Volvo 780 - 2017 excited and 2nd thoughts

Larry&Donna-AK

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think quality would be an issue. Volvo is too big to let anything roll out the doors that would have issues. Too much at stake for them. Not like the RV world where it's all about the most production with lowest cost.

Volvo had a plant in Greensboro NC. Any idea if its still open?

Greensboro is the office .they build at nrv plant

Just plan to spend more time looking it over, be prepared to not pick it up if does not meet your approval and plan to bring it back for warranty work right away if anything comes up after you pick up.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Just plan to spend more time looking it over, be prepared to not pick it up if does not meet your approval and plan to bring it back for warranty work right away if anything comes up after you pick up.

You Bet... I'll be right on the warranty issue. Also, I already planned a thorough inspection and told the Dealership to expect this because of all the special tweaks we incorporated into the Build. I don't believe my truck is a "run of the mill" fleet truck.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Since your truck will probably be moved to the specialty area like RickS's truck was for the additional items, I would expect the truck to be in as perfect mechanical shape as it can be.

Sounds like you have a plan with the dealer already.

Waiting on PICS!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Layoffs are a fact of life in industrial settings,quality is more often affected as a line is sped up- new workers -supplers pushing too hard-workers asked to move faster etc etc.

After 32 years in automotive assembly and machining JMHO

Layoffs are a wonderful concentrator to the work force(they try harder) <_<

non issue

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

I like "hone eagle" exactly how I feel, albeit worry some.

My thought eactly. I'll be okay as long as they don't layoff to deep and the Managers have to start turning wrenches. LOL

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Since your truck will probably be moved to the specialty area like RickS's truck was for the additional items, I would expect the truck to be in as perfect mechanical shape as it can be.

Sounds like you have a plan with the dealer already.

Waiting on PICS!

Oh yes, there will be pics

Layoffs are a fact of life in industrial settings,quality is more often affected as a line is sped up- new workers -supplers pushing too hard-workers asked to move faster etc etc.

After 32 years in automotive assembly and machining JMHO

Layoffs are a wonderful concentrator to the work force(they try harder) <_<

non issue

You know......"Layoffs are a wonderful concentrator to the work force(they try harder)"..........This also seems to be the "drill" in the airline

game........it was a major-factor in the Colgon Air Flt 3407 Accident........the "wonderful concentrator-effect" was such that Congress actually passed a law that increased the logged time before a low-time pilot could command a airliner (this factor was one of the factors in this accident)........anyhow, look at the bright side......we used to have cheap airline tickets.......(we still have cheep airline-pilot-pay)......

Drive on.......(look out for ........Concentrators.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Pretty hard to get a poorly "assembled" vehicle these days. You can get a poorly designed vehicle, and you can get an unreliable vehicle. Poorly designed is engineering's issue. Poor reliability is due to bad vendors or the design. Acceptance Test Procedures at every step of the assembly process along with automated tools that tighten properly and gage fit, have almost removed the assembly skill set. There will always be tribal knowledge, but the "Monday" vehicle is an archive of the past.

As Dolley would say Drive On with a big smile, ignore the doomsayers, and wave at the green with envy.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Larry,

The nice thing about a new truck is if you have any issues with it the dealer will have to fix it anyway. It is just some of your time to deal with it. Also, if it is beyond the dealerships capabilities the Volvo engineer's will have to get involved also. So, enjoy your new truck and make sure if there are any issue's get it dealt with before any of the warranties expire.

I celebrate lay offs. Get to play then. Lol. Way of live for us

There are whole industries set-up for layoffs. When I started in my industry, there were tons of job shops that were seasonal that heavier workloads in the cold months. Plenty of folks enjoyed that. Work 18-20 hour days 5-7 days a week. Save the money, get laid-off, collect unemployment and ride their Harleys from late spring to early fall and repeat!

Archived