Drive line angles - Here's why they are critical

budeneighe

What wasn't shown was that at equal shaft angles and proper phasing, the driveshaft itself still oscillates dependent upon angle and as your suspension moves up and down, the driveshaft twists to accommodate the variation in angles and therefore speed at each end.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

What wasn't shown was that at equal shaft angles and proper phasing, the driveshaft itself still oscillates dependent upon angle and as your suspension moves up and down, the driveshaft twists to accommodate the variation in angles and therefore speed at each end.

The point of the reference is that it is necessary to have the drive shafts in alignment when the axles are moved in singling so that the universals are only necessary for the variances in spring action and not constantly adjust for shaft misalignment.

That display was not necessary because that action of springs is understood.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

It would be nice to find one like this for Constant Velocity joints to show why they are better (in some cases).

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit for the more mechanically inclined or curious.

http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonPatDan.htm

Stekay.....

Back in the stone-age I had a sharp kid ME only out of school a few years that had the bad luck of becoming involved in one of the "back-water-projects" I seemed to get wrapped around the axle with from time to time.........

The "kid-ME" loved complex linkages and grouser-wheel-wheerly-gig-thingy-ma-gigs.......so I had inherited the duty of loitering around the USSR prov at the Paris Airshow one year and was "befriended" by a Ruskee-engineer-geek" (ya right)......anyhow part of his "comrade-job" (cover) was to display the superior prowess of the high-level of mech-tech over the rest of the world.......so started my lowly life of........"trading-with-the-Ruskee".......the company I was hanging with at the Airshow had a booth in the U S prov and they were giving away penlights with the company on them........at that point in time the Ruskees were hell-bent on proving to the world that they had the biggest-of-whatever.....including flashlights.......but have you ever tried to work under the backside of a car dash with a flashlight the size of a basketball? So started my "life-of-Ruskee-tech-trading" this "Ruskee" offered to "trade" a complete 12 volume set of amazing mech-tech books for.........a couple cartons of penlights.......the books were never intended to be anything but bragging material to be waved in the face of us capitalists but this guy was so desperate to get rich in the black market back in the mother country he risk pretty bad juju for some give-away penlights.......pretty funny.....or sad when you ponder it.....

Anyhow as I recall few hundred pages of the Ruskee books involved complex drive lines and rotary joints as only a Ruskee-engineer could invent.......the funny thing is that as I recall some of these "concepts" found themselves into some "hardware" here in the free-zone.........who knows we just might have a few Ruskee-drive lines around us and not know it.....

The big-dogs got rich ( and life sentence) trading with the Ruskees........I got a hundred pounds of books that many engineers would need a lot of booze to decipher.......

Drive on.......(Keep those drive lines ........smooth)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Okay, I've resisted long enough. Has no one else noticed that the drive shaft in the video was improperly assembled. Duh. Any 12 year old farm kid knows better than that.

So, who can point out the error?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Okay, I've resisted long enough. Has no one else noticed that the drive shaft in the video was improperly assembled. Duh. Any 12 year old farm kid knows better than that.

So, who can point out the error?

yokes are not clocked right

what do i win ??? :)

edit with "not right" i want to say "not identical oriented"

" Diamonds R 4 ever " driver.gif

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold
current project; 1952 Diamond T, Cummins 8.3l @ 375hp/ 800ft lbs
, single axle, 239" WB, 1954 Spartan 137" air ride sleeper ....

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

Good theoretical information!

Now for the practical information. Does anyone have a "link" that they can post to show how to verify drive line angles are correct, after singling (or during the singling process)?

I am in the process of stuffing a 1998 Yamaha V4 1200 cc VMAX motorcycle engine into my Yamaha Rhino. This is a new build. I have to align engine to divorced transfer case and then divorced transfer case to the front and rear differentials.

I will have to align the shafts in both the vertical and the horizontal axis. I have a precision machinist level for the vertical. I am stuck on the horizontal axis. I am thinking about using lasers (firearm laser sights) for horizontal axis alignment.

And, I am stuck

Although my project is for a Rhino, the process will be valuable to all HDT'ers who want to single their truck.

Good theoretical information!

Now for the practical information. Does anyone have a "link" that they can post to show how to verify drive line angles are correct, after singling (or during the singling process)?

I am in the process of stuffing a 1998 Yamaha V4 1200 cc VMAX motorcycle engine into my Yamaha Rhino. This is a new build. I have to align engine to divorced transfer case and then divorced transfer case to the front and rear differentials.

I will have to align the shafts in both the vertical and the horizontal axis. I have a precision machinist level for the vertical. I am stuck on the horizontal axis. I am thinking about using lasers (firearm laser sights) for horizontal axis alignment.

And, I am stuck

Although my project is for a Rhino, the process will be valuable to all HDT'ers who want to single their truck.

Turn the rhino on it side? Or how about a compass?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Jim,

Using TWO dial indicators common methods of shaft alignment are:

1. Reverse Dial method

2. Face rim method

3. Double radial method

Many industrial general machine installation refs will describe the above methods in detail.

If you have access to a Ipad you might want to use a Ap called iAlignCalc by Motonics LLC ( At theApple Aps store) I have the Motionics Vibration equipment and bearing and gear and single & two plane balance software that has worked well for me for the last few years.

If you have a industrial electrical motor repair shop nearby they likely have a computer laser alignment unit that will make short work of the alignment task that you need.

Take a peek at: https://www.myodesie.com/wiki/index/returnEntry/id/2955

Drive on.....(Align with care.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

yokes are not clocked right

what do i win ??? :)

edit with "not right" i want to say "not identical oriented"

Only 35 minutes from the time I post the question and RB nails it. One ATTA-BOY for RB!

Hooking up various pto driven equipment over the past 50 years make me wanna scream when I see silly misteaks like that. And that video was supposedly done by enjinears?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived