Volvo 780 - 2017 excited and 2nd thoughts

Larry&Donna-AK

Maybe it's Jacks turn to mock up his Build Sheet!

Goldrush, that would be a "waste of time" at this point. If I was younger I'd buy a new truck, but the numbers do not work for me at this point. I might have 10 or so more years on the road, so a new truck does not really make sense.....but sometimes you have to just "do things"....even if they don't make sense. So I'll never say never.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goldrush, that would be a "waste of time" at this point. If I was younger I'd buy a new truck, but the numbers do not work for me at this point. I might have 10 or so more years on the road, so a new truck does not really make sense.....but sometimes you have to just "do things"....even if they don't make sense. So I'll never say never.

Jack, you're correct in your assessment "new truck does not really make sense" (does any Truck?) but I'm enjoying the quest/adventure and in the belief that once my Truck is finished it will not be that much more in dollars than if I found a good quality used truck to convert and I'll have it the way I want with a warranty. Bonus! :)

I've also thought "am I over my head" then I remind myself it's all about the life style and visiting our Great Nation safely and yes I might only have 10 years. What the heck I'm still enjoying life so "Why not get crazy", it's only my life savings or as my Children might say "What about my inheritance?"

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Jack, I thought I saw your truck for sale so I figured you might be buying new.

Correct, my truck is for sale. But I'm not thinking new - at the moment. Gregg will build me another truck. Probably a 2014 or near that vintage.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Volvo could be a lot more accommodating by having options such as rear seating for those needing it, bigger windows in the sleeper, possibly 2 more doors, scrapping fridge and locker for those not needing them. Not to mention all the add on electronics added by many.

Peterbilt and Freightliner have been doing it for years.

Correct, my truck is for sale. But I'm not thinking new - at the moment. Gregg will build me another truck. Probably a 2014 or near that vintage.

2-3 year old truck. That's very close to new. Almost the same price, Maybe? ;)

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

2-3 year old truck. That's very close to new. Almost the same price, Maybe? ;)

No, not near the same price. But any newer and it would be....

For many people when you get up into that range and newer it is worth it to consider ordering a new one. And I steer people that way. As you found out, it makes a lot of sense. It will still cost a little more, but all things considered, for most people, it is probably a better way to go. Especially if you are not already into your 60's :(

www.jackdanmayer.com

No, not near the same price. But any newer and it would be....

For many people when you get up into that range and newer it is worth it to consider ordering a new one. And I steer people that way. As you found out, it makes a lot of sense. It will still cost a little more, but all things considered, for most people, it is probably a better way to go. Especially if you are not already into your 60's :(

Sounds like you're ready for the Geriatric Club, now that you're so old being in your 60's. ;) I had a moment on my last Birthday but then I was reminded that I'm a "Prime Number" this year and very special to my Wife, Life is Good.

Believe me, Initially I looked for a used Truck but there was always an issue that I just couldn't live with and the Trucks I did find that appeared mechanically sound I thought a CSI Team was needed to investigate the Interior. ;)

As you might guess, I had only four initial requirements

1.must be mechanically sound

2. Clean (inside & Out)

3. within Budget when ready for the Trailer (I'm a little over my truck budget because I couldn't say "no" to some cool options)

4. Finally for New only; is the Commercial Use FET Tax issue

The Bonus is everything about my Truck was selected by me, a Newbie that doesn't know any better.

The Bonus is everything about my Truck was selected by me, a Newbie that doesn't know any better.

I think you did a fine job with your specs. There may be something minor that you see later that you say "I wish I woulda..." but that ALWAYS happens, no matter what.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Larry,

One of the biggest deterrents to purchasing new in the USA you have avoided which is the FET. Which I feel you should not have to pay if not using the truck for commercial hauling. We don't pay FET up here so wasn't a concern for me when ordering. You should link your dealer in the resource guide as it may help others here get into a new RV hauler without paying FET like you did.

I think you did a fine job with your specs. There may be something minor that you see later that you say "I wish I woulda..." but that ALWAYS happens, no matter what.

Thank you...I'm not CDO, I mean OCD, but it will bug me if I missed something important. I have to admit the process was pretty overwhelming when going through the 1500 options that are available.

Larry,

One of the biggest deterrents to purchasing new in the USA you have avoided which is the FET. Which I feel you should not have to pay if not using the truck for commercial hauling. We don't pay FET up here so wasn't a concern for me when ordering. You should link your dealer in the resource guide as it may help others here get into a new RV hauler without paying FET like you did.

To clarify....As long as I own this new Truck it will never be used Commercially. very important statement

I haven't posted to the Resource Guide, as of yet, but in previous forum post I've stated my Dealership....."North West Equipment Sales, Inc. (NWE)" Boise, Idaho. contact either Paul or Jeff..... a Mack and Volvo Dealership.

Believe me, Once my Truck is delivered I will be posting my complete experience, +Photos, into the Resource Guide. note to Admin: I might need some help doing this. Until then I only can post my Progress: the Build Proposal, tell everyone it's ordered, express my excitement, and answer any questions with things I know.

Jack eludes to age and being 60+... Who knows what tomorrow will bring, it's all about the adventure until you "Tip Over". (a little pun with regard to the Tricycle Guy in the TV show "Laugh In".)

Afterall, my Dad (RIP) had a 4 digit Escapee number and traveled 20K-30K miles per year via Dodge Truck/5th wheel. He started his RV adventure at 65 and continued into his late late 80's. He hated the fact he had to quit but knew it was time. He insisted that his Escapee membership was paid every year.

I'd mentioned this previously. I'd looked into new and Adam was intimately familiar and a fan of HDT RV's. He was well aware of Greg Shields as well. He had a combination that would be exempt from F.E.T. that was very similar to a FedEx truck he builds.

Adam T. Hellinga

Andy Mohr Truck Center

1301 S Holt Rd

Indianapolis, In 46241

317-697-6596

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I'd mentioned this previously. I'd looked into new and Adam was intimately familiar and a fan of HDT RV's. He was well aware of Greg Shields as well. He had a combination that would be exempt from F.E.T. that was very similar to a FedEx truck he builds.

Adam T. Hellinga

Andy Mohr Truck Center

1301 S Holt Rd

Indianapolis, In 46241

317-697-6596

As a point: I had no limitations during my build process. In saying this, you might see items missing or added in my proposal, every omission or addition was an economic choice. My build is based solely on my desired configuration, options, and budget. Budget being my biggest limitation. :)

Isn't it everyone's? Gotta have enough in case we hang around longer than we planned. -_-

Planned? What Plan? :wacko: ​I ​only planned to retire and live. ;)

Not having any experience or owning any previous Truck or having any opportunity to buy used at home has gotten me to this place. I guess I'm too Naïve in my search for Quality with the "Fit and Finish" that I desired. It certainly has lead me down this path. ;)

Did you happen to have a look at ordering from a Canadian dealership? I don't know the legal ramifications but in my business the Canadians dollar is in the pits and I was wondering if buying new from up there was possible and/or cost effective?

I never considered Canada and not familiar with import laws. I will have to defer to more knowledgeable people.

The dealerships up here are just converting from US to Canadian dollars so the currency exchange would not help. They do not charge 12% FET here but if you brought it back to the US you would have to register it and probably have to pay the FET at that time. They also charge 5% GST tax here in Alberta which You could claim back. They issue a NVIS form which says it is a class 8 truck. I had to go to my registry office and get that changed from Class 8 to a "Motorhome" which is not that easy to do on a "new" truck. If it is a used truck that is "converted to a Motorhome I was told it was an easier process from the registry people.

The best deal if buying from Canada would be from a private individual (because they don't have to charge GST tax if sold privately) and if the truck was already registered as a motorhome the import and registration as a motorhome would be much easier if your state allows it.

larry you would be foolish to purchase a Volvo truck at this time . the plant is in layoff 730 employees and the quality of your truck will suffer.the layoff are starting in feb. and contract talks are going on as well. do you self a favor and wait till least summer or fall till all this blows over ,plus its a new truck it will have a lot of issues.

I don't think quality would be an issue. Volvo is too big to let anything roll out the doors that would have issues. Too much at stake for them. Not like the RV world where it's all about the most production with lowest cost.

Volvo had a plant in Greensboro NC. Any idea if its still open?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived