Telescoping Ladder

SWharton

I don't have any experience with one of those but carried one that folds into a square for use in ours and it served very well.

41id9+AMFsL._AA160_.jpg

I bought it just before we went on the road in 2000 and used it quite a bit over the years. Today it resides in our little travel trailer since it don't have a rear ladder and it still works just fine. It is about 4" square and 6' long when folded.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

. I don't think you can buy these anymore and the telescoping are aluminum, much lighter.

True on the length that they are available, but our motorhome had a rear ladder so didn't need a longer one. But the link I posted above leads to them on Amazon, right among the telescoping ones. And also, mine is aluminum, but it don't reach the top of most motorhomes. As to weight, mine weighs about 15# and this telescoping one (much longer) weighs in at 36# and it costs much more. I chose the one that I did because I prefer step ladders that will stand alone and I was guessing that it would do most things that I needed while weighing and costing much less. With our gas motorhome we had a fairly limited cargo capacity and so had to allocate use of it very judiciously. There were times when I needed to use a longer ladder, but with our practice of RV volunteering, I always had access to one if I could just wait until our next stop. Looking back, I highly doubt that I needed to borrow a longer ladder any more than a half dozen times in our 12 years on the road in the motorhome.

If you change I would advertise the folding one as they are still pretty popular as I see them frequently. Pam always said that she would never accept my hanging a big step ladder on the back ladder of the motorhome like is so often seen. ^_^

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are thinking about getting a telescoping ladder. I went on Amazon and the brands and prices are all over the place.

Anyone have any comments?

Suggest you go to Lowes or Home Depot and sample the ladders they have in stock. That way you can verify weight ratings, manipulate it, carry it around in the aisle a little bit, and decide if it folds small enough for your needs. I have a Werner folding ladder and am very happy with it. Fully extended I can reach the top of my 5er, yet it folds up to only about 4'.

Kirk,

Our ladder like yours is not aluminum so it weighs a ton(haven't weighed it). Also, in the MH we have limited long storage space and will never hang a ladder on the MHladder, that is where our sat. dish hangs. I did buy a 3 step alum. ladder on Black Friday and it may be all we need but I would feel more comfortable having a longer ladder. While our MH had a ladder, we need to use a ladder to get to it. The first rung is around 3' off the ground. I try not to go up on the roof anymore, let the younger ones do that.

Remoandiris,

Stopped at HD and Lowes, neither carry this type of ladder. Thanks for suggesting.

I have used a 12'6" telescoping ladder daily in my roofing business of 14 years. All that telescope are not the same. Look for one that has locks for each rung, on each side that locks and also needs to be unlocked. They come in several weight ratings. Often camping supply stores have the light weight models. My ladder can be made to be almost any length,, to clean the windshield, work under an awning, or to reach past the roof top for safety. I carry it all the time now in the coach and it is 1/4 the size of my 4 part folding ladder that makes an A frame or work platform.

Be careful if you find the type with the single two pins under the bottom rung, as they can collapse under load if those pins are pulled. Often times people add a short piece of line from pin to pin to touch with their foot to collapse the ladder. Those types of ladders have been all but banned by the insurance companies for their adjusters.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

That ladder link shows how the rungs lock, and the indicator that they are locked. A very good choice, and they say they have two weight ratings.

The ladder I have used, is the highest rated weight due to I just never knew who or what they might try to carry up the thing. If I were ever to replace mine, I would look at the lighter rated.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

I've owned this one for over five years. I bought the pad which goes over the end to protect surfaces that you lean the ladder against. Very satisfied with this ladder.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JIL0WU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have had this one for about 5 years. It handles 330lbs (I am about 296). 15.jpg

Current price is $119 on sale. I suggest the carrying case as it makes it much easier to stuff into storage spaces and pull back out. It has been very useful on multiple occasions. Since it is 12' to the edge of my roof, it does get me up where I need to be.

I also carry a Cosco Work Platform 160_120_5240_sourceimage.jpgwhich is my go-to ladder for most things I can reach with it but I wish it was a little taller. These 2 ladders have served me well for 5+ years.

I also have a Little Giant 17' ladder I paid a fortune for 15 years ago. My son took it over about 6 years ago in his construction business and uses it almost daily. It is still going strong. classic-detail-22.jpg

If I had the motivation, carrying capability and money, I would have 2 ladders;

• A very tall collapsing step ladder with a flat standing platform. Rungs are hard to work from without always having a grip with one hand and when wet, most rungs are deceptively slippery. Little Giant makes one I would love to have: safety-step-4.jpg
  • A little Giant Revolution Ladder Type 1A 22' revolution-22-detail-v2.jpgThis ladder would allow me to have 2 - scaffold ladders tall enough to use for roof edge work on a platform plank.

As for cleaning windshields, I have a squeegee - scrubber head on a very long pole. As fast as windshields get messed up and need to be cleaned, the easier it is to do it the more often I am likely to take care of it. Perfect cleaning of a windshield is a large waste of time in most traveling scenarios.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

We have the 15.5 ft one and have used it before:

We don't have a rear ladder, so this works well for us.

post-2584-0-25551700-1455477115_thumb.jpg

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I had considered buying a telescoping ladder but thought the price was kind of high. One day at Home Depot I saw the same telescoping ladder which Camping World has for RV use and they were on clearance. It was cheaper by about $100.00. I bought one and use it on my building project (pole barn) and it's always with me in my fifth wheel. One of the best buys I've made. Bill.

06 GMC 2500HD extended cab, long bed, Duramax.
07 HR Alumascape Suite 5er
Doberman, Jazz, RIP

new K9 Rufus (Roof)
SemperFi

I'll chime in on this topic, after having fallen from the roof shattering both wrists plus other damage to boot. Also adding some OHS guidelines.

The ladder should be 3' above the roof or surface you are walking on, this provides something to grab onto when getting on or off the ladder. So that makes the 15' one the way to go.

When you are establishing the angle of the ladder, stand left side to the ladder and your left hand out straight from the shoulder should touch the ladder at the same time the base touches the side of your left foot.

Important also that the top should be tied off or some sort of stabilizer contacting the roof to prevent it from sliding off sideways.

https://www.google.ca/#q=ladder+stabilizer

When I think of what 2 broken wrists have cost me, 150$ is a small price to pay. Your body was a lot more resilient as a teen than it is now. Newsflash, we break not bend now.

The telescoping ladders have available a rubber cap or pad that sits on the top of the ladder to prevent marring the side of the trailer if using the short one.

The 7' folding ladders will fit into either a 4 or 6" white sewer pipe tube mounted transversely beneath the trailer.

Let me put it into a different form. When standing on the ground the top of the trailer is 6 or 7 ft above your head. When standing on the trailer looking down, the ground is17 to 19' below from eye level....big difference when the head hits the ground from those heights.

I've had the folding step ladders, the four-piece folding ladder, and the telescoping. I much prefer the telescoping; it's sturdy, at 12' tall enough, and folds to a size that I can easily fit in a cargo bay. I glued a strip of carpet along the top rung and when cleaning the windshield extend the ladder just over the glass. It works great, and I don't have that ugly stepladder hanging from my rear roof ladder.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

We have used a small folding ladder for years. Just be careful in what you buy. So many import cheap ladders have flowed into the US RV market. As usual you get what you pay for, as we get older falls can be very hard on old bodies!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Thanks for all your input. We have found a used telescoping ladder, Xtend Brand, 15.5' that we will pick up in a few days. I agree that they are pricey but we have wished we had a ladder several times. No plans to go up on the roof, getting too old for that, but cleaning the windshield, slide topper problem etc. have prompted us to get a ladder. I don't think we would have bought a new one because of the price but used is fine. Someone mentioned how expensive they were at Camping World. I was surprised CW even carried them. I always look first at Amazon since so many stores will match Amazon's prices now and generally their pricing is very good.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjUzwXMYLxY

You may want to watch this and others like it before buying or using a ladder.

Link.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjUzwXMYLxY

Good (lengthy) video.

(30 years of ladders) -

Only disagree with parts showing climbing an extension ladder with hands on the rails rather than the rungs.

Climb using a hand on each rung - alternating hands - so there is always a hand on a rung.

Depending on (your) reach, skipping to every other rung (as above) is an alternate method.

I'd agree with the rungs, in reality I don't think I hold the rails. Whatever you do it is 3 points same as working RIB's. One hand for you and one for the boat.

I fell off the roof just over 2 yrs ago so have some experience.

Sorry, I didn't make the video...just trying to make a point and save some broken bones.

Habitat has a big push on safety at the moment so I'm trying to do my part to prevent injuries. Ladders and improper use of power tools are the main ones.

Too bad with your experience your not there they can use the experience/help.

Roger

Archived