AT&T brings back unlimited data plan

I just received this from the Consumer Electronics Show now going on in Las Vegas:

AT&T dropped unlimited-data plans in 2010, but the carrier is bringing them back, though only to current and new subscribers to its U-verse and DirecTV pay-TV services.

The company said the unlimited plan is the “first of many integrated video and mobility offers” that will be announced this year along with “a wide-range of new video entertainment options.”

The unlimited plan, available Jan. 12, includes unlimited data, talk and text at $100/month for one line and $40 for each additional smartphone or tablet line, with a fourth line free. For a family of four, the cost of four smartphones will be $180/month, excluding the price of the phones.

Consumers switching to AT&T wireless are also eligible for up to $500 in credits.

Like before, consumers who combine AT&T wireless and DirecTV/U-Verse bills will save an additional $10/month per household account.

Consumers looking to add DirecTV can get the pay-TV service at prices starting at $19.99/month for 12 months with a 24-month contract.

The plan does not reduce the resolution of video streams as it does with T-Mobile’s BingeOn plan, which allows for unlimited video streaming of select video services, said Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobile and Business Solutions.

Unlimited-plan customers who don’t need unlimited data for a tablet can opt for a tablet plan delivering 1GB of data for $10/month. Smart watches can also be added to an unlimited-plan account at $10/month, and basic phones can be added at $25/month.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

and in the fine print terms, they clarify that "unlimited data" to them means up to 22 gig in a month, then you get "throttled". still a good deal if your needs are usually less than 22gig /month and you're in areas covered by ATT.

Jim

Can you explain "throttling"? I hear it a bunch but do not have a thorough understanding of it. I just today upped my Verizon to 25GB for 225/mo. Ouch... (That's two basic phones and a Jetpack)

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

AT&T says that it has the right to reduce the throughput speeds of "unlimited" users who use more than 21GB in a month. Ostensibly, they are only supposed to do this if their network is overloaded, but I gather they do it pretty routinely. When that happens the user's internet speed will drop to whatever they choose to make it; I gather that it isn't enough to stream video which would make it ~<1Mbps.

AT&T got a rap on the knuckles from the FCC about this, but they pushed back and the government appears to have dropped the subject. However, Verizon has stated that it would raise prices on unlimited accounts but would try to throttle them (yet).

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

It is nice to see the throttling bar being raised to 22GB... Now I hope this spurs Verizon to reoffer a new "Unlimited" plan!

I've always been a tinkerer and a fixer...

So what better way to stay active in my retirement than to buy an RV...

ATT got a very substantial fine ($100 million) from the FCC for applying the throttling to existing customers after the fact.

Generally the Feds seemed to say that its ok to throttle if its included in the terms when the customer signs up. Its not ok to unilaterally add throttling to customers plans that never mentioned it in the original plan terms(except at renewal).

The recent "Net Neutrality Rules" adopted by the FCC seem to include some language banning "throttling". But the same set of rules say its OK to implement "Network Optimization" procedures. Which is just another term for throttling.

ATT seems to think they have a better shot at getting the ok for throttling (network optimization) if they only apply it after 22gig instead of their original 5 gig limit.

ATT is also being sued by the FTC for false advertising, related to "unlimited" not really being unlimited.

AT&T got a rap on the knuckles from the FCC about this, but they pushed back and the government appears to have dropped the subject. ...

Jim

AT&T says that it has the right to reduce the throughput speeds of "unlimited" users who use more than 21GB in a month. Ostensibly, they are only supposed to do this if their network is overloaded, but I gather they do it pretty routinely. When that happens the user's internet speed will drop to whatever they choose to make it; I gather that it isn't enough to stream video which would make it ~<1Mbps.

AT&T got a rap on the knuckles from the FCC about this, but they pushed back and the government appears to have dropped the subject. However, Verizon has stated that it would raise prices on unlimited accounts but would try to throttle them (yet).

Hey Joel - Assume you left the word "not" out of the 'but would try to throttle them (yet).'

But agree the FCC seems to have pulled back on the carriers... Especially after their last couple of rules changes.

As RV has pointed out in previous posts, other competition is coming... Looks like it's a good 3-5 years out still, but when more choices for fast data speeds are available - competition may get the price points down.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Be sure to read the other fine print in this offer... not only is it subject to network management after 22GB of usage in a month (which doesn't mean speeds are automatically slowed aka 'throttled' - but that your traffic is subject to de-prioritization if you're on a tower that is congested), but the plan does NOT include any tethering.

For our full story:

AT&T Unlimited Data is Back – But Only For DirecTV Subscribers

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Kevin, throttling is, your speed is slowed down. for in this case get first 22gb of data use at a 4g speed, after you have used up that much data, your phone is going to be slowed down to a "3" g speed. you can still use your phone to go on line, use apps such as google, chats, location apps, (driving instructions) ect but at a reduced speed.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Was about to sign up for DirectTV to get the unlimited data when I noticed the "tethering and mobile hotstop use prohibited". As I'm sometimes not all that great when it comes to technology, could anyone explain why this would be the case? What's the difference (to AT&T) if Im using the data directly from my phone, or using it from a tablet tethered to a phone? Thanks!

What's the difference (to AT&T) if Im using the data directly from my phone, or using it from a tablet tethered to a phone? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's because you're far less likely to use lots and lots of data if you are restricted to doing so on a phone. I know that many young people stream movies on their phones, but my eyes find that less than pleasurable for long periods of time. So if AT&T restricts the "unlimited" offer to just the data people will use on their phones, it knows that total usage is likely to be significantly less than it would be if they permitted you to tether your laptop.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On many phones you can "cast" them to a smart TV, or in our case a smart Blu-ray player via wifi. That displays the phone screen on the TV.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was about to sign up for DirectTV to get the unlimited data when I noticed the "tethering and mobile hotstop use prohibited". As I'm sometimes not all that great when it comes to technology, could anyone explain why this would be the case? What's the difference (to AT&T) if Im using the data directly from my phone, or using it from a tablet tethered to a phone? Thanks!

i'm on a go phone plan and I have unlimited data with the first 6 gigs at high speed. I never go over that so i'm not worried. and with the go phone plans they allow you to tether to your laptop at no charge. I refuse to deal with directv with all of there bait and switch tactics and there not gonna manipulate me into a contract either. and them and dish have the same channels for what I watch

Archived