Water pump low flow

Changed the water pump due to head leakage on old one. New pump exhibits low flow from all outlets.

So the question is which model/manufacturer do you recommend?

Input requested as research is not illuminating. I'm thinking that we want a 45 PSI output pressure and 3 GPM or higher pump.

Bill

Somewhat preplexed.

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Was the one you pulled out the OE one? If so, what was it rated at? Do you have a house water filter? If so when did you last replace it? I ask because if your intake is restricted your out take will be also.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Was the one you pulled out the OE one? If so, what was it rated at? Do you have a house water filter? If so when did you last replace it? I ask because if your intake is restricted your out take will be also.

The newest install is the fourth since conversion in 2007.

What I'm looking for, should probably considered a poll, is information regarding satisfaction with pump performance regarding pressure and flow.

Thanks

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

The newest install is the fourth since conversion in 2007.

I really don't understand this problem, as in all of my years of RV use, I can only remember replacing one water pump and that one had a cracked housing because it froze up with water in it. I have rebuilt 2 or 3 of them but that isn't a big deal as most of them have kits available and the kit usually has instructions with it. A pump with a 3 gpm rating should be sufficient, unless there is some other plumbing problem.

Have all of your pumps failed by leaking or..................... ?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am very happy with the Aquajet RV that I have now. It flows 5.3 GPM at 65 psi. They also have a smaller model (Aquajet ES) that flows 3.5 GPM at 65 psi. Both of those pumps are variable speed pumps which helps on the noise when you don't need a lot of water from the facet as they only pump enough to keep up with demand. It replaced the Shurflo in our new RV as I was not happy with the performance or the noise from that unit.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 2 weeks later...

Since I dealt in used RV's I had to repair or replace several, one of the most common I used was Shurflo with FloJet being right behind and I couldn't really tell all that much difference in operation or longevity. I'm currently very happy with my FloJet, seems like its 2.9 CFM at 50 PSI (water pressure and flow rate is very good) and my last unit was a Shurflo 3.5 CFM at 45 PSI. I took a quick look on Flea Bay and the Aquajet seemed more expensive, but hey if you need more pressure and/or CFM go for it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrv+fresh+water+pump.TRS0&_nkw=rv+fresh+water+pump&_sacat=0

In order to reduce so much switching, short cycling and pulsation at low flows (and a ton of wear on the pressure switch) I recommend a tank pressure accumulator which I wouldn't be without.

As far as poor flow I would remove the inlet hose and any inline filter etc and check for good flow and any restrictions or hose bends or kinks etc. You cant have good output without a good input. Of course, you need a good solid 12 VDC power source to them, if youre dropping voltage before the pump that can hurt.

Best wishes

John T

Changed out a pump on our old 5er some years ago due to no water flow, transferred what turned out to be an inlet screen to the new pump, and it did the same thing. After thinking about it and doing more checking, finally figured out what the inlet screen was, took it apart, and found some green slime covering the screen. We had previously sanitized the fresh tank, and I think it loosened up the green stuff, After cleaning the screen, the pump worked like a charm.

Archived