Volvo power window blues

sclord2002

HELP !! I have a 2006 Volvo with an Inoperative passenger power window. The motor is operative when jumpered directly to a 12 volt source but will not operate by actuating the passenger window button from either the driver or passenger side. I am trying to find the window up and down relays to aid in troubleshooting but can not find them. The relays are relay 36/ER7 and relay 37/ER6. The dash fuse panel cover says they are external relays and they are not with the other relays under the dash fuse panel cover. Does anyone know where these relays are ? I am at a loss as to where these 2 buggers live. At this point, all i know is that the fuse is good, the motor/gearbox is good and that I have 12 volts coming to the passenger window switch but it wont work. I also can't detect any relay click by actuating the up/down stitches. I know I could jury rig a switch bypassing these relays to make it work but I would like to find the relays and fix the problem w/o jury rigging if i can. Thanks for your help. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Did you also try the front panel under the slide out mug holders (upper fuse panel)? There are some large fuses and power points located there along with some other items. IIRC there are also a relay/fuse panel on the drivers side lower storage compartment where some have the fridge installed.

Charlie;

Not to sound like Mr Obvious, but when mine quit working last summer, it turned out to be the switch proper. If you have the panel off, see if the switch passes current when the switch is pressed. With the switch disconnected, put your continuity probes on the switch terminals and operate the switch. No continuity, switch is no good.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

HELP !! I have a 2006 Volvo with an Inoperative passenger power window. The motor is operative when jumpered directly to a 12 volt source but will not operate by actuating the passenger window button from either the driver or passenger side. I am trying to find the window up and down relays to aid in troubleshooting but can not find them. The relays are relay 36/ER7 and relay 37/ER6. The dash fuse panel cover says they are external relays and they are not with the other relays under the dash fuse panel cover. Does anyone know where these relays are ? I am at a loss as to where these 2 buggers live. At this point, all i know is that the fuse is good, the motor/gearbox is good and that I have 12 volts coming to the passenger window switch but it wont work. I also can't detect any relay click by actuating the up/down stitches. I know I could jury rig a switch bypassing these relays to make it work but I would like to find the relays and fix the problem w/o jury rigging if i can. Thanks for your help. Charlie

Do you have a drivers control panel (DCP) this controls both window from the drivers side?

If you have a DCP then I don't think you have a R36/R37. With a DCP it looks like the windows are controlled directly from that panel and in the case of the passenger side that panel is fed from the drivers side. Drivers side panel fed by F3 and passenger fed by F4 (fuse numbers may vary).

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Charlie;

Not to sound like Mr Obvious, but when mine quit working last summer, it turned out to be the switch proper. If you have the panel off, see if the switch passes current when the switch is pressed. With the switch disconnected, put your continuity probes on the switch terminals and operate the switch. No continuity, switch is no good.

Paul

Exactly. No relays with a drivers door panel.

Daisy's dad and Ray, I do have DCP and did not know what that stood for. Therefore you both hit the nail on the head......i couldn't find the stinkin' relays cause they are not on my truck. Randy A scoured the Volvo site and uncovered the schematic that shows the one "with DPC" and it shows just the switch with no relays. I had tried the continuity check but didn't know if the circuitry in the switch would make that test conclusive. Thank you for your responses and thanks to Randy for his help and schematic research. Also, MrSeas, I did look there, to no avail. What a great group of folks we have here. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Ray & Randy used the Mr Wizard engineering (Drawings) aproach, I used the brute force (keep testing for voltage) method. Both Work

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you mark the wires for reconnection. Because of the crossover wire to the passenger window, you can spend a pleasant hour playing with the windows and wires. Don't ask how I know.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

The wires are already marked. Every (original) wire on the truck has a unique wire number printed on it (although some are hard to read). Using the wiring diagrams makes it easier to make sure the correct wire goes to the correct terminal/connection/pin.

It's like using a map to get from point A to B instead of just heading south and driving. Eventually you'll probably get there. Nothing wrong with that in fact it can be an adventure :wacko:

One advantage(???) of the BruteForce PokeAround method is you usually find other stuff that need fixing.

Would it be possible to provide Mark the schematic to post on the resource guide? I need it and from this thread others (will) need it as well.

I'm about to start this repair.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

My passenger window has stopped working twice (from both switches). The first time I tore the door apart I found that the mechanism was just gummed up bad enough that the motor would not work it. I cleaned and lubed everything well and it worked fine.

The second time was very strange and I can not explain it. It stopped working from both switches. I opened the dash and found a fuse location that said passenger window (or something like that) and there was no fuse. Jack had a fuse (I have the correct size now) and when I put it in everything started working again and has worked fine since.

I want to know how it was working before that OR if someone got into my truck at Hutchinson, opened the top of the dash, stole that fuse and put everything back together. The only people I can think of that would do that just to mess with me (and were present at the rally (you are clear on this one Phil)) are BillB or Rocky and they claim innocence.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I'm glad you don't think I would do that Brad, and then simply give you back your fuse.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Not to worry Jack. You are much more trustworthy than some of our friends. They know who they are.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hmmmmmmm . . . because I haven't been able to attend a rally since 2008 there are a lot of folks here that I've never met, and yet I know all three of the "scoundrels" that Brad mentioned by name personally. I must be keeping bad company. :o

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Would it be possible to provide Mark the schematic to post on the resource guide? I need it and from this thread others (will) need it as well.

I'm about to start this repair.

I think Mark has all/most of the schematics for the Gen I trucks on the guide. Not sure about the Gen II diagrams.

I have a Volvo CD for Gen II dated Sept 05 and also a zip file with the engine manuals for Volvo d12, d13, d16 and "truck operators engine manual".

The Volvo CD is a little confusing to navigate but packed with good info. Even though it only covers up to 05, the later years have a lot in common.

More than glad to forward all to Mark or make available to everyone. Looks like I can copy to OneDrive and then create a link. Then post the link here. Open to any other suggestions on how to share these files.

Onedrive is a good idea. Mark can pick it up from there.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I want to know how it was working before that OR if someone got into my truck at Hutchinson, opened the top of the dash, stole that fuse and put everything back together. The only people I can think of that would do that just to mess with me (and were present at the rally (you are clear on this one Phil)) are BillB or Rocky and they claim innocence.

Brad

Holy Mackeral. I sure am glad I missed the rally. I'd like to say it sounds like something I would have done, but that is just way to devious for my mind to have thought up...but I will have to remember it and save it for a rainy day.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

For those with switch issues was it necessary to remove the door panel or could access to the switch be done by prying/popping out from the top?

Was replacement part purchased at Volvo dealer?

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

TreyandSusan;

You can get the switch out without removing the door panel if you are very, very, very careful. Otherwise you break the retainer tabs off. You need to push the retainer back toward the center of the switch while providing a small amount of prying. When the tooth pops loose from the retainer, move to the next one. Rinse & Repeat.

Paul

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Holy Mackeral. I sure am glad I missed the rally. I'd like to say it sounds like something I would have done, but that is just way to devious for my mind to have thought up...but I will have to remember it and save it for a rainy day.

Well just because I'm the last of the three to see this posting doesn't mean I'm the guilty one. In Fact, I think maybe someone might have been hypnotized by the only person who says it would have been something that he would do! So the real question is, who was last seen giving Dr. Peppers to "you know who". And did it happen in the library or the conservatory?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Well just because I'm the last of the three to see this posting doesn't mean I'm the guilty one. In Fact, I think maybe someone might have been hypnotized by the only person who says it would have been something that he would do! So the real question is, who was last seen giving Dr. Peppers to "you know who". And did it happen in the library or the conservatory?

Lavatory.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived