey Old,

"Grumps" would shove me under a truck and say.......fix it.........I would crawl back out and say it's ok ......"Grumps" would get down and just take a peek under the truck and find plenty of things to do under there.........mostly items that needed to be better chafe protected or air valve screens that needed cleaning......picky, picky....

One of his pet peeves was little gravel bits that would lay in the bottom frame rail that would cut into air lines it wire looms if they are allowed to remain in place too long......picky picky......

I would complain that the under truck time was wrecking my weekend free time......he would smile and say "better lose some weekend time rather than crawling around the beast during week day pay-time......."

Drive on.........(Lay under the truck a few min.........you'll likely find something to do)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Good on ya Pat! Those are all normal issues to find on these ol girls! Nice work and will give you piece of mind too! Randy sounds like a keeper! Safe trip to the ECR.

Bill

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Been "down under" a few times. It's a bit intimidating at first but slowly learning the way around. There's no learning like experience.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Hey Pat,

Can you bring your friend Randy with you to the rally. My truck could use some work. lol. Going outside to start my pre-trip inspection. Who knows what I will find.

It will be nice to meet you, best of luck on the road,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

to all- this is Randy , not only would this cost you 5 times more on the road but it could be very dangerous to you and your loved ones, no air= no brakes - not good , no brakes= accident,-not good , no power steering=accident not good no drive shaft = no trip , not good so in a nut shell please have a safe trip for every ones sake-- god bless and smooth sailing Randy

That is my Guardian Angle! Pat

The Old Sailor

Pat, did you mark the drive shaft parts and/or ensure that everything is back "in phase". Drive line vibrations due to out of phase components and/or incorrect angles can be a booger......don't ask me how I know. Looking forward to meeting you at the ECR. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

It went back in like it came out. We test drove to be sure. No issues. 2 days then underway. The weather out there sounds like it might be interesting. sc the last time I checked we are in site 327(sounds like a small block Chevrolet) but she told me it might change for the 4th time. we hope to see you there. be safe. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived