Balancing Rear Tires

SuiteSuccess

Oh how I pine for the simple days when all I had to do was find enough courage to ask Sweet-Sue out for a date …....never got enough guts and she was likely lucky and did not know it......

Ok where we......oh ya truck balance....

Chuck,my life-long balance buddy is called by a firm that has two brand NEW KW that need to operate insanely smooth for a “proprietary project” and as such these trucks will be used in a “research-data- acquisition-mode” so the base line truck vibrations must be mitigated to the lowest levels......Gulp

So two NEW identical KW's arrive and they were sweet and “seemed” pretty darn smooth.

The owners rep wanted them “perfect”.........oh...Ok......what perfect is......

So best get to work making some baseline vibration date on the already very nice running new trucks.

So what do you think the baseline vibration data indicated on the pair of NEW trucks? ?

Everyone chime in with a guess

Hint: The final proof testing involved the trucks suspended off the ground and running gear operated at various speeds.....(no, children do not try this at home....and.....no taxpay dollars were wasted...yet) …....

Ok, Guess away.......the “answer(s) are pretty interesting......

The winner gets to work the “graveyard” shift trying to keep my memory-loss mom-n-law from finding the electric chainsaw......

Drive on......(How smooooth can $$$$$ …...get you)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I checked my studs beforehand and I have nearly an inch past the nut on all wheels.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The driveshafts should have been balanced when singling. They should be in perfect balance.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well.........drum roll please.........both trucks drive lines could be improved a...... little but they were pretty good.....

The items that could be improved most was..........brake drums.......sorta

Sorta turned out to be a big word here.

What is Dynamic Rotational Balance?

A rotating system of mass is in dynamic balance when the rotation does not produce any resultant centrifugal force or couple. The system rotates without requiring the application of any external force or couple, other than that required to support its weight.

UNBALANCED SYSTEMS:

When an unbalanced system is rotating, periodic linear and/or torsional forces are generated which are perpendicular to the axis of rotation. The periodic nature of these forces is commonly experienced as vibration. These off-axis vibration forces may exceed the design limits of individual machine elements, reducing the service life of these parts. For instance, a bearing may be subjected to perpendicular torsion forces that would not occur in a nominally balanced system, or the instantaneous linear forces may exceed the limits of the bearing. Such excessive forces will cause failure in bearings in short time periods. Shafts with unbalanced masses can be bent by the forces and experience fatigue failure.

The items that most folks tend to not understand about dynamic balance if the word couple and this is where life with trucks start to get very complex.........

A truck tire and wheel tends to lend itself to a fairly simple single plane balance in that the wheel and tire are several times larger in diameter than it is long so the balance / unbalance mass that is easy to correct is at the larger arms (distance) from the axis of rotation.

A truck driveline is a totally different animal........it tends to be a multi plane balance solution in that unlike the wheel / tire above the driveline has its mass distributed over many times the length of axis compared to the driveline diameter so the balance geek will say that the total driveline will need to be balanced because any unbalance at one end of the driveline will "Couple" to the other end of the driveline so the entire mass distribution of the driveline must be considered in the balance equations and solutions.

Here is another thing to consider about trucks........they have a lot of parts.......bolted to parts....bolted to parts.....etc......you know the drill.

Dynamic balance is like all human endeavors ......not perfect (except me once in a while) anyhow .......when we get something close to perfect we tend to talk about tolerances........the range of how close or far from perfect we are comfortable with.

Hang on now things get a tad complicated here ...........say our left drive axle hub is out of balance by 3 Oz at 4 inch arm at 12:00 and now we install a brake drum that is out of balance by 1/2 Oz at 10 inch arm at 6:00 so now we might just get lucky and have the less weight but longer arm of the brake drum unbalance to counteract the unbalance of the hub.......however......IF you take the brake drum off and rotate it 180 degrees and now install both heavy mass unbalance at the same radial location you will have a much higher force of mass unbalance.

Ok so now to make things even worse........remember the driveline multi-plane balance versus the single wheel tire single plane balance solution …....right? Well maybe......sorta......when does a simple wheel / tire change from a singel-plane balance equation........you guessed it.........when the wheels are bolted to each end of a axle.......now you have a multi-plane balance solution because.......you guessed it........the axle “Couples” the wheels into a related dynamic mass........

Whew.......and you thought trucks were just cheap to own and operate now you find out haw complex they are.......

Now if you are not scared enough consider that EVERYTHING that rotates on your drivetrain is always changing index with each other all day long so all those small or medium unbalances are interplaying and become more balanced and then as they change rotational index with each other become unbalanced …......Whew no wonder Dr. Pepper is a big selling item around trucks......

So did the new KW's get smoother........sorta …..kinda......at least the vibro-geek-graphs said so but in real life they were pretty darn good to start and as you can see a lot of factors are always in play so like Jack said when you find that …...perfect stretch of road......then you can then see if your truck is perfect as well.........let me know how close you get.......

Drive on.........(Freightshakers........not perfect.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Myself, I truly believe in the Centramatics.

Tires can be trued but with thousands of miles of wear, I bet they are no longer truly true.

Centramatics will take care of that.

Having the set balanced will work, until you lose a weight.

Centramatics will take care of that.

Even when you start with everything balanced and trued, if you're like me where my truck does go offroad tires can be chunked or a rock picked up.

Centramatics can help compensate for the misbalance.

Cheap insurance in "my" book, and no maintenance needed...... to me it's a no brainer.

Just my 2cents.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived