Hoppy Circuit Guardian?

redcrzr

I am having issues with my HDT trailer wiring and hope that someone here can direct me. I have a combination 7 flat leg RV and a 4 peg flat. The only leg that is "hot" is the constant 12 volt on the RV plug. The 4 flat is dead.

I found what I believe would be a protection/connection for the wiring harness. It is labeled "Hoppy Circuit Guardian". Probably 2006 vintage. Does anyone have info. or experience with this style connection? Possibly a fuse that could be accessed? I am wanting to finally get a trailer so now is the first I've looked into the trailer lights and of course they are not working.

I did "google" the Hoppy and have sent off an email inquiry but was also hoping one of you might provide some guidance.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Todd: Little but of trouble following you...do you mean you have BOTH a 7 pole RV plug and the 4 pole molded "flat trailer" side by side at the hitch , or do you have an adapter that goes from one to the other?

In either case, the Hoppy units are known "problem" units. I'm sure someone with more experience may hop on here. It is possible the Hoppy won't even let any voltage on the lines without a trailer (load) connected, but I doubt it. Most likely the Hoppy has failed. Are there signals (turn/brake) getting to the Hoppy?

Thats what the "Jackalopee" was designed to fix...contact Henry for more info.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I have the side by side near the hitch. I did connect my enclosed trailer to the 4 prong flat the other day and had no lights. I suspected that somehow "Phoenix" might get mentioned in this thread. I am still hoping that there is an easier fix than a complete replacement.

I haven't checked the signal to the Hoppy, wasn't sure if it comes apart or not. I thought I was doing good just finding it.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Peety: I already have a 7-4 adapter. It has indicater lights that aren't functioning so I'm assumming that I have other issues, as stated above.

Todd

What is the Model number of the Hoppy. Some have circuit protection, some don't. It is possible to burnt one if it isn't of the protected ilk.

A Hoppy should work without the trailer connected.

This is my Hoppy Schematic

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Looking at the Hoppy it would appear to be 310 0041 561 and 7/02. I would suspect that to be an earlier version of what has been discussed.

After looking closer, the "feeder" wiring is coming from the cab trailer light connection that I suspect was original equipment. Although difficult to reach, I tried pulling on the connection to see if I might detect that it may be loose or corroded. I couldn't remove the cable. Tried turning it and that didn't work either. Fairings & drom in the way. Should this just pull straight out? I'm starting to lean toward an order from Henry but it would be nice to know if there might be a simpler (cheaper) fix.

Todd

Personally, I'd be rewiring that entire thing and doing it correctly. I'd put a Jackalopee inside the drivers storage box and feed it with the trailer connector (you can cut that off to lenght. Then run NEW wire to the rear for the trailer lights and put a new socket on it. That way you have a proper install and know what you have. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've been up close & personal with that Hoppy more than I care. It doesn't smell burnt but it could have been "fried" when I bought the truck 2 years ago. I just sent an order off to Henry and am patiently waiting for my Christmas present from Florida. Thank you all for the suggestions and I suspect that you haven't heard the last from me on this subject. Wish me luck. Mr Jackolopee should arrive right around the time we hit -10 here in the now green & 52 great white North.

Todd

What Jack said. Start fresh inside storage out of weather. Then new to trailer. You will not regret doing the work.

I followed their advise in 2007 on our 01 770 trailer lights etc has been trouble free. Used one of Marks wiring diagrams.

I'm still on the original Hoppy that has protection built in. Have a back up just in case. My install was Pre-Jackalope or that would be on there.

Enjoy that great magic box Henry has. It's a work of art!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Enjoy that great magic box Henry has. It's a work of art!

And it will still work, even it you let it fill up with water.......just don't ask how I know this tidbit :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I know Bill, I know, I have been acquainted with Phil's Jackalopee on couple of occasions up close and personal. Eventually we replaced the board.

By the way, another very persistent customer got to the bottom of the issue of Jackalopees filling up with water (mysteriously) when everything is sealed up. Common on Jackalopees mounted low on the frames, like Phil's.

The customer kept siliconing, all possible entry points, until he discovered where the moisture seeps in. It turns up that the seven wire cables are the culprits. If you strip the insulation you notice that the outside rubber covering comes off pretty easily, there is a paper layer over the wire and everything is covered in talcum powder. The wire bundle and the wires are separate and it is not truly a molded cable where the seven wires would be part of the mold. There are open spaces between the wires and between the wire bundle and the outside sheath. The Jackalopee kept "leaking" until he siliconed completely the opened ends of the cables inside the Jackalopee, around the outer sheath and in between the seven wires.

So even the unit is water resistant, if mounted low, it can get moisture inside through the seven wire cable, not on the outside (that seal works) but through the inside. Seven wire cable! Welcome to the "quality crap", again, from the RV industry.

I heard that there is a new version of the Jack coming out, Might have been just a new case. Something with a water Phil line and an over flow recovery unit similar to antifreeze catch bucket.

Something anyway about water cooling for those overstress units.

Oh, why's it gotta be a "Phil" line?? Dang!! :D

I know Bill, I know, I have been acquainted with Phil's Jackalopee on couple of occasions up close and personal. Eventually we replaced the board.

Yeah, the company owner is a crusty old bird but that guy in customer service is super great!! :D:):D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived