Volvo 780 - 2017 excited and 2nd thoughts

Larry&Donna-AK

Didn't know who to tell about our excitement.
Our Dealership just informed us that our new "2017 Volvo 780" build date is scheduled for Ground Hog's Day (Feb 2, 2016).
Our 2nd thought is waiting for a 2017 model, we would like it now.

My DW & I decided to name the Truck and have decided one of 2 names. Mine is "Nanook" the other is "Silver-Tip".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for you that you will have to wait over a year to get your new toy. Feb 2,2017. Next year is 2016 the last time I looked at a calendar.

You're correct next year is 2016 but not waiting a year... We were informed during our ordering process that when the assembly line reopens (January 10, 2016) starts the next model year, 2017. Seemed strange to us also but what do I know, only what I've been told.

I might add there are a few things that was not suppose to happen, according to this forum regarding our Order but so far everything is coming together as we were told.

congratulations.....I can only imagine your joy over your new truck. I'm sure it will seem like a year before you can pick Nanook up. i'm sure he is will be anxious to meet his people too [once his brain is hooked up and functioning properly]. Give us some more info on Nanook, if you please. We don't want to be kept in suspense until Febuary. Be safe, Charlie

The model year can be as much as 18 months ahead of the actual date, a stunt the automobile industry has been pulling for a long time. The thing that counts is the assigned model year to the engine, which in this case probably will not match. It is conceiveable you might have an EPA 2015 engine in a 2017 truck, not that any of that matters to you, but to a manufacturer trying to beat the ever changing EPA requirements, it is important.

The model year can be as much as 18 months ahead of the actual date, a stunt the automobile industry has been pulling for a long time. The thing that counts is the assigned model year to the engine, which in this case probably will not match. It is conceiveable you might have an EPA 2015 engine in a 2017 truck, not that any of that matters to you, but to a manufacturer trying to beat the ever changing EPA requirements, it is important.

Well burst my bubble...Old Engine in a new Truck. LOL We're still excited

You're correct about the EPA stuff, my dealership there will be a big dollar increase for new regulations the 4th quarter 2016

congratulations.....I can only imagine your joy over your new truck. I'm sure it will seem like a year before you can pick Nanook up. i'm sure he is will be anxious to meet his people too [once his brain is hooked up and functioning properly]. Give us some more info on Nanook, if you please. We don't want to be kept in suspense until Febuary. Be safe, Charlie

I previously posted our Proposal, which the Forum, help us by pointing out our Parking Heater was missing from the order. It's now added. Also, I caught a lot of flack when I announced we were buying New with no FET, legally I might add.

That's exciting stuff Larry. I remember when we were waiting, and waiting.....and then it seemed to happen almost too fast as it got closer. LOL

The year ahead for the model year was a little confusing for us too but the good news is that you'll have a "brand new" truck for almost two years (2016 & 2017)!!!!

LOL

Glad it's working out.

David

That's exciting stuff Larry. I remember when we were waiting, and waiting.....and then it seemed to happen almost too fast as it got closer. LOL

The year ahead for the model year was a little confusing for us too but the good news is that you'll have a "brand new" truck for almost two years (2016 & 2017)!!!!

LOL

Glad it's working out.

David

Thank you David...Yes it's exiting times and Yes we are thinking time is short and we're not ready.

I was told, finally, no more changes by Volvo. LOL

What prompted the warning was this week we discovered a Engineer had put 4 Aux switches, we had asked for, in the position where the Trailer Brake handle is installed on the Dash. I asked "Where will the Trailer Brake Handle be installed" there was a Big "Duh that's not right" from Volvo. All is good now and Volvo states the Wiring Harness design is complete and will be manufactured sometime this month. Very Cool!

You're correct next year is 2016 but not waiting a year... We were informed during our ordering process that when the assembly line reopens (January 10, 2016) starts the next model year, 2017. Seemed strange to us also but what do I know, only what I've been told.

I might add there are a few things that was not suppose to happen, according to this forum regarding our Order but so far everything is coming together as we were told.

Brand new would be nice, you could drive that forever pulling a RV.

So when are they starting yours? Your first post says February 2nd 2017.

Brand new would be nice, you could drive that forever pulling a RV.

So when are they starting yours? Your first post says February 2nd 2017.

typo, we were told our build will start February 2, 2016 (the year model is suppose to be 2017). My dealership tells me they should be receiving the Truck February 2016, Mid month.

Volvo has become pretty accommodating building these "RV Haulers".....there was a time where they would not do some of the stuff that works well for us. Or it was difficult to get. Now they are much better....almost makes one want to build a new truck... :)

And David...I'll remind you that you are STILL waiting. But not much longer now. I'll see you guys in Tampa, when the wait will be OVER!!

Volvo has become pretty accommodating building these "RV Haulers".....there was a time where they would not do some of the stuff that works well for us. Or it was difficult to get. Now they are much better....almost makes one want to build a new truck... :)

And David...I'll remind you that you are STILL waiting. But not much longer now. I'll see you guys in Tampa, when the wait will be OVER!!

There was many road blocks with the Engineers but persistence wins. If I knew what I was doing the build would have been a lot easier. You seem to know what you want in a Hauler, maybe it's your turn.

I think you did a fine job Larry. Lets see if it turns out as intended....sometimes they don't quite get the build "right".

I DO know what I want in a hauler. I'd love to build a new one....but not just yet. Maybe someday. Or, I might not even HAVE a hauler in a few years...who knows where life takes you....

Larry.....Congrat's on the new truck. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when it's done. I think one of the things that has been learned by the Volvo engineers for the RV crowd is we seem to ask the question "why can't it be done that way". I know when I ordered mine they said I couldn't have the inverter/sink/bunk heater optioned together. I said "Why?" It got done the way I wanted it. You have done some things that they told me I couldn't do. If you are persistent I think you can get almost anything done within reason. I even talked to engineering about a 600/2250 option but they said the single rear axle couldn't take it so I compromised with the 500/1850 D13 spec. :) Hope to meet up at the national rally one day.

I think you did a fine job Larry. Lets see if it turns out as intended....sometimes they don't quite get the build "right".

I DO know what I want in a hauler. I'd love to build a new one....but not just yet. Maybe someday. Or, I might not even HAVE a hauler in a few years...who knows where life takes you...

My worry exactly....I requested many "out of the box" tweak's, let's hope they are just enough so they'll pay attention during the build process. One Engineer asked my Salesman "is he trying to build a Truck or Tractor" my Salesman said "No, just an RV" ;)

Larry.....Congrat's on the new truck. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when it's done. I think one of the things that has been learned by the Volvo engineers for the RV crowd is we seem to ask the question "why can't it be done that way". I know when I ordered mine they said I couldn't have the inverter/sink/bunk heater optioned together. I said "Why?" It got done the way I wanted it. You have done some things that they told me I couldn't do. If you are persistent I think you can get almost anything done within reason. I even talked to engineering about a 600/2250 option but they said the single rear axle couldn't take it so I compromised with the 500/1850 D13 spec. :) Hope to meet up at the national rally one day.

You're correct with persistence...Our Engineer said "no" way on the Sink, it was either the Inverter or Sink. When I looked at the Option Cost of the Sink I decided I could add the sink later and opted for the Inverter. You bet, there will be many Photo's, at least a few. I've been working on this project so long I'm obligated to show off my new Toy, I mean Tool, no I mean Truck. ;)

Oh yes, the rally is on our to do list.

Archived