Smart Car stops with rachet

GlennWest

Made mine. Steel wedge fabed up and welded ratchet on side that accepts cargo strap. Picked up a truck supply. Smaller version of what is on flatbeds. Jack Has picks on his site of his. Mine are similar.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

They are all fabbed....(the chocks). I designed the originals and Larry fabbed them, and since then Larry has made them shorter (lower profile) with just enough height to mount the ratchets. That provides better clearance for the bumper/fairings on the smart.

I prefer the ratchets that use a wrench to tighten, vs the bar. There is more room to use the wrench (socket) than a bar. But it may just be a personal preference thing.

One thing to point out on these - and it is a design "flaw" that I knew about and can live with - is that they are bolted to the deck and the ratchet is on them. Failure of the bolts will cause that wheel to be loose. But there are four of these on most installations - which is why I can live with the design flaw.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If this is what you are referring to, fabed mine with steel plate, angle iron and some welding help from Roadfitter. Ratchets from US Cargo Control. Coated with paint on Herculon available at any car parts store. With your welding skills should be a piece of cake. BTW raised mine 2" with the angle and use 2x12" beveled pieces to raise rear tires in order to store ramps under Smart with plenty of clearance. Fabed some "slip-on" rollers to slide ramps easily under Smart.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Jack,

I realized that flaw also but was willing to accept the risk. Didn't want to drill holes in the side of my bed to mount.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Glenn, I used 6 inch stainless angle iron and it works great. Angle iron is bolted to deck and strap winch is bolted to angle iron. No need to use stainless unless you happen to have some, Simple and functional. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Jack,

I realized that flaw also but was willing to accept the risk. Didn't want to drill holes in the side of my bed to mount.

Exactly right. Everything is a tradeoff. Ratchets on the side of the truck look "lousy" IMO. And we all know it is "all about the looks". :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When I get back to Texas I can go to bosses shop. Anything I want. But I'm stuck in Louisiana till summer. Whatever I use will have to be fabbed for me. Believe I will throw this by bed builder/single.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn,

One thing to note regarding the ratchets. They come with a left handed side for the wrench (socket) and a right handed side. Even saw one at the Rally that had ones on both ends.

This is do that when you put a wrench on it, it will be to the side of the car and not into the bumper.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I use Rotochoks on my trailer and the handles work great for the ratchets to tie down the Smart. Gregg @RV haulers makes a lot of these for their decks....maybe give him a call and it may be cheaper to have him ship you four of them complete since there is a 35% break in exchange rate buying from Canada now. Here is a picture of two mounted from deck level.

rear%252520lights-M.jpg

Thanks everyone. I had found the racket from Jack's site. Had not found any steel chops to mount them on. Thought they might be fabbed up

Got mine from Camping World, on sale online. The steel work great. I welded a plate to the bottom with one inch on each side where I drilled 4 holes to bolt them to. I can load from either side.

Bill

Archived