Another Exploding Tire Fatality

JRP

Yesterday at a Sears Tire store in NH, a worker was killed and a customer seriously injured when a truck tire blew up on the tire inflation machine. Details on the exact cause, whether machine failure or operator error are unknown and still under investigation. Although rare overall, this exploding tire story seems to re-occur every year under slightly different circumstances. A grim reminder that these tires we inflate to the 100 PSI range can be a small bomb under the wrong circumstances.

Jim

Many places use cages...but I have seen plenty that did not. I've seen a tire explode. I stay away from them in tire shops. While the odds of it happening to you are slim, I see no reason to tempt fate.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There is a difference between seating pressure and running pressure. If someone puts a 16.5 tire on a 16 rim this can happen. If it is a split rim it can happen. If the bead is damaged it can happen. We just need to carry around a professional tire guy to air up our tires. But wait, I can get a job at Discount Tire and before the first break I am a professional tire guy.

Have I about covered the future of this thread?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Here is a story from the Boston Herald. There is a thread on this forum about Discount Tire. Having had several sets of tires mounted at Discount Tires in Henderson, NV., they put all tires, they don't do big truck tires, in a cage to air up. I asked a tech one day about it and he told me that any employee that doesn't use the cage may as well pick up his lunch bucket and head on down the road kicking pebbles.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2015/12/nh_man_22_dies_when_tire_explodes_at_sears_in_salem

Years ago I had a friend mounting a split rim type on a truck after inflating it in a cage. The rim came apart and hit him in the face. After about 7 procedures he did look pretty much like a normal human being but NEVER looked like the same person.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Another clear reason why the maximum air pressure allowed for seating tires to the rim is 40 psi.

I have filled them way over 40 psi. Setting 30 profile tires can be a chore sometimes. I just lubbed them up really good, so the bead would slip into place with the least amount of pressure.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

What is trying to be said, is that it should never require more than 40PSI to get the bead of the tire to seat on the rim. If you get to 40PSI and the bead isn't seated, then deflate and put more lube on the bead of the tire, and/or investigate why the tire isn't seating on the rim.

Once the tire is seated on the rim you can inflate the tire to the proper specification.

BTW, for large vehicles the proper term is a "wheel" for what is commonly called a "rim" in passenger cars.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived